Retro Alts not exact copies of original costumes

most
determiner & pronoun
1.superlative of many, much.
2.greatest in amount or degree.

I’m sorry, English must not be your first language. My apologies.

You said most, meaning there are a considerable amount or many retro costumes that you haven’t looked at.
I said all, meaning both the retros that you have and haven’t looked at.

But whatever. I’m done arguing about this. This thread should have stayed dead.

Nah, it’s a valid issue.

And yeah, I kinda stated that I was disappointed with Jago and SabreWulf, and could only imagine some of the complaints that people might have with others…

Not really into this as deep as the others, but it’s a valid issue.

I have never flagged one of your posts, but frankly most of them deserve to be flagged. Here you are again, mucking up a thread with multiple posts being “offended” when people disagree with the patently absurd things you say. Calling anyone who points out your behavior a troll etc etc.

Don’t tag me anymore in your posts.

An all expenses unpaid vacation has been handed out.

Please keep discussions relevant to the topic and refrain from being argumentative, nonconstructive and flaming members, devs, or moderators.

2 Likes

I’m certain this stuff is never going to go away. No matter how much some of us wan to have this subject stop, it won’t stop people from brining it up.The best thing to do is ignore the posts. Anyway, back on topic.

I will be making my last post on this topic for I leave it in the dust. Whether you guys and gals want to continue this or not is up to you.

I don’t think we would ever get the exact replicas for the characters in KI at all. With some of them having an issue with bone rigging. Now I’m goanna be honest, I was disappointed that Riptor’s retro. specifically the segmented tail. I thought the ankle cuffs were a nice touch though. the head was expected to be the size that it was. That being said, I have no worries or concerns with it anymore. The only thing I’m disappointed in, is that retro Riptor doesn’t have a legit red color. (Wishing this one for @JEFFRON27 )

See I do wish they gave us exact retro costumes, however I feel like that’s never going to happen and thats not really a good thing. Now that the games on pc if the game is not that hard to mod we will be seeing accurate retros added and we will never get to use them and then it will open a whole new can of worms and really the devs put themselves in a situation where if that were to happen a lot of people would be complaining about how some modder was able to do it.

I get why some of them were changed, but in season 1 they were just lazily done, season 2 they were at least made kind of nice, season 3 has been a mixed bag, characters like Rash and Kim Wu have rather lazy retros in my opinion while Arbiters and Tusk are great.

I just wish IG would just at least officially ask our opinion on it and see if this is something the community really wants or is it just me and a few others complaining.

Why can’t this thread just die already?

1 Like

It’s the internet. Arguments and complaints never die, they just roll over to different threads/forums.

1 Like

cuz ~ People on this tread be BUMPIN’ BUMPIN"

1 Like

It’s a valid thread, why?

Because of the supposed issues encountered in trying to replicate the 90’s characters looks.

Arguably, way more people have played K.I. 1 and K.I. 2 than K.I. 3.

The ones who are returning late like me, have all been subjected to the marketing of these Retro Costumes, and expected them to be replicated well, if not perfectly.
I mean, it’s 2016 right? How difficult could it be?

I myself, was looking forward to how the retro costumes would look in this day and age, with simply updated graphics, but it seems that the engine the game runs on, simply can’t do it all.

That’s the excuse given, as to why the few ‘botched’ Retro Costumes can’t be fixed, even though updates roll out all the time.

That got me to thinking, well, I heard the engine talk surrounding Retro Riptor’s serrated tail etc, and wondered… whoa, they couldn’t even get rid of that serrated tail for the retro costume? What?! Hmmm, no, wait… WAIT… is this engine some kind of Soul Calibur rip-off, with Ivy and her whip skinned over as Riptor?

Riptor certainly has some tail moves that remind me of Ivy’s moves.
The down,away, kick, overhead flip, body slam thing, the 3 overhead tail strikes she does while in that crouching stance, and even the way the whip… sorry… tail, launches the opponent before recapture during the same shadow version, down, away, kick, overhead flip, body slam thing.

Just a thought, haha!

I don’t read all the technically oriented, engine related posts so clearly I don’t know for sure, but do I know that people really want to see an exact copy of the characters they grew up fighting for.

And I just wanted to throw this out there for conversation, and to enlighten the younger generation to why the more experienced people keep asking for the players they knew and love.

The Retro Costumes were promised, and the developers made good on alot of them.

But there will always be people who wonder why a few are just so… off, and I feel it’s because of this: The critical information about the game engine not being able to replicate those old models, isn’t really mainstream news.
It has to be, because then people would try to understand that the devs tried their best, and wouldn’t be asking cluelessly.

(Chief Thunder is a completely different issue, irrelevant to this post.)

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

I myself, only found out about the engine’s minor (minor maybe, haha) short-comings a few days before I got that ban from xSkeletalx.

His official reason in the private message? Me, telling the agitated posters in the ‘Tea-bagging’ forum, that complaining because someone hit the down button over your character isn’t even comparable to crying foul. I did do the namecalling thing and called them ‘crybabies’ for complaining over that, which wasn’t so bad to me, but it’s still wrong to ‘name-call’. Anyway, the down button will always work in-game, haha. Why imagine someone tea-bagging you, when it’s not actually happening? That’s SOME vivid, sexually precocious imagination players have! Hahaha. :joy:

Let’s see if I can stay out of trouble!

Okay I apologize to everyone who’ve been trying to avoid seeing this thread pop up over and over. However I felt the need to address this.

The Riptor tail was due to the bone rigging system, not the engine. Because of how the rig was set up her default Riptor design, the retro Riptor wound up looking like it did. You couldn’t get the tail like it was in KI-1 without making a completely new bone rigging system unless you found a way to heavily modify it, but you won’t get a perfect look of the modified skeleton right form the get go.

the bone rigging system is why Cinder has an extra thumb on his retro. Because when they were rigging Cinder, his default had the same bone rig. And believe me, I was hoping her tail in her retro design would not be segmented like that, but I did expect it, so I got over it quickly.

this also applies to Glacius as well.

Yeah… the Retro Glacius still doesn’t look nearly as good as his K.I. 1 or K.I.2 counterparts should look with updated graphics to me either, the neck part just always looks weird… but if it can’t be helped, then that’s that.

I’m a thoughtful guy, and, to me, this is kind of a ‘super privilege’ to be able to be discussing the actual design of a game, with the developers themselves. I guess only possible in this era, but I really appreciate it. Some games are just done, and set in stone / bone (haha) with no fixes or no direct developer interaction.

Just because we can communicate doesn’t mean they can overhaul the system.

But people, myself included, were really unaware of the actual system issues and what not, and wrongfully assumed that the artists were trash.

I actually like retro Glacius. I mean I know the neck thing is kinda weird, but with him being an alien in the first place it’s forgivable.

6 Likes

Though the original KI1 Thunder isn’t in the game, I think I’ve found a good substitute in customization mode. (Also found KI2 Spinal)

Asking for costumes in KI

Ken’s retro looks a bit odd (but better than his default)
Ryu’s retro looks fine so…
Also Nash’s retro looks great with his retro
Also Urien’s retro looks fine too
Guile’s retro looks like guile and its great
And they have shown of Alex and Ibuki retros before which also look great

So…aside from ken they are all really good actually

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn’t go that far. Chun Li has been wearing the same outfit for years and it never looked bad in 3D. They even had her Alpha costume as DLC in SFIV and UMVC3 and it still looks fine.

Two things - I don’t like that outfit in 2D, so while I agree that they did a good job bringing it to 3D and it works just as well, I still don’t like it.

Second, just because some outfits translate well doesn’t mean they all do. I’m very comfortable asserting that Ken and Ryu’s alpha translations in SFV look just as accurate to the original as your Chun Linexample but they look downright awful. Some of that is the engine and style of SFV. Even Chun Li looks significantly better in the Marvel 3 style than in SFIV.

This thread is ancient and I didn’t make those comments in a vacuum. There were people posting that KI should learn from SF on how to do a retro. I still don’t think you can make that case.

You should have said that before. You made it sound like all old outfits in general don’t translate