Remember when people were mad about guest characters in KI

What’s a Drew?

1 Like

Scalebound

1 Like

Ah…

In Tekken 7, anybody can wear a Bullet Club T-Shirt (the Bone Soldier version, the Tekken X Heihachi version and the Kenny Omega X Byran Fury version), so any character coming up impo, I’m good with.

Other games…eh, it’s either a hit or a miss.

It’s funny. When they first announced that Rash was going to be a playable character in KI it caught me (and I’m sure many) by surprise. But Rash was one of those characters that I thought he didn’t quite have a place in KI but let’s play with him first before we pass judgment. Turns out Rash is very fun to play with and now seems like he fits right in with the cast. Another one of those characters was General RAAM. My thinking “How could this lumbering thing do? How is he going to be able to keep up with everyone else in the cast? He’s slow, lacks personality, and is uninteresting.” (I’ve never played and of the GOW series btw). Turns out, after playing with him, he is my favorite character from S3. He is so much fun for how simple of a character he is. So I do not mind guests at all personally as long as they add something to the game.

I can see the argument about “But this guest character is taking up a spot when they could have put THIS character in the game”. I really think this all depends on the legacy of the game itself. While MK has a much larger legacy than KI does KI is able to reasonably put all of their legacy characters in the game and have a few spots to spare for new characters and guests before they pass the threshold of having too many characters in a game. If MK had to fit in all of their legacy characters, new characters, AND guests the roster would be close to 75 characters. And that surpasses MK: Armageddon ridiculousness of rosters (62 characters?!?!?!?!)

1 Like

tekken tag tournament 2 has 59 characters.
Personally, i would love to see a Mortal Kombat game where every character from the past comes back, in exchange for very little extra content besides the fighting system and arcade and versus modes.

1 Like

Since you bring up Tekken - this is a game that has two (!) fighting bears as well as both a dinosaur and kangaroo that fight with boxing gloves. And people are getting all bent about guest characters…

4 Likes

You forgot this

Or this

6 Likes

Gon is the best guest ever!

Uhh, and Geese, Cloud, Bayonetta, Sonic, Snake, Darth Vader, Yoda, Link, Sakura, Akuma, Alien, Predator, Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Leatherface, Earthworm Jim…

1 Like

I was referring to the large amount of guest characters only in Injustice 2

Man… What do they have against Fujin!? I really hope he ends up in MKX as the sort of leader / god / guide for the good guys, going up against his former friend Raiden who’s almost assuredly going to be on the side of evil this time. It’s really kind of amazing that certain characters, such as Tanya (like you mentioned), Fujin, and Sareena are kinda well known characters that many hardcore fans want and yet we still don’t see them.

I know, they have tons of characters to choose from and everyone has their preferences. I just wish they’d lower the number of characters that have been in like 8+ games, especially if they’re redundant or superfluous and give some love to some of the lesser known, but still requested characters.

Yeah, I was really disappointed too. I hate Freddy. He’s honestly one of my least favorite characters (right up there with Leatherface, ironically). I’m not a horror icon fan either, but even among them, those are my two least favorite.

I think what was so unique about this situation, for me, at least, was that MK had never had guests like that before, so no one really even considered it as an option or a possibility and everyone was just focused on which MK character would come next. I mean, maybe I’m wrong, maybe Kratos came first at launch, I can’t remember, but even then…

So when you have all of these visions of MK characters you really like from the series making the cut, it’s a huge let down when NONE of them get picked and instead you’re stuck with someone that has nothing to do with the story and is someone you genuinely dislike.

It’s not even a matter that he took a spot that was guaranteed to someone else. I mean yeah, there was that feeling at first, but really, nothing was guaranteed, obviously, many just took for granted that it’d be an MK character because we had zero reason to assume otherwise. I think that’s where the whole “that guest took a regular character’s spot” sentiment comes from, at least for some people.

Yeah, I still remember the rage flowing on MKO that day. Yikes…

LOL Gon was super annoying. Losing to someone using Gon was the ultimate troll in the group of people I played with back then.

For real, I would be over the moon happy if these three wound up being in MK XI.

Not me, but yeah… I feel like there was something to do here with someone dying and Leatherface being put in the game as a sort of homage to that person, but I can’t recall that for certain. Either way, these characters were definitely designed for people that were interested in them and that’s not me. As much as it sucks, I think I just need to get used to the idea that DLC in MK games will likely be loaded with a majority of characters that I’m not interested in. At least now I’m kinda mentally prepared to just roll my eyes and say “oh well,” as opposed to the frustration I felt in the MK9 days.

I agree that I’d love to see more IG original character designs. I think they’re extremely good at coming up with new characters that are unique and fun to use. I’m not a fan of the characters of Rash, Arbiter and Raam, but that’s just me. I would’ve taken Joanna Dark, Kaim Argonar, Raziel, Kain and many other characters, both in the MS family and outside of it over those three.

But I’m still happy for the people that love Battletoads, Halo and Gears. I’m sure toad fans were pretty psyched to get to control one of their guys after so long and to have him be so fun and so accurate to the old characters in many ways. I’m sure it was also a thrill for many Halo and Gears fans who undoubtedly contributed a substantial amount of money to this game and who knows, if that helps them put out more content or helps them see KI’s viability, then that’s a win, even if it’s not really the win I was looking for.

Obviously you know why guests are put in games. You know they’re money makers and people request them and what not. It’s all just a matter of taste. If Raziel and Kain were in this game, I’d be insanely happy, but I’m sure a lot of people would be confused as to who they were and would want different characters. Can’t please everyone, of course.

I’m really curious who MK XI will get and who Injustice 3 will get. MK’s running out of iconic horror characters. I’m not sure if WB owns all of them, but would people really be that psyched for another go-round in the same movie genre? Kinda makes me wonder if they’ll start putting DC characters in as guests.

As for Injustice, I think it depends on who makes the cut out of the gate, but yeah, I could see one more MK character making the cut like Mileena or Kitana perhaps.

As much as I don’t personally love guests in MK, Spawn would be a pretty cool option if he was done right (aka much better than he was done in Soul Calibur). Also, I’d love to see Buffy in MK! Not sure how she’d work, but she’s rather acrobatic and has weapons like a crossbow, a stake, and what not, so yeah, I could definitely think of worse guests!

Yeah Tekken definitely has an eclectic group of random WTF characters. To be honest, I’d rather they replaced those characters as well. I’d take Lei or Zafina over Kuma any day.

But much like all of the other guests, there are some characters I’m okay with, some really I’d like to see in a game, and some I really wouldn’t and it’s all just a matter of taste. I’m sure some love Kuma in Tekken or love the horror guests in MK and more power to them. It’s hard for anyone to definitively determine who “deserves” a spot in a game when they’re trying to make a game for as many people as possible.

1 Like

I will at least try inj2 now just for the TMNT.

1 Like

I want to try Geese and Noctis in Tekken 7. :grin:

How much you want to bet one of the guest characters in the next MK is Pennywise, WB has the film rights for “IT” after all.

2 Likes

It might be one of the monsters from Rampage.

I look up this stuff for fun. And WB only owned Freddy and Jason. Alien and Predator are owned by 20th Century Fox. And Leatherface is owned by Tobe Hooper and Kim Henkel. The writer and producer of the original movie.

1 Like

Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest) in Rivals of Aether