Rational Discussion of Three Stages for Season 3 Thread

That is what the people who will hate S3 probably say. For one,thenUltra edition is all weird. They can add a classic game but which one since they ran out. Abattletoads game? It seems short on content righting now. More infomplz

This is very true. At some point KI is going to need to stop playing catch up and look back and see what KI has done for itself instead of what it shares with other fighting games.

1 Like

To be fair the comparison with SFV doesn’t really work. The decision making regarding S3 content was likely mapped out and planned months ago. At this point it’s too late to change course, so it’s not like they can look at the reception SFV is getting and go “We want to avoid that”.

Having said that they should definitely look at the way they handle things in the future. SFV has gotten a lot of flack for the way they handled the launch, with people buying it expecting things like Arcade mode and VS CPU options. Definitely could have been communicated clearer, and the same goes for KI. People don’t just go off on one in a 600+ post thread for no reason and all this “just wait and see” stuff is all a bit too coy for my liking.

I don’t think his main argument is lack of characters/stages. It’s mostly about lack of modes for casual players like an ordinary tower/arcade mode. I made another thread regarding the lack of content and SFV being ripped apart because of it. KI launched in a very similar place and is still pretty close to what SFV had albeit the KI story is only slightly better. Check out the thread Angry Joe Tears SFV, Explains Single Player Content is Important

Moreover, SFV was developed almost from the ground up. New models for the characters, new everything.
KI is an established game. S3 will be polish and new features.
No matter how you look at it, 5 more stages would add very little to KI.

Well, dudes, I think all of us can agree with the fact that having a stage per character would be awesome
too bad, create a game needs compromises between timelines, budget, and God knows how many other things.
If Rukari said that this is the only negative news about S3 (and we are only speaking about stage numbers
twenty freakking stages are not so few) I’m sure that all the rest would be a bomb! IG never let me down.

now gimme a true ardace ladder! Gimme! Gimmeeeeeeee!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Even Xbox players can ■■■■ around with the latency of their connection. This isn’t a reason to segregate the player base.

I don’t know what other crowd you think they should be trying to lure in at this point. They basically bend over backwards to make competitive players happy as is.

The problem with this is that you’re basically insisting that they watch every word they say – and the more they have to manage the message, the less they engage with us on a human level, and the less insight we glean about the development of the game as a result of their frank and unguarded dialogue on the matter. That’s basically a regress to the days when devs didn’t engage in dialogue with their fans at all, which surely isn’t a desirable situation for anyone.

A potential customer is not a boss paying someone’s wages. Developers are incentivized (but certainly not required) to make the decisions which they feel will best suit their customers in aggregate. We get to be disappointed, and our decisions wrt whether or not to buy the game have an indirect correlation with employee wages at the studio, but our feedback isn’t the only metric of success, and it’s silly to suggest that a receipt for a purchase of the game gives you license to call the shots.

Hell, a billionaire could even drop in tomorrow, put up $100mil, and decide that KI is now a MOBA about space ponies, and – assuming MS and IG went for it – fan opinions would no longer necessarily matter at all.

KI launched at $20, and currently has way, waaaaaaaaaaay more content than SFV. Its online matchmaking, lobbies, and general online connectivity requirements stuff is also working better; the UI absolutely leaves SFV’s UI for dead; KI has better practice and dojo features by miles in almost every regard; and KI has shadows, which is a friggen amazing technology that you can definitely catch critics lamenting the absence of in SFV and other games. And I doubt this covers everything – the point is that this is a pretty brutal comparison on SFV’s end.

At this point I’m still a bit bewildered by the claims that KI is a “budget” or “poverty” title. Hell, basically the only fighting games that seem to have proper budgets by this standard are MKX and Smash4, and even MKX has less stages than KI.

3 Likes

I did say “KI Launched” in a similar place. Sure it got better with time but lobbies are hardly something any game should brag about. The fighting UI is actually pretty dated and plenty of people on here have brought it up and have wanted it to be updated. MKX’s in game fighting UI is currently the most professional and most visually appealing imo, the character select is also pretty good as well. The DOJO hasn’t aged well and plenty of people on here have complained how hard and precise some of those final lessons are. Although MKX has less stages than KI the budgets of both games are clearly visible in the quality of the final product. Just look at the animations and there is a huge quality difference between those of MKX and KI.

I would totally be down to help in community funding for stages for each character
seems only fitting that each character gets fleshed out with a theme and background

I think the devs heard us loud and clear.
MORE STAGES WILL BE DLC/COMMUNITY FUNDED 100%.
and because of that S4 will be a thing.

Thank you

I’m sure the devs are flattered at the realization that we’d quickly rally to financially support DLC, but I think there are other problems to consider.

First, I don’t think they’d be comfortable at the thought of the fans ‘owning’ them, so to speak. The backlash when the inevitable disgruntled contributors rise up and start publicly slinging mud over “misappropriated funds” isn’t a pleasant thing to ponder.

Second, (and probably more importantly), funding may not be the big setback. I’m guessing TIME is the resource they’re short on. I’m betting they have at least the next year all booked up with schedules. We can throw all the money we want at the game, but at some point teams of people are going to have to dedicate their talents to these requested features. Teams of people whose talents are needed elsewhere to meet deadlines. Recall how much time lapsed between the promise of Shago, and his delivery. And that’s just one character.

3 Likes

I think ki characters will just have stages (bar arby because it’s halo and sales). Tusk should have his own stage, he deserves that. The new guys will probably have different settings on the same stages. They’ll have direct links to characters and settings.
Mira and maya, dusk and Dawn.
Hopefully this is the case but since they’re touching up the stages I hope they’re touching up the characters aswell. Give everything a slick coat of gloss.
Sf5 launched at full retail price with not much in it. Ki launched free with the option to buy which was less than a 3rd of sf5s price.
If there is now gonna be a retail price I hope they still release packs down the road

As for DLC or community funds
if there are no more seasons after this, they should probably do a kickstarter fund, with goals. First goal reached: shadow character, second goal reached: 3 extra stages, etc

However let certain things that are reached (like stages) be free for everyone else (at least in so far they have the season/characters it belongs to)

Not everyone likes these things, but there is a solid fanbase who I believe wouldnt mind helping out financially.
I havent even played as much as most other people here (or are as good) but I already spent more then on any other game ever

Also, unrelated, just got my shadow ruffian achievement!! Thanks for everyone who helped challenge my shadow :smile:

How many times did the devs have to confirm, reconfirm and flat out just tell us what the 3 stages statement meant and still people here don’t believe them or cling to some hope that there’s a way around it?

Why is that? Because of their conduct with the fans.

I know what you’re saying and it’s not wrong, but how many times has the forum exploded like this because of how they engage us?

Yes, my “keeping them in a job” statement was extreme, but I’d declared it as such the very next sentence after stating it. I didn’t say it drop the mic and watch the room go mental.

Like I said before, they knew what they were doing when they said it and this explosion on the forum is their design. Explosions tend to do damage.

Like some other news from S2 that I called out on, it’s the way they tell us these things that gets to me. Something that is going to cause commotion should be addressed and discussed or at least explained, not dropped in one sentence for people to find like a crime scene clue.

They can still interact with us about this information no matter how they give it to us, but I’d rather they not tell us something like that without counter-balancing it with something else, because clearly the lighting info (which looks fantastic) is totally over-shadowed by this tiny segment of a sentence.

I see a lot of people saying that the 2 stages we know about are Kim Wu’s and The Arbiter and that the 3rd stage is a mystery. If u look back at the KI world cup footage the devs said “wait until you see Rash’s stage” so that confirms Rash has one. So unless he shares a hybrid stage with The Arbiter they are likely to get their own unique stages.

Can you tell us exactly when they said that? The whole reveal portion of KIWC is on Max’ YouTube channel. So a video with a time stamp would be highly appreciated.

1 Like

K, firstly, I’m not “bragging” about any of this. I know fanboys do this all the time, but it’d a bit odd to brag about a video game you happen to play. And as you stated, lot of the things I noted aren’t exactly grounds for bragging anyway – although I do tend to believe in giving kudos to the few people who buck the trend in situations where being a ■■■■ is the norm. I’m more making the point that SFV’s state is particularly ■■■■■■■ to a point where it’s hard to compare it to KI, before or now.

KI launched for $20. $20 is not a similar place to SFV, and I think it’d be misleading to suggest that $20 is a third of $60 and KI had a third as many launch characters and be done with it, because (1) we rightly place greater expectation in terms of value per dollar on a $60 purchase than a $20 one; (2) this is 2016, current-gen fighting games oughtn’t get the same passes for lacking content and features as in 2013, when current-gen fighting games nearly didn’t exist; and (3) SFV is a far more broken game at launch than KI was. I could go further and explore what $40 buys you in KI now compared to SFV, or speculate about season 3, but surely the point doesn’t need to be labored any further.

I’m not sure you get what I mean by “UI”. Infil’s post should give you a better idea. I don’t take the point that KI’s in-match HUD is “dated”, a visual change could be cool but I think the additions they introduced recently (breaker/reversal/punish notifications) have addressed any functional complaints I might’ve had.

The dojo is miles ahead of SFV – or indeed, any game that isn’t Skullgirls, but SFV is particularly behind. I’m pretty sure there aren’t a lot of dojos teaching frame traps or meaties out there. The final lessons are a bunch of pointless combos, sure; and, more importantly, I’d like to see them go further with the delivery of useful fighting game knowledge, not to mention teaching individual character gameplans, integrating shadows into lessons, etc. But I think with time we’ve forgotten how big a deal KI’s dojo was, whilst not noticing that other games haven’t even bothered to replicate it.

And if you were going to pick one point on which to contrast MKX with KI, it probably shouldn’t’ve been the animations. Moves in MKX look kinda janky compared to the mostly excellent KI animations, as is kinda NRS tradition; juggles in MKX look terrible. MKX stands out in terms of the sheer volume and detail on their visual assets, sure, as well as the scale of the production on their story mode – but this whole MKX thing is a diversion, the game seems to be an outlier in an entire genre where production doesn’t tend to outscale that of KI.

1 Like

This actually make sense considering Rash was the first character, and it doesn’t seem likely that “only three stages” situation was preplanned.
If stages are made with the characters or at least in close proximity, then Rash most likely has the first stage

Oh boy
 salt incoming. :slight_smile:

I think the problem with this is that we’re talking about ~5 stages (and I believe it’s been stated that stages cost more than characters) whereas the last community fund got us one character who already half-existed; and community fund money goes into tournament pots, not into funding production, then the devs just write off the extra production on the content offered for hitting the funding goal. That approach isn’t going to scale to building 5 stages.

^Also this. You get unpleasant people putting $5 into the fund so they can write angry messages to the devs and generally try to call the shots and claim they have a right to do so, whilst some dude who threw $20k in basically lets them get on with the project.

I also get the impression that Microsoft, in particular, wouldn’t get away with crowdfunding that easily. In the real world even megacorporations need to balance budgets and whatnot or they’ll slowly go insolvent, but people look at MS and say they’re friggen rich, so they should pour disproportionate amounts of cash into the things we want or else they’re cheapskates. Frankly I’m surprised that Sony got away with sorta crowdfunding Shenmue 3, and even that garnered a lot of bad press.

^This too! But also, the cost of a project is actually probably half staff wages and salaries, and much of the rest of it is there to support said staff. Of course they’re wont to keep said staff on the payroll regardless of whether a specific project goes forward (though layoffs are depressingly common in game dev
), but companies talk about how their people are allocated to projects in terms of money spent because it’s a good way of measuring the total work/resource investment in a project.

It’s still true that because it’s hard to upscale production (i.e. hire more people, put them on a project and sensibly delegate tasks to them), you can’t just say they should throw more resources at it. We can’t really tell how difficult that is from the outside. I think one risk inherent in doing this is that it’d stick IG with a big team of people with nothing to do once most of season 3 has shipped, whereas KI has come a long way on the slow burn of a smaller team working on the game long-term. A bigger team would also stymie the agility of production, making content and fixes slower to deliver and making it harder for the devs to communicate with the community.

To some extent I think it’s that a lot of KI’s fanbase is weirdly obsessive and serious – especially weird considering how light-hearted and goofy the KI property is, being a product of '90s Rare and filled with cheesy trope characters – and kinda needs to find some chill. I’m sure the devs worry enough about their every word as is when they front a stream to engage with us. If we turn the screws then we might get cleaner messaging, but at what cost?

I know dude, I’ve aired my grievances about the way they unveiled this too. I think they should’ve coupled this with something which helps to balance out the value proposition for the season 3 package, at whatever time they were ready to announce that stuff, or at least should’ve just put it in its own article and taken the hit directly.

But I guess this Microsoft event thing is less than 5 days out, so maybe we’re making too big a deal out of a couple of days’ wait.

2 Likes