RASH is gone so what do we think? REVIEW

I don’t think I did… You’re basically saying “cover songs are lazy, and therefore Guest Characters are lazy”. Totally different media, totally different creative and structural processes involved. In my opinion, it’s not a good comparison.

WARNING: This portion of the post is off-topic
You’re also devaluing cover songs, which is puzzling since you’re a musician. Some really amazing covers exist, interesting renditions of existing songs with a new spin (see Fantomas - Director’s Cut, A Perfect Circle - eMOTIVE, among others). New arrangements should be made if the cover is to be interesting or even worth doing; one does not have to proceed with the original arrangements, and frankly, why would one be so inclined? I guess if you’re in one of those cover bands that plays sports bars, perhaps…

/off topic discussion

1 Like

Exactly there is a good way and a bad way. Good way is how Capcom incorporated Final Fight characters from a brawler type game into Street Fighter. Bad way is a Battletoad in KI who is a cartoon in a lore that isn’t based on cartoony imagery. This isn’t Who Framed Roger Rabbit

And also everyone WHY ISNT KI ON RARE REPLAYS COVER???

The game was huge in the arcade (bigger thsn battle toads) and sold 4 million coppies on the snese yet where is our representation?

The answer is that the face didnt fit, the art, the style, the theme is different. Orchid would have looked like a street Walker, sabre wulf too scary, and fulgore… them plasma blades? Hum its hardly in keeping with a familly title. Maybe thats why if u blink ur miss fulgore in the trailer?

Even joanna is represented in her more simplified cartoon self on the box art. A more mono tone rounded and more fitting look to sink into the background of looney toons and pinatas.

So if KI doesnt fit on rare replays cover then how comes Rash fits into KI3? Where is the common respect for our franchise. Where is our representation.

I like rash, i like his design, i like how he plays, hes perfect for what he “is”

BUT i dont like our game being draged in on the band waggon just because of hype and timing is right and is along side another AAA title. Ki shouldn’t be in the spot light to extend rare replays hype or just to give us somthing exclusive to play over thr oress conference weekend.

Ms needs to hype the h.ell out of OUR game and not ride the waves of others this for me was a “lazy” atempt to steal some advertising for KI inatead of creating its OWN buzz.

When i say lazy it regards to PR not development. We all know that IG have done a fantastic job… but guys we dont struggle with development we struggle with PR and advertisement.

Maybe the next time we get a on stage demo will be at e3 or something for ANOTHER tie in guest charracter thats casing a storm in gears 4 or somthing??

Second rate lazy choices off the backbof others advertisement is lazy.

Im hopeing ive made nyself clearer even if people dont agree.

And this is where we’ll have to agree to disagree. As I’ve previously stated, several aspects of KI have always struck me as a bit tongue-in-cheek, so Rash doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb to me. A contrast, sure, but not as big of a contrast as Cuphead or Goat Simulator’s protagonist.

Replace the word “lazy” with “cost effective” (Rash is Rare property) and “steal” with “garner”, and I’d 100% agree with this.

1 Like

So one thing…

Any guest character appearing in KI isn’t part of KI canon. We aren’t going to try and rationalize them into the fiction of KI, or its story. They’re there for fun.

What we will do with any guest is keep the character accurate to their origins, which I think we’ve done very well with Rash.

9 Likes

Understood, will they take up space on the main Character select screen or can they be on a separate or hidden panel to choose from?

1 Like

Nice idea @kixmix id like them seperate somehow too.

@TempusChaoti that makes sense… and makes me feel better. Adam the lore has been such a mess and we are actually getting somewhere with it now. We have great concepts we just need to flesh them out.

My concern was that these guests that are seperate to KI in lore and are extra are taking spaces from things IG could be creating. Some of the best characters in ki are the new ones.

The community has so many great ideas and Ig has so much talent to make them happen that extra guests seem wasteful… kinda.

Aside from that people like joanna share SO much dna with ki that they could basically be in the game and lore with almost no tweaks.

You could have expanded KIs lore by double just by added joanna into the mix. That doesnt mean wed exspect the storties to be deepy in twined or conflict against each together but the scope would be there.

Id love to seewhat dayta dyne was doing to stopethe rise of ultra tech and there u go the scope for characters flood in. Ultra tech has a human (alien run) rival boom.

I know this is a game. I know this is a fun game at heart and i know that people play this game becuase its still more fun than others and more diverse. I get all that BUT a few simple tweaks and we could have a story and lore to rival MK and SF.

So mr @marbeldecker this is what i meant by lazy or pridictable or cheap (cost effective)

Lol (shade)

We i feel jumped on the wave. Great for business fun for game play but as adam discussed does nothing for our lore.

At no point was lazy aimed at IG they have done the most AMAZING job. I DM phill Spencer on twitter after asking him when IG is going to finish the rest of the game!i want it!

He of course said when we have the right studio and when they have the rought amount of time. Bahh!

And that’s good enough for me. I’ve never revered KI lore as incredibly immersive, but I’ve always regarded the gameplay to be top-notch… and anything that’s good for business will keep that top-notch gameplay coming.

1 Like

Im pleased for you marbel

But guess what i want it all!

Dont settle for good enough lets have the best gameplay and the best lore.

I’m not going to argue any longer. I don’t see the selection of Rash as lazy based on what you describe. It seems like all the factors you are criticizing are really well considered and legitimate reasons to pick Rash. But I think your position on some subjects is clear, and legitimate:

1. you think they did a good job of representing Rash in the game (I agree).
  2. Despite this, you are unhappy at the inclusion of Rash as a guest character (which is an opinion - and therefore not something I could ever - or would ever want to- argue with)

Yes I would.

1 Like

You would prefer an album of covers of other performers’ songs over new material of the band you like? I find that hard to believe.

1 Like

IM NOT GOING TO ARGUE but u pick away at my suggestions and thoughts

Have your own lol.

Give it a rest read my above statement ur underatand what i meant.

Or ask @Marbledecker hes got it now . Lol

U guys lol

Kixmix killed it lol.

Boom thats what i mean!

Our bands good enough to have its OWN title track!

And if we are going to duo its going to be with people that enharnce our style.

Some of my favorite performances by my favorite artists are covers. I like classical music too. Every classical performance is a “cover.” I like remakes of old movies too - as long as they are done well. KI is a remake of an old game. Would you rather have a brand new fighting game IP made instead of KI?

1 Like

If you like an artist, it’s not just about what they can come up with themselves, it’s about how they sing or represent the material they’re covering. Annie Lennox (Eurythmics singer) has an amazing album of covers called Medusa. It’s got (IMO) some better versions of the songs on it than the originals. Heck, most of the songs from the crooners in the 50s were all covers, it was just how Sinatra, Ella, Martin, or any of the other singers represented the material.

Talking Heads “Take me to the river” is a cover…
DEVO’s “Satisfaction” is better than the 'stones original version, IMO…
Hendrix’s “Hey Joe” is a cover…
Aretha Franklin’s “Respect” is a cover…
Chili Pepper’s “Higher ground” a cover…

etc.

/apologies for the derail. Carry on re: Rash review

2 Likes

I know what you mean same here, I like Tears for Fears’ “Mad World” but I also like Gary Jules’ version which is much different compared to the original. What I mean to say is not to the point where you like an artist so much that anything they do is gold even if it is a cover album. What I mean to say is you appreciate an artist and their original material to the point that you get excited to hear their next album but it is deflating when from then on they do a cover album while that artist has so much potential with their own material. We don’t need 23 versions of Mad World or Tears in Heaven.

Also Annie Lennox, at this point in her career can do a cover album and whatever but can you imagine Eurythmix doing a cover album after they got attention in the 80’s, that would’ve left fans disenchanted since they are pretty fresh and giving the idea that they can’t come up with new material quick enough…

1 Like

But the inclusion of two guest characters in a season isn’t the equivalent of releasing a cover album, it’s like having two covers on an album and the rest is original material.

3 Likes