Random Character Tournament Vol. 5: Rememberance Edition šŸ™ (CONCLUDED)

My sisterā€™s tv isnā€™t a good source to explain things.

Thanks, but Iā€™ll pass. Again thanks for the invite/thanks for inviting me. Really appreciate that too, Vlad :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, who won?
Cable service sucks, just moved and an issue with the internet, will get a patchy substitute till dec. 16th, but have been without internet for a bitā€¦

Really sad that the aganos guy wins V5 , the thread is dead like the tourmey never happened. No ggs, no advertising the winner. Woow. He played really well too, him and tigerspirit

4 Likes

Itā€™s horrible man. So much that I donā€™t think I should be in V6, I imagine the connection issues were on the hostsā€™ end and not mine. Really wanted to win the tournament with fulgore, that story would have come full circle.

We didnā€™t even get any custom pictures this time around.

OK, seriously, did something wrong happen with this tournament? This thread is quieter than it was before the tournament beganā€¦

3 Likes

@PVXenoraptor So were you having connection issues?

I donā€™t know where the archived stream isā€¦ :cry:

We were, then it finally settled.

1 Like

Alright, I feel this needs to be said. I will be discussion this tournament, how it shaped up and what can be done better.

First off, though, Iā€™d like to shoutout @PVXenoraptor, @AlejG, @ItzTymeToDul and @lewisthewizard for doing their absolute best to keep things going with the conditions that arose. I canā€™t express how awesome you fellas are and despite the frustrations and slip-ups, how calm you guys were and kept things rolling for the most part. That stream, although having issues getting games going, was entertaining with talks and some rather cool videos.

So letā€™s address the elephant in the room, shall we? Why arenā€™t we talking, why is this thread dead, what is going on?

Well, to keep things as simple as possible, this tournament essentially featured the most amounts of disqualifications from no-shows or people leaving. So much so that although our local Aganos winner rightfully deserved the victory, it fell flat nonetheless. This is in part because I took off when it was getting crazy close. I do apologize, I tried to make time for the tournament but three hours proved too much for me, for that I am sorry.

Along the plethora of disqualifications, our host had to take off, and although he pre-warned us of this happening, it still had an impact before we had another host to help our streamer manage everything. I really felt terrible as he was trying to manage a stream, the opponents and keep track of scores before being helped later on by @ItzTymeToDul.

Aside from that, another main issue was the connectivity issue. This one is common for this tournament, but I feel as if it hit harder as matches dropped, players couldnā€™t rejoin and on occasion, we couldnā€™t watch the fight for some reason. This became frustrating and some of our local members became a bit, ā€œneedyā€. With all due respect, you guys have to be patient with them, they are trying to get things going.

TL;DR
This tournament lost its hype due to a number of factors: connection issues, hosting issues, and multiple disqualifications. Because of this, it almost seems as if this tournament never happened, because it didnā€™t much end on a good note.

I do have some suggestions, though, take them with a grain of salt - just feel I should say it regardless.

Connectivity: Connection issues happen, we are playing from all over the world and one person is trying to capture that. Unfortunately, disqualifications occur if someone isnā€™t able to get their match going on stream. That really isnā€™t fair, if someone canā€™t get into the ā€œstreamā€ lobby, they should have at least the option of playing a match in exhibition and not forced to forfeit their match.

Disqualifications: This happened because people either didnā€™t show up, didnā€™t respond in time, or left. This has to be said, if you donā€™t show up then why did you even register? There is plenty of reminders including an email of the tournament reminding you that your match is next or that the tournament is started. If you have prior engagements, thatā€™s cool - life happens I understand. But, there should be a check-in phase to gather the participants, give 5 minutes max to get ready and get going, otherwise, they will forfeit. I know rules suck, but the fact that I won twice because of disqualification is pretty lame, I canā€™t imagine how lame it was for me to leave at the final three either.

In short, if people have to go, thatā€™s fine - life happens. But, for people not to show up I just donā€™t understand, perhaps a check-in to the tournament may help keep things organized for @PVXenoraptor so that he knows who showed up and who didnā€™t.

Spotlight: Who are we kidding, we all love a little spotlight. Which is why I understand the frustration if losers bracket isnā€™t streamed. People like to fight in front of an audience but streaming losers are time-consuming and the tournament was already going four hours strong. It is still controversial as to streaming losers, but didnā€™t we vote on this already? If thatā€™s the case, it should be kept that way to refrain from confusion or upsetting anyone.

Also, the personal slideshows were absent. I get @PVXenoraptor canā€™t do it all, if you need dude, just ask for help. I wouldnā€™t mind doing a slideshow for everyone competing so that you can get things going, I also wouldnā€™t mind doing a proper background design. Iā€™m no artist, but I can certainly work my hand on the Photoshop lessons that I took earlier in college.

Just an idea of what I used for my stream background.

Sorry if I was a bit brash friends, just wanted to voice my opinion/suggestions and inform everyone of what went down.

Last but not least, Congratulations to our very own Aganos monster and volume 5 winner, @SCAlbeFreak! And our runner up @INDIxion. Ggs guys, you played great!

If anyone is interested in the detailed bracket.
http://psychovipers.challonge.com/KIRNDMCHARTOUR_V5

Also, if youā€™re interested in watching the archieved stream, check out @AlejGā€™s channel.

6 Likes

I couldnā€™t participate this tournament, but I would like to give my feedback in several points. My goal: give constructive feedback to improve the next edition of this series:

1-The thread is dead

If you compare this edition thread with past ones, this is the less active one. Why? Well, several reasons, but I would like to point this one:[quote=ā€œPVXenoraptor, post:129, topic:15891, full:trueā€]
I asked on the Discord server, and everyone wanted public.
[/quote]
Itā€™s nice to have more ways to speak with the participants, but this is not right. The Discord server got all the attention, as far as I see, and this thread, unlike other editions, was pretty quiet. Which is bad news, since previous editions threads were among the most enjoyable threads among the forums. It also contradicts a previous post here:

So, you make a poll, the result is ā€œdo the assignment once we are 26ā€, but you then run a poll at the Discord server, where not everyone of us are, and accept that result instead, without warning us in this post about making a new poll? Even worse: The assignment itā€™s public, which already was ā€œtroublesomeā€ in previous editions, even more when we are not 26 players. I pointed out the issues of doing this several times in the past. Which leads to:

2-Doubtful decisions

@PVXenoraptor, this is your tournament, you are the host, and at the end, you take the decisions, but asking us for our opinion in a poll, and then ignore it is just not right. I didnā€™t signed in because of this. I could try to be there, but once I saw this, I was dissapointed. Even more after this:

After all this time, this is not right. Most people stated that they couldnā€™t participate on sunday, and then you make a poll for only one person? This canā€™t be improvised: The tournament date must be very clear from the begining.

3-Character assignment

As I pointed earlier, IMO making the assignment public was a very bad decision. V2 nailed it: Make the assignment with time, ok, so people can train theirselfs a bit, but DONā€™T MAKE IT PUBLIC.
Making it public, if someone drops it, everyone KNOWS which character is avaible, so people who could get in can CHOOSE, not get assigned random. Thatā€™s not good, and kills the tournament soul. Make the character assignment ALWAYS secret. There is no benefit making it public.

4-Use the forums to announce the tournament

Some people forgot about the tournament. Thatā€™s their fault, but you could help a bit here.
The week of the tournament, if itā€™s on saturday, start naming people on Monday, wednesday and friday, so everyone could read and remember that they have the tournament that week. Also, do the same on saturday, and each time you do this, put when it starts, and the twitch link.

Iā€™m not even talking about the tournament, since @oTigerSpirit summarized it pretty well. Iā€™m talking about the organization. This must change for future editions, or you will face more issues than you should.

So, my suggestions:
-Forget Discord, focus on the forums
-Character assignment MUST BE SECRET until the day of the tournament
-If you make a poll, go for it until the end, even if you donā€™t like the result. And if you donā€™t like the result, donā€™t repeat the poll 2 days later. Also, make them for more than 24 hours. You put some polls for only 6 hours or less, which is unfair for some people
-The tournament date is sacred: Once itā€™s set, donā€™t change it. Some people ask for free days for this. Changing it is really bad for these people.
-The week of the tournament, announce it, naming the participants, posting twitch link and schedules

1 Like

Yeah, can we honestly just drop the discord idea entirely? What are we doing there that this thread alone canā€™t achieve?

3 Likes

I personally prefer Discord over the forums as I have the app on my phone and immediately get notified whereas the Fourms donā€™t like notifying me and I often miss things happening on the Fourms, plus discord has multiple chat rooms so we are free to go off topic of we wish while with the Fourms itā€™s all together and topics get mixed together.

However that is just my input.

Wow. Were you willing to hold my match until later then? Because I would have stayed if that was the caseā€¦

Hey I just noticed, I beat slendercashew in losers 2-0 without even competing lol.

I canā€™t get Discord on my phone (not enough space), but I can still access the forums, so Iā€™m the exact opposite as @T1AORyanBay. Also, I thought the thread was dead because the tournament was over. Donā€™t these usually die off in favor of the next one?

Finally, Iā€™d also like to add that that background, @oTigerSpirit, is fantastically amazing and also almost forgot to mention that I still canā€™t access the stream from the above link or seemingly anywhere else. :frowning:

Are you on mobile or desktop?

Was on mobile earlier this evening, but now Iā€™m on Xbox. Iā€™m almost never on desktop these days (where I prefer and continue to use Skype), unless itā€™s to do homework.

Just as an interested observer with some experience running conferences and events, I will say that one cardinal rule is to never ask the membership a question you arenā€™t willing to have answered. If you put something to a vote, you have to be willing to live with the result of that vote, for good and for ill.

If you make an executive decision regarding dates and times without consulting your members, thatā€™s fine. But if you ask for their opinion, then youā€™re generally obliged to abide by their decision. Not doing so sows confusion and engenders ill feelings.

2 Likes

Once I grab the time to, I will talk about itā€¦

Right now, hereā€™s V6 thread:

2 Likes