Raam Match Ups

So emergence will not destroy kan ra scarabs. You’ll just get hit despite your hit box being nowhere near the scarab, like emergence sucks them in closer or something. As if the kan ra match up wasn’t hard enough.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, post that in the bug thread!

1 Like

Haha, bugs! Its funny, because…

I know where’s the exit…

5 Likes

Seriously FIX THE GARGOS MATCH UP!!! Even if I succeed at timing my jumps to avoid the punches and hit the minions during their cooldowns all it takes is one flap of Gargos’ wings, on hit or on block, to put you right back where you started! You can’t armor it on reaction, it has to be done as a complete anticipatory guess. And since the minions are still out you’ll probably get hit out of your dash attempt even if you successfully armor the jumping hk!! And even if you do somehow magically armor the HK and avoid the minions you still won’t close the distance before he does a second jumping HK meaning you have to successfully time this twice!!! And if the Gargos doesn’t do it and sees you charging then he just gets a free punish or escape with his triple jump thats too high for Raam to hit!! Fulgore vs Thunder was much much fairer than this match up and that one lead to Fulgore getting his heavy laser nerfed so I don’t see why something can’t be done about this one.

Some fights just suck man - and that’s particularly true of grapplers. On the plus side, on the off chance that you finally catch him, Gargos gets absolutely wrecked. :thumbsup:

1 Like

But no other zoners give this much problem. I’d rather fight a hundred zoning Fulgores than one Gargos. The thing is the reason IG said this match up was balanced was because Gargos gets wrecked when you get in, and that is true. But the difference is that when you get in on Gargos you can’t stay in for the whole match the way he can keep you out for the whole match. Gargos gets several unavoidable opportunities to escape throughout the match. But if Gargos is zoning Raam, then Raam does not get several unavoidable opportunities to get in.

If Gargos combo breaks, he’s free to escape. If Raam combo breaks he pushes Gargos away which is not beneficial to Raam at all.

If Gargos gets instinct he gets a chance to escape. If Raam gets instinct it doesn’t help him get in at all.

If Gargos is getting wrecked then between rounds he can up up and away without any way for Raam to catch him. Between rounds Raam can’t close the distance because of the same reason.

1 Like

He’s always pushing himself into the corner though. Everytime you block the wings, yes you are going backwards, but so is he. The whole point is to walk him to the corner and then stand at the right range so he can’t get out. If he breaks, oh well, back into the corner. I wouldn’t even bother with trying to armor to get in until you have the meter to cancel rush into shield, and really pick your spot well with that. The minions are problematic for sure, but he does really low damage with them out and having the ability to just absorb all their hits with kryll is something most characters wish they had as an option.

The match is more difficult for raam to learn, but I feel like the tools are there

2 Likes

Did… did… did you actually test that?

Even if you corner him he can just hop hop hop light reckoning over Raam as soon as Raam gets too close and nothing Raam has can reach that high. Raam can’t even try to catch Gargos as he lands because of how far this takes Gargos.

Yep, how else was I supposed to know when I could patiently sit on a life lead?

Please, someone tell me how this is fair?

Not only did I knock the minion down. I landed the counter breaker and even cut my combo short because I knew this might happen. The Gargos then proceeded to zone me out and win. Like, come on, it’s bad enough that this is probably the hardest match up in the game right now, but even when you do everything right and have the win within your grasp, you still have to deal with random BS like this!

6 Likes

Everyone that can simple jump back and throw something on you will be a very hard match, its even worse if after that they can cross all the screen or half with a single movement. It´s aways the same everyday, people keeps jumping backwards growing shadow bars and forcing you to walk/jump/rush and when you do, you get screwed. And if you for some miracle can make your way and corner them you will have lucky to not get combo breaked , get countered or the enemy teleport to your back.

Raam is great because he is unique in a game that every other char seems to be a clone of 4 base fighters. But seriously, hes not even against 50% of them if your oponente is a good player. And that really sucks.

Wish that dev team show some serious changes to Raam in a close future patch.

Are we being serious right now? :open_mouth:

1 Like

He is serious. Hisako is a clone of Orchid because rekkas. Maya is a clone of Jago because projectiles,dp,and a move that goes forward. Aganos is a copy of Thunder because Thunder’s shadow triplax has armor. Riptor is a copy of Wulf because mixups. Even Raam isn’t a different character. He has a command grab so must be a copy of Thunder…kappa.

1 Like

IKR. KI strikes the perfect balance of interesting and cool character-types, both in aesthetic and playstyle. Compare to say USFIV; it has a large cast, but many base “clone” characters. Looking at KOF, how many “Shotos” are in that game? I like that SFV has differed the cast compared to previous entries, but as writing, I find that game to be a bore.

1 Like

Why not? Just cause animations are different that the concept is not the same.

The possibility to slide trought full screen (some times half), control fireballs speed, the ability to fly (or keep in air for a uncommon period of time), teleports, super efective counter air, timed bombs… Its ok when you have these skills to make a fighter unique, but when you get the same types of skills distributed among all other fighers you are using a base of some type to develop them. Don´t get me wrong, i know all fighters got some particular skill (maya daggers, mira bloodsuck, tj revival, etc), but many repetitions of the base i mentioned before among them are weird. And that is why i say Raam is the most unique fighter among them.

Therer are other fighters that can grapple? Yes but none sufer so heavy the penalties of one like raam nor have grapples as the base of the fight.
The concept of the kryll and kryll armor are a lot different form the other “armored” fighters
His play style is non seen in any other fighter (or at least i never noticed that)

Wish i have clarifyied my thoughts. :slight_smile:

Great list! I’m a RAAM main, and the only feedback I have is that Kan Ra is really the only character that belongs in a flat-out “Don’t Pick RAAM” category.

Cinder and Fulgore require extreme patience and defensive play (i.e. block until you can finally punish and start owning them into a corner). Punish Fulgore’s teleport with Emergence, for example.

Glacius and Gargos are tough, but both they and RAAM have to win a mini-game in the beginning of the fight. Since it’s not normal to play RAAM aggressively, many of us go defensive and let GlayGlay/Gargos win that early mini-game. It goes something like this:

GlayGlay/Gargos: Get away from me, you freak!
RAAM: Get back here, you insect!

Whichever fighter makes their dream come true AT THE START will win the fight, provided they have the baseline skill to maintain the sick-nasty advantage they’ve taken. GlayGlay/Gargos can only reliably beat RAAM if they focus entirely on zoning with portal punches and minions, hails and shatters.

This game is known for characters being unique from one another - so much so that some are afraid to get into it because of the depth of MU knowledge required as the cast grows - so I have absolutely no idea where you get the notion that the game has many similar or too similar characters.

Using this to make the point that KI’s cast is too alike is like saying that Gouken is just like Sakura, who is just like Akuma, who is just like Dan. None of which are even remotely true.

Take away the Kryll, add a Green-Hand, and you’ve basically got USF4 Zangief with a fancy overcoat and a skin condition.

6 Likes

Isn’t the stab basically a green hand and Raam also has a focus attack?

2 Likes

In a sense, yeah. I’ll buy that for $1 :slight_smile:

Yep, no addition/subtraction required there. Works just like one - dash-cancels too.

1 Like