Raam Match Ups

Good job outlining his weakness in one sentence. Seriously, good job. Although he has one of the best reaching anti-airs in the game, so anyone with a little foresight can bait the jump and keep them in the corner WITH Kryll on! Other than that, completely disagree.

ummm… sharing one trait isn’t a what a clone is. And you have yet to tell me what 4 base fighters we’re talking about so we can see how far you took your “base” measurement.

Nope. Sadira has a double jump, Gargos has a quad jump. Omen and Mira both have air dashes.Apart from being the same concept at the start (jumping and dashing), how are they the same thing? You don’t seem to be considering the utility of the move, which may be why you think they are weird.

He might have meant in this game???

Ah - Perhaps yes.

1 Like

Personally, I say only allow him one minion on screen at any given moment but also give him defense and reversals to compensate for the defense he is going to have to use. But I’ve cracked gargos from a technical standpoint, it just depends if I can get the momentum necessary to make him either waste shadow for offense or position myself in relation to the minions so I can do a shadow ORZ and either hit both minions and gargos, or not be affected by them and go straight for garg because they don’t hurt hisako when she’s doing shadow ORZ. It’s projectile invincible so I guess they register as projectiles?

I had an extremely rough set with a Jago. I used multiple characters but in the end I lost 53 matches while only winning 13. The RAAM matches where by far the most painful because I could not find a way past the zoning reliably.
I tried using Kryll shield dash cancelling at range to build meter, but this just gave Jago all the meter he needed to shut down any other options. If I got too close, he would wind kick me and cancel into shadow endokuken, then back jump and start all over again. Or if the wind kick landed, he would get HUGE damage from a one chance break (due to all of the potential damage I was building through the shield). this wouldn’t be a huge problem if he didn’t also have fantastic defense and pressure (I swear that player was a psychic from the future with the blood of Thompson).
But I did kind of find a way around zoning. once I had built full meter from a distance, I started making my way in. Once I absorbed the next fireball, I would hold the shield expecting a wind kick. If this did happen, I would get a free combo (only if the Jago had no meter. With meter they could easily cancel into any shadow move of their choice). or if they threw another fireball, I could usually get a shadow Kryll rush in if I was fast enough/close enough.

Jago is solid, but you can use light grabs to punish his wind kicks when you block them. Try to not use the kryll shield if you are too far or use it with caution. Use emergency (low/medium) to counter endouken and walk foward, but be aware, they will try to wind kick you as soon as you reach mid range.

You got that right!

Im not sure where they rank, but I just got bodied by an aria that. That only hovered and jumped with that…afterburner kick. It went through emergence AND kryll rush, and beyond that, I could think of nothing to counter that. I’ll have to try this scenario in the dojo later on, but , I hate tactics like this and Gargos’ that don’t actually require skill to pull off.

Also got wrecked by a Tj combo who basically relied upon his command grab to get in and stay on me, and I have a feeling he wouldn’t have played this way against other characters. Could I have played it better? probably. I got my hits in, but it kind of feels like Raam’s tools fall shortl against SEEMINGLY cheap tactics

You’re probably right. Like many grapplers, Raam is ironically weak to being thrown. It’s part of your job as a Raam players though to know and understand this, and to recognize that is one of the key ways your opponents will try to get damage on you. Know that people will often favor throws against you, and punish that desire accordingly.

1 Like

I have troubles playing against shadow jago, he moves way too fast across the screen

1 Like

So what do you guys recommend as an anti raam character. I cannot defeat raam with Hisako and I’m done playing that match up.

Any suggestions would be nice :slight_smile:

Mira and Fulgore do well against him I believe.

I do think Hisako goes even with him though.

Anyone that can cover their movements with a projectile. I give Cinder and Mira the top spots though. The combination of high mobility, slow/tracking/sticky projectiles, and the difficulty of keeping them down once you do knock them down makes these fights very difficult for Raam. Plus theres other little things like Mira can keep up with him on damage and Cinder can burn out his arms pretty much removing all of Raam’s best tools. The only things working in Raam’s favor in these is that Mira kills herself meaning if Raam does catch her in a bad moment she’s dead and Cinder does low damage meaning it’ll be a long match giving Raam more time and opportunities to get in.

The raam we have here in vegas makes it feel like an unwinnable match up. I cannot keep him at midrange and he obliterates me

Your stand HP actually outranges his, and the stab special is counterable on reaction. Use those to force him to commit to jumps or kryll charges or FADC’s, and then respond according. Once Raam knocks her down it’s tough times, but in the neutral he shouldn’t be able to just impose his will on you.

1 Like

Strange usually his s.hp hits me and mine whiffs

Glacius is Raam worst MU. If you wanna counter pick, I would choose the frosty alien

1 Like

Loses to
Fulgore
Aria
Kan ra
Mira
Gargos(barely)
Eyedol

Even with
Jago
Orchid
Aganos
Glacius
Shadow jago
Cinder
Omen
Rash
Kim
Hisako

Beats
Tusk
Wulf
Spinal
Maya
Sadira
Tj
Arbiter

Unsure of
Riptor (leaning towards RAAM winning)
Thunder
Kilgore

1 Like

hahaha that had to suck

I would probably put Riptor in the “Beats” section and Thunder in the “Even” (possibly Beats) section, based on the kind of players I’ve played.

I have the exact same experience with RAAM. IMO Gargos used to hand RAAM’s ■■■ to him on a bed of roses before IG nerfed the air psycho crusher.

ARIA is a super hard one for me, though. It surprised me, too, because on paper she seems pretty even with RAAM.

RAAM > Riptor (Barely)

The spaces that Riptor has to work in, and the moves that move her further into her optimal range are dealt with by pushing s.HP, or blocking low for her sweep. That being said, RAAM does have some trouble after being knocked down. Shadow Emergence only works if they aren’t blocking or meaty grabbing. And since Riptor’s gameplan is mix-ups, being on the receiving end, is gonna be tough no matter what character. At that point, you’re playing the player. Despite this, I feel his neutral and offense against Riptor is too solid to call even.

RAAM = Thunder

RAAM < Kilgore (Barely)

The other two match-ups are a bit more complicated. I’d love to break them down more in-depth, but I’m super tired and have work in 6 hours.