Problem with Kim Wu shadow linker and shadow ender

I have to admit I find her dash rather awkward and wish the dragons gave her a unique small fireball like Laura or SOMETHING other than I’m in a combo and I’m just dashing for no reason, and I try to dash in air and it’s nothing. Or maybe if the dash was available for retreat like Shadow Jago.

Maybe I need to watch Keits’ reveal more but the firecracker ender doesn’t seem to have much damage only to get a dragon that has such a weak ability.
The 3P parry dragon gain is also nice, but again, I think the reward should be greater

Her (DK as I like to call it)QCF+K,(also known as Kim’s airbuster)
I like the 3 strength heights but like Orchids blockade runner slide, I’d prefer if it didn’t go all over the place, and just traveled different lengths (like orchids slide) as opposed to height. I find myself flying to places I didn’t intend so mostly I just use the LK unless I’m fighting Aganos because I end up floating up to the sky with no chance of recovery and the 2p has opportunity to open a combo. Therefore, for my play style, QCF+K is only used as a move outside of a combo or an ender-

I just crave a QCF+P alternate firecracker

1 Like

The different angles of dragon kick let you actually anti-air with the move - it’s one of the best and most damaging AA’s in the game at midrange. It’s a punishment tool plain and simple when done raw - you shouldn’t be using it in pure neutral period unless you’ve got a dragon to get a mix-up off of it.

While it would be cool to be able to fire off dragon cannons whenever, I can see why they don’t let you. It’s a super fast screen-clearing projectile that staggers and covers the entire screen in moments, and can be used in combo to create hard-to-breakables. Dragon cannon is really, really good - good enough that it makes sense that it can only be used situationally.

I agree that firecracker is minuscule damage, and I wish it didn’t push Kim so far away, but it’s pretty false that what it gives you is “weak”. Kim’s dragon cancel is her secret sauce - it’s what really makes her special as a character. She’s actually pretty one dimensional until she gets dragons to cancel with, but once she’s got those she gains a ton of versatility. Watch a few streams of people playing Kim to get some ideas on how to use her cancels. If you’re tossing them out kind of randomly, then you need to slow yourself down and be more deliberate. She doesn’t get to stock a ton of dragons, so you need to make them work once you have them.

So I was having the Dragon Cancel instead of Shadow problem as well, and I realized what my problem was.

I tend to buffer my moves A LOT, since the KI Combo system allows for this. So I’d tap the button for my Auto Double and then immediately input the Shadow command using the Left Trigger for Triple Kick. But because my input registers DURING the Auto Double, the Cancel takes priority. Once I slowed down my inputs, and only input the Shadow Command once the Auto-Double had finished, I saw an almost 100% success rate.

TLDR Slow your inputs and don’t buffer like this mad fool.

I’m talking about the dash it always comes out Ina combo wen I don’t want it. I feel the dash should be assigned to a command or buttons other than 3K

I have this issue as well. Some of us don’t believe in pressing only two buttons for shadow moves. I have always used the all-3 kick/punch macro for shadows and actually, for the longest time thought that was HOW you had to do shadows. It took me a long time to realize shadows were done by pressing only two, because that makes no sense on a controller to press two buttons with one thumb.

I guess the only fix for now is to only use the firecracker linker, but that leaves us missing out on the faster shadow for lockout purposes.

I am sure IG will find a solution :wink:

ok well a bunch of us are gonna need some explicit examples of how to use these things. it’s just not as intuitive how to integrate them into a mixup game. So what makes Kim special is the ability to do different combo cancels… I (and probably a bunch of other new players) still don’t get it

I actually don’t know if I would bet on this - there’s only so many buttons to use on a controller, and the intended effect of the cancel is actually really strong. I think you are better off just learning to do shadows with two buttons instead of the 3P/3K macros. :confused:

So a really simple but effective way to use the dragons within combo is within your shadows. Let’s say you start a combo like so: opener->AD->shadow

But let’s say your opponent begins to break you shadow - you hear “ONE…TWO…” Now with other characters your options are to (a) let it rock and hope they don’t really break your shadow, or (b) chance it on a counter breaker. But with Kim and a dragon, you can just hit 3K at that point and she’ll dragon cancel. Shadows have a lot of hitstun, so you get a free manual coming out of the dash into the rest of your combo. This also has the added benefit of screwing with the timing of a shadow break, and lots of players will wind up giving themselves a timing lockout as a result. Kim hits like friggin’ truck, so any lockout against her is incredibly dangerous. So the above example combo could resolve itself into something like this:

opener->AD->shadow (partial)->dragon cancel->manual->linker->ender

But if your shadow occurred earlier in the combo, you’d have even more time to capitalize on a hypothetical lockout situation. And this doesn’t just work for shadows - you can cancel at any point in the combo, which means you can toss out a heavy (recognizable) AD, dragon cancel it before they try and break, and then keep your combo going afterwards. This example could look like this: opener->linker->heavy AD (partial)->dragon cancel->manual->linker->AD->ender.

These are some of the kinds of things you can do within combo with dragon cancels. It takes a bit of practice and getting used to, but it’s really strong. And once you’re in instinct, you can do similar things with shooting dragon cannons mid-combo. It’ll stagger the opponent, and then you get another free manual with awkward timing out of it.

Hope that helps in clearing it up a bit for you :thumbsup:

I watched Sanjam Kim Wu video- no help when he just defines it and he literally just says ‘cancels’ and shows the dash like 3 times and says ‘do this’ or do that, go where you want’ it’s frustrating.

I think I’m just going to go back to Sadira and Maya and Hisako if I want powerful combo setups and wins especially if im in ranked.

1 Like

Yup, same here, sadly, tragically, Kim is becoming my number 3 character, if that. Cancelling out of shadows is nice but not really something that even has to be done in newbie land. I do appreciate throwing out tons of dragons in combos during instinct, though. Orchid is my shadow and I’m getting into tj. They are a ton more intuitive and easier to maximize than ‘Kim Cancelforwut’ I’ll surely keep an eye out for more dragon cancel strats though.

1 Like

I’m agreeing. Kim just needs a projectile with a dragon to choose whether she WANTS a cancel for those that play like that, or us casuals that just want maybe a reward for performing the firecracker ender. What’s the point?

I’m not asking devs to change her because I know that’s not going bg to happen. It just resolves that I thought she might replace my current mains yet she’s an awesome addition! Otherwise I like her design and fluid mobility, but that one… thing… everyone else is kinda straightforward im usually great with learning curves -

Not everyone is technical and it’s actually as jarring as those who complain about level 4 Enders. Talk about being disoriented when you are doing well advancing to a king combo and you drop it because you just mistakenly cancelled only to have a cheap sabrewulf blast an ultra from a 10% health bar

Maybe I’ll feel differently as I move her past level 30. She’s absolutely fun if I don’t touch the cancel. She’ll just look pretty with dragons always circling her. Lol

So, I forgot some other players started a tech thread, where all the videos so far show examples of dragon cancels. Canceling dragon seems to open up a whole different set of combos Is There Anything I Can't Do? - Kim Wu Tech Thread

Ok I set practice mode to have Kim vs Kim on hard and she really doses out the tech.

She does use cancels much, still can’t grasp yet but I will try to understand

1 Like

whyyy did i not think of that, cpu vs cpu is was awesome in mkx as well. gonna fire that up next time i play

1 Like

And its as great as playing a hard shadow until kim is included finally for shadow mode.

I usually get antsy watching cpu vs cpu lol

So is that just FP + LP dragon dance+FP + LP dragon dance+FP + LP dragon dance+dragon kick?

Is that unbreakable?

Re posted in Kim Wu tech thread (which I thought this was sorry). It’s the anti air down HP then light dragon dance. It’s easily breakable, but juggles are harder to break in season 3 and is good counter breaker bait. Plus as the first one show you can end with sweep early if you with for the hard knock down.

Oh ok

the problem I have indicated, is presented more if I want to run an ultra internship with a dragon. In this case 3 buttons are needed and there is no other choice.

I have the same problem, I think is because I use the regular xbox pad and I am not very precise doing the quarter circle