Potential bonus character: Mimics

How about when you pick random it shows the character mimic transforming to whatever character it normally would pick, no aura or mimic colors.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good idea. But would you still be fighting a mimic?

You mean like a regular character emerging out of green mist on the character select screen?

ā€¦donā€™t they do that already?

1 Like

No, it starts the match with the mimic forming into one of the characters and he stands there staring at the opponent. Technically it wouldnā€™t be a new character but it would be a new intro for picking random.

1 Like

So, everythingā€™s the same as it is now, except as the intro happens, youā€™d see them change from the mimic colors to their regular colors the player chose? Itā€™s simple, but it makes sense to the story, and would only be specific to random select - I can get behind that. Itā€™s a fun, cosmetic change that simply adds to the lore and feel of the game. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah, ok, I got ya. Yeah, that might be cool.
From a technical standpoint, it might be simplier though to go ahead and use each characterā€™s current intro, only you see them come out as a mimic and the color and effects slowly dissolve into a normal player (whatever color was chosen).

ā€¦Iā€™m assuming it would be easier to cause a mid-intro color change on a character than it would to reanimate all their intros.

Ok I get it now. Yeah that sounds good. Kinda like watching someone who is possessed become normal again.

I just dont think it would be perfect, a new shadow character or a Guardian character would be better

Having ā€œrandom select dudeā€, which really has no gender, is a time honoured fighting game tradition.

A character meant almost as a joke, but then refined due to the eureka of the process, a Shang Tsung-like morphing Mimic can work.

It would have to be based on the ideal of chaos, not order. May not have all character movesets. In fact, for lore purpose, the mimic can be a specific grouping as means of insult.
Could be a beastly mimic that only uses beast character movesets. Could be a human only mimic (no vamps). Perhaps Earth-Plane only.
As much as full character random select is wanted, having something is better than nothing.

Overall it should not be allowed to spam transformations, use the actual instincts, or full moveset of their subject. Perhaps during Instinct, they can morph into their Instinct subjects and have access to most of their propertiesā€¦ Perhaps.

Character moveset/mimicing is randomly chosen, not player. You could transform into a near perfect ā€œcounter-pickā€ or the worst match-up, you never know!

A new resource or full shadow bars can be used for 10-15sec transformationsā€¦ Perhaps let that be a timer that after 10sec, a hardknock down is what causes a moveset reversal or change. Perhaps certain ender levels can kick the Mimic back into its neutral/starting form, if it has one.

Create a mimic universal ender to use up shadow and transform.

Allow transformations to become invulnerable mists, definitely in Instinct, maybe as an overall trait.

Allow near infinite & spammable moveset transformations during instinct (maybe, as we may not use a mimic instinct). Only let it occur in neutral or with the ender.

And thatā€™s just the mimicing properties, not the characterā€™s default self, which really may not exist. Every match could have you randomly start as one of the cast being mimicā€™d, or the mimic can have an Omen-like neutral appearance and moveset (but like, not exact).

Iā€™m more towards completely random select and no neutral character. As though the mimic could never know itself, only

Thereā€™s definitely a lot of refining to do but itā€™s not a non-possibility.

If load times were not an issue I would say a random select character would be pretty awesome. However that has pretty much been an issue ever since the 2d MK daysā€¦the second loading a character became slower than instant that stopped being a thing aside from half-measures, and it really isnā€™t going to stop being an issue until the game industry stops pushing for better & more complicated graphics.

1 Like

Imagine they fixed that loading issue?
Canā€™t argue with logic, just that ā€œOrchidā€™s air-tech wasnā€™t capable until S3ā€™s mechanics built it for a different character.ā€ is a possibility, albeit, extreme :slight_smile:
At the same time, that is where maybe just a select few can be mashed into 1?

MY IDEAS!!! :sweat_smile: jk

iā€™ve said it dozens of times just improve the mimics look by turning them into shadow mimics. The Mokujin thing was just an example but mimics can retain their diversity by each shadow mimic is an individual entity. Each Shimmy (Shadow mimic lol) can mimic just an especific character. Interesting how i like the mimic Omen but i dislike the look of the regular mimics. In my opinion they shouldnā€™t have the exact same look of the character that its being imitaded. Just its silhouette, its moveset and Omenā€™s vfx skin.

Mokujin type of character doesnā€™t work for KI. Why? Simply because of its random moveset. Sorry if i wasnt very clear on my last thread.:wink:

Iā€™m honestly kinda surprised the original idea @Dayv0 proposed was met with so much resistance. I personally love characters like Mokujin, Edge Master, Dural, etc.

Now I thought that this role could be great for the training sage from KI Gold, but if they donā€™t actually make that guy a full character (or acknowledge his existence at all, as Iā€™m not convinced that he was the guy in Kim Wuā€™s story, though I could be wrong), then having something like an Ultra Mimic would be awesome.

Maybe he takes the middle slot in season 3, and random select becomes a new button in the menu. He could be a sort of green mist creature in a set of armor, and prior to each match, his intro is that he morphs, but you donā€™t see who he morphs in to until right before the start of the match.

Iā€™d say he could be unlocked on the select screen once you get every mimic skin, but that might be asking a bit much. Perhaps Ultra Mimic can only morph in to the mimic skins you have so far. Like right now, I only have Kan Ra, TJ and Aria, so if I picked this character, Iā€™d randomly get one of those three. If you donā€™t have any mimic skins, then the characterā€™s not selectable. Maybe Ultra mimic could be a reward for unlocking your first mimic skin?

I think itā€™d be pretty cool if when you lose your first life bar, the screen goes black and you hear a painful hiss and then Ultra Mimic says something like ā€œNow try thissss!ā€ And then the stage comes back and the mimic character that gets up is different for the final life bar (if you have two or more mimic skins).

The story could simply be that Gargos needed a general to control his mimic army, so he created a master mimic to lead them against the warriors of Earth. Really doesnā€™t need to be that complicated.

Just an example, but maybe a video of Gargos on his stage and the voice over guy saying something like ā€œthe more mimics Gargos creates, the more he realizes he needs a leader to guide them; a master to set them on the path while he concentrates his full energy on seizing Earth. He would have to create something special, something truly evil to aid him.ā€ And then have Gargos laugh. Thatā€™s it.

Either way, compared to anything else, whether it be a shadow version of a character or a reimagining like Pretransformation Cinder (which Iā€™d still love to see) or really anything else, this would be the least expensive and time consuming way of adding a bonus character to the roster and before people poopoo that idea because theyā€™d rather have a character with unique moves and all of that, Iā€™d say two things:

-We donā€™t know what our options are. So if IG said to us ā€œyou can have a random/catch-all character like Ultra Mimic or you can have Pretransformation Cinder or Joanna Dark, or Eagleā€ or whateverā€¦ Iā€™m choosing the latter options too. But if IG said ā€œwe canā€™t do a bonus character this time around, but we could do this sort of ā€˜master of mimicsā€™ thing and give you guys a catch-all character like Dural from Virtua Fighter, but thatā€™s all we can doā€ then to that, Iā€™d say absolutely, bring it on!

Some of you might say ā€œeh, donā€™t bother,ā€ but Iā€™d still sayā€¦

-Honestly, some people really enjoy the idea of not knowing which character they have until right up until the match starts. No intro or anything. I mean, if they could have Ultra Mimic as a character that showed up in match and you had to figure out who they were by how theyā€™re standing or what pressing a button does like you do with Mokujin, then thatā€™d be cool too, but I figured the way I proposed it above would be less work.

Just an intro, an outro, a pic on the select screen and if they really wanted to get ambitious, maybe a brief video in SL when you unlock him.

Anyways, Iā€™d be down for this. A character like this almost seems like a rite of passage for the genre, so Iā€™d be down with KI having one, no doubt. :slight_smile:

The mimics would represent the charactersā€™ negative selves.

But they couldā€™ve at least added a mimicry character to transform into any of the fighters. Since Shang Tsung.