PlayStation 4 Pro - coming in November

That’s the thing. There’s no valid reason to hate it from what I can tell. I’m just trying to understand your position, not arguing.

You’re paying $650 for a mediocre upgrade. The specs speak for themselves and the removal of one of the biggest hardware features is idiotic when the idea behind it is to sell you wireless $150 headphones.

If you knew about how Apple manufactures its products, you’d know that the hardware is developed to work seamlessly with the software. This is why you see Mac computers with lower specs than PCs still performing nicely and with few exceptions, better than the equivelent PC.

The removal of the 3.5 mm jack is a moot point since Apple provides the adapter necessary to use 3.5 mm headphones. Or you could use the included headphones with lightning connector. I still don’t see a problem here.

I still don’t see why I’m continuing this debate. Enjoy you phone man, I really don’t care if you don’t see it as a sham. You do what you do brah.

Working in the cell phone world as a cellular tech, Android devices are by far the worse phones anyone can get. Part of the reason though is quality control and more of the fault of the manufactures than the OS, but my goodness, I swear some of the goons make these things pre-defective.

I’m not a fanboy, Apple products (save the Iphone 4) generally work well. They certainly have their share of problems, but not to the scope of Android. If you go Android… always go Samsung though, they are by far the best manufacturer on of the genre. Yeah the Galaxy Note 7 has been a nightmare, but the greater majority of their devices are somewhat decent.

2 Likes

I just find it amusing that you cannot elaborate on why you say it’s garbage or a sham but it’s all good. Enjoy your Android phone, brah.

People,

Create a iPhone 7 thread please.

1 Like

Why not yourself make thread?

Hey @BoJima404, don’t you have a PC?

One of the biggest hardware features is the headphone jack? Bluetooth headphones have been around for a while. It’s not like no one uses them. B

1 Like

Yes, I just made a PC. After 3 years I couldn’t resist. I will go with the PlayStation 4 Pro for those Sony exclusives and VR, and some missing fighting games.

Ah, Ok! I didn’t understand why you wanted one if you had a PC. Thanks for clearing my confusion lol

So is the PlayStation VR only going to work with the Pro? I still don’t have a PlayStation this gen, and I’m only passingly interested in VR, but if I pick one up its hard to imagine not going with the pro.

Actually, it appears that the original PS4 works but isn’t powerful enough to play “better looking” VR games. All rumors, but that appears to be one reason for both developing and putting the Pro out on the market so soon as potential customers would go for VR on PC (apparently Sony isn’t really considering the Scorpio as their main competition for the Pro).

Pretty confused with both these upgrades

The console makers seem to be playing purposely coy. They want to put out a better system so people don’t ditch their platform for the other… but don’t want to say people will need the new system to player newer games so people don’t ditch their platform for the other.

I’ll stick with the regular Xbox One and PS4 until I see a pretty compelling reason to upgrade. They seem fine. The PS4 can be a bit loud, and the Xone controller needs a drastic improvement, but I don’t see either of these gripes of mine being solved with the new ones just yet.

My prediction for both upgraded consoles is neither are gonna sell quickly. I’ve heard some talk of how Sony releasing the Pro will strengthen their lead, but I don’t see that being the case. The Pro is still a PS4 and will play PS4 games, so in other words no one needs both. Essentially More Pro sales = Fewer PS4(original) sales, so the sales will remain unchanged for the most part.

With the Scorpio on the other hand it’s a slightly different story. The reason for the Xbox One being outsold can be attributed to a number of reasons, but one of those reasons is that it’s underpowered compared to the PS4. People who were on the fence about getting an Xbox One due to this will likely flock to the Scorpio since it will be the most powerful console to date. That being said this will not launch X1 sales ahead of PS4 sales.

The problem is that the Pro lacks a compelling reason for current PS4 owners to upgrade or a reason for would be PS4 owners to drop an extra 100$ when a lot of people would rather pocket that money and buy some new games. This remains to be seen with the Scorpio, but I have my doubts there as well.

Now this isn’t to say these consoles won’t be successful, but it’s going to take a long time for people to transition from the current consoles to the newer consoles and I think both companies are planning on that. While it doesn’t necessarily mean an increase in install base what this does for both companies is keep a steady flow of sales beyond the 5 year point. Though it may not be soon people will eventually get tired of the current consoles and Sony and Microsoft will have the Pro and Scorpio waiting in the wings.

The most interesting question is how long MS and Sony will support the current consoles after these release? For as much as Sony and MS say they’ll continue supporting them there’s definitely going to come a point where these consoles are holding the Pro and Scorpio back. Well that’s my armchair analysis anyway.

1 Like

@BigBadAndy @ProdigyBurns The confusion has begun. Just saw the label for PS4Pro enhanced games…

So, it seems like some games will run only on the Pro.

Do you have a link? It could just mean that they are enhanced on the Pro and… unenhanced on vanilla PS4. But you’re right. Consumer confusion will abound (although Nintendo seems to get away with it on 3DS).

I think PS4 games will still run but it’s just not optimized when running Pro games on the current ps4. Here is one link…

That doesn’t really imply exclusivity just that it takes advantage of the Pro’s power, but still sure to illicit confusion.