Overwatch

Surprised I couldn’t find a topic about this game yet.
I’m not into competitive FPS games, but I really love the style of this game. It’s incredibly beautiful and the character designs are really cool! And the style of it all is like watching a Disney/Pixar animated movie.

Speaking of which, Blizzard, who is making the game, are also making animated shorts for it and the first one is out now!

My favourite characters so far are Genji, Reaper and Widowmaker.
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/overwatch.gamepedia.com/thumb/d/d8/Genji-portrait.png/347px-Genji-portrait.png?version=99a6b8b5c1dfc430194806d120563594
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/overwatch.gamepedia.com/thumb/7/74/Reaper-portrait.png/350px-Reaper-portrait.png?version=9617a858b37def794fbf39b907959e5f
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/overwatch.gamepedia.com/thumb/4/4c/Widowmaker-portrait.png/305px-Widowmaker-portrait.png?version=1b0715282b746f7470bb7a60c95a8399

I might pick it up when it’s out, but like I said, I’m not that much into FPS games. Mostly because I get motion sickness from the first-person camera view and also because my reaction time is so bad.

What do you think of Overwatch? Got any favourite characters? Tried the Beta?

Yeah I love the way this game looks, there is so much diversity in its cast. I just recently pre-ordered this game. My favorite characters from what have seen are Winston, D.VA, and Junkrat

I’ve heard of it, but I haven’t paid much attention to it though,
I loved that short, and I think you just sold me on it. I really liked Winston and going to have to check this out.

Well that first part just sucks., but reaction times can improve depending on how often you play the game.
I really like the look of Overwatch, happy its coming to the X1 too. Looking forward to it.

Futuristic TF2!? Lol it is a solid game but I never could get into it. It’s fun and a lot of variety with the amount of classes available.

I might try it later when it comes out on Xbox to see if a lot has changed.

Is that what this game is? Similar to Team Fortress 2?

Hmmm… I might have to check it out.

The foundation of the gameplay like game modes (control points), classes like engineer building sentries, very similar in that sense.

You might actually really like it a lot, I might get back into too.

So I’m playing the Overwatch Beta right now, since I got an Early Access code from a Friend.

IT IS SOOOO MUCH FUN.

I’m having a BLAST with Tracer, Hanzo, and Lucio.

Especially Lucio. lol

.#FunkyFreshBeatBuffs

First Game I played actually with Bots on the Hardest Difficulty, I got a 40-0 Streak. I was on fire! My team couldn’t handle my Lucio skill, so they left. LOL

This is the highlight of the first match I played. My Lucio got better.

I’ve taken a liking to D.VA as well. It’s cool when everyone shoots you, and you just block everything they have.

@anon39655210, I played with Widowmaker too. I think you’d like her a lot. She is very sneaky, and hard to spot sometimes.

Here is another Highlight from someone that I played with Yesterday that destroyed the competition.

But the Beta is out soon! Go play it for yourselves!

2 Likes

The open beta is up today at 4. Going to download it and see for myself. The art direction is impressive, all I need is the gameplay to be solid. I’ve slowly lost my touch with shooting games, hope this game brings me back on board.

I haven’t been this addicted to a game in awhile. I started to play the beta at 11:00pm stopped at 5:00am. Time well spent

Seriously. I’ve been playing it non-stop. Tottaly pre-ordering it.

I’ve oft been quoted to say that I really love TF2. In fact, the idea that I have over 100 hours poured into it is a testament to how well it’s formula works. So Overwatch was a game that had been on my radar for some time and I was quite looking forward to it, preparing for it to scratch that itch that TF2’s hat simulator couldn’t scratch.

So I installed the open beta, played the tutorial, played a real match and met the game with a resounding meh. It looks pretty, but looks aren’t everything in today’s market where saying a game looks good is the same as saying it showed up to school that day. The game play itself is fun and I’ve found myself a few times letting out a giggle in glee.

But for all the things it does right from TF2, variety of characters, fast paced and chaotic game play, really awesome movies; it does a few things rather wrong. The character variety is almost too broad. There feels like a bloat somewhere in the cast list. This makes things decidedly difficult when you’re unsure what a character does and you can find yourself dying suddenly without a clear reason why other than you’d just been ventilated by a hail of gunfire.

Also, I can’t count the number of times I unloaded an entire magazine into the back of one of my teammates because it was difficult to tell who was who. Maybe it’s because I need glasses or more time with the game, but I has having some trouble making these distinctions.

It’s not a bad game by any means and these are just first impressions with a game that I’ll probably keep playing during the beta event. But it just feels underwhelming, as most Blizzard titles do. They should have really been a marketing company or an animation studio because I’m certain they could put up a counter on their website with a picture of toast and lens flair and get people excited for it.

Well, I am buying this game. It’s practically a futuristic TF2 with a lot more depth. Blizzard did a fantastic job here!

Really liking the classes in this game; the builder is basically the classic Engi, Tracer the Scoot and so on. But, it doesn’t just stop there, their are a ton of classes all full of stories and unique weaponry.

I do hope they eventually add a co-op mode like MvM. Also expand on the cosmetics in this game, need a solid replacement for the hat simulators :grin:

Favorite classes thus far…

Torbjorn

Mei

Zenyatta

ill be on the open beta for this game during the weekend on my PC! i wanna try reinhardt, widow, reaper, and genji

I played the Beta a ton yesterday. The experience ranged from solid fun to mind boggling frustration.
Awesome character designs/variety, decent gunplay, lots of cool abilities…
You’ll only do as well as your team, though, and online matchmaking is pretty notorious in most games for making things difficult on Lone Wolves like me. Being a decent shot and trying to make the most of your role doesn’t do much when you’re the only on on your team who knows how to play the objective. :frowning: If the enemy team is coordinated and you’re not, it’s pretty dismal.

Defense is markedly easier than offense, since your aren’t working against the clock. If you can hold the enemy back with good positioning and cooperation things will go pretty smoothly most of the time. Offense is where you really need to use your noodle.

As far as characters go, McCredie, Reaper, Bastion, Hanzo, Tolbjörn, and Roadhog have all done good things for me. I really want to like Pharah since she seems like the Quake character, and Widowmaker is the sniper character I’ve wanted for a long time, but they don’t feel like controller friendly characters so much as they’d really shown with Mouse & Keyboard (which makes me happy that Xbone is getting Mouse & Keyboard support to accommodate Halo Wars 2, which will make a lot of games much better :heart_eyes: ) . Maybe I’ll just sit down and git gud by force. Maybe if Pharah’s rockets had better splash damage. Oh well.

Overall, it’s been fun. I’d probably give the full game a go. I will say though, I don’t think it warrants a full price release, especially since it looks like there’ll be a ton of microtransactions. Even if its good, I fear it’ll run into the same issue that Titanfall and Evolve ran into. Maybe if the unlocks for character skins were based on how much you played the character and not RNG/currency I’d be less bitter. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think it will run into those same problems. Blizzard did say all future maps and heros would be free after all.

Free maps and characters is always a good sign. :slight_smile:
I really like the game, and I know its pedigree is fantastic. It’s nice to see Blizzard branching out from the 3 IPs they’ve had for the last 20 years (not counting Heroes of the Storm because it’s dead)
Still, after all the new multiplayer shooter IPs that have come and gone in the last few years it’s best to be cautious. I’m optimistic, but it’s difficult to tell how it’ll fair a few months down the line.
It has potential, though. Overwatch hasn’t been on my hype list for very long but it is a good game that seems balanced enough. Just need to get people together to play it with.

this game is for sure going to favor the premade groups, but its the same for all online shooters of this nature. i have a clan that plays planetside 2, warhammer 40k eternal crusade, but i am not sure the boys are even goin near this game atm. ill be lone wolfing it as well, BUT we all do have an option to all join together (is this game even cross platform???) and try to do somethin. even a group of 4 guys can make a difference

Perhaps if I played with others I’d be better off. PC and PS4 here.

always, as long as you have voice comms and willing friends to cooperate/listen/strategize you can turn any bullshit around. been doin it for many years whether it was online FPS shooter, or an MMORPG. my best days were back when Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning was around on phoenix throne server