Nioh (PS4)

Streaming Nioh now! Otani Yoshitsugu boss fight!
**** I beat him, but damn is the area after Otani hard as hell! 1 man agasint an entire army or guns, cannons and dude with weapons just walkign around! Then antoher HUman boss at the end! I stopped there after that big guy one shots me with a lightening strike. ughh

1 Like

I finally made it past SHIMA SAKON! Man this dude was tough! He can 1 shot you , 3 different ways any time he feels like it. Honestley I feel I got lucky. Then after defeating him I went on to complete the final Sword Dojo challenge agaisnt the master swordsmanā€¦ super tough!
Check it out!

Welp, finally picked this up in the Steam summer sale. Really liking it so far :slightly_smiling_face:

Having to flex the week to make up for the travel to CEO, but will definitely dig deep into this title once Iā€™ve got some time!

1 Like

Itā€™s on steam? I hope it is still on sale. Sold my PS4 but kept nioh. At least now I can pick it up and play it on PC.

So, I finally just bought this on sale on PS4 andā€¦ not digging it. I guess souls games are just not for me.

Man, I miss Ninja Gaiden :cry:

1 Like

Ninja gaiden was the best. Ninja gaiden Black was my favorite of all time.

1 Like

Yep, itā€™s on Steam. :slight_smile:

And yeah, Ninja Gaiden was the best. Hayabusa was such a monster!

Let me know if you need any help or tips. Glad you like it! rememberā€¦KI managment is the KEY!!! lol

Oh and dont forget when leveling up your points dont put points into something you dont use. Like some things are boost spears or swords, and some boost axe and firearms. No need to boost if you dont use the axe, ectā€¦

Yeah, I read about that going in, but honestly Iā€™ve been spreading them around a bit more than I thought I would. You get to see how much each level increase will affect every slot, so Iā€™ve been kind of dancing around mixing and matching for different boosts to things I care about. I also havenā€™t decided between spears and odachis for my secondary (running katana for primary, so keeping Heart skill up), so thereā€™s a bit of spreading around for that as well. Thus far I definitely prefer using the big hitters on bosses and yokai though - katana requires me to be a little too up close and personal for my tastes :joy:

And yeah, have already gotten pretty solid at KI management. Running out of stamina is the pits. That, and I hate yokai realms and prioritize banishing them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah man i mainly level up Heart and KI since I run 2 kitanasā€¦usually Earth and Lightening or Water. Someitmes I use a fire spear but Im bad about getting wrecked when I switch weapons.

My Kitana skill page is maxed out so now I use points to open up new spear skills. But I just suck at the spear.

I use a lot of Onmyro (Magic) tooā€¦I like throwing the fire shots, earth shot ect to get a good stun in on them.

Its such a great game but can be overwhelming with allt he tool belts, items, skills, ectā€¦
remember to level up your favorite weapon often, if you wait too long and level up your character more often than your weaponā€¦your weapon level up will be too expensive and you will have to change weapons going forward. thats the one thing I dont like is the expense of weapon upgrade.

ā€œMy To Dee!!ā€ lolol

I hate souls clonesā€¦ but I decided to give Nioh a shot because Team Ninja made Ninja Gaiden so I was expecting them not to just borderline copy Dark Souls and all its bull ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ sighā€¦ wishful thinking.

I think I came to that realisation when I got stuck at the 2nd Boss: Hino Enma. I kept getting insta killed because I was dumping all my amirita in the wrong stat (again) which wouldnā€™t be an issue as I would simply have to play perfectly to beat herā€¦ its not hardā€¦ just Kite the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ Souls Games 101.

Unfortunately she has this one unavoidable attackā€¦ I only had 6 Elixir so if she simply has to use it 7 times for a guaranteed kill predicated on the fact that it doesnā€™t kill me out right in one hit. One of the things I disliked about Disliked about Dark Souls was your character can only dodge a specific distance and is only invulnerable for a set amount of Frames so having an attack that is both larger than my rolling distance AND stays active longer than I can be invulnerable was just irresponsible. Hino Enmaā€™s spinning attack is just like thatā€¦ its not so large but because she moves forward, tracks you and attacks for a long time as she does it then damage is pretty much an avoidableā€¦ I get the feeling that the player mechanics and enemieā€™s mechanics were designed by different people who for whatever never spoke to each other about what they doing and how its going to affect eachotherā€™s department.

So I started the game overā€¦ did an enduarance build (these always work for some reason)ā€¦ slogged all the way back to Hinmo Enmaā€¦did the exact same thing i did before and beat her into two attemptsā€¦

Not challengingā€¦ Just Tediousā€¦ Souls Games 101ā€¦

I think your negative energy is whats holding you back. You complain about everythingā€¦ Yes she is tough but if you knew her weakness and make sure you have plenty of toxin armor and paralytic needles on hand you wouldnt have such a tough time.
Nioh isnt Dark Soulsā€¦stop comparing it to Dark Souls and just enjoy it for what it is.

You thin she is tough now wait till you face her again along with another boss that is a double boss fight.

I had the exact same experience when I first played Nioh. I thought I could use a katana and just Dark Souls 3 the whole thing, but as soon as I got to Hino Enma I was quickly shown that I couldnā€™t play the game like DS and expect to get anywhere (a sharp contrast to other souls-likes). I eventually beat her after respeccing my skill points, but for the rest of the game I pretty much had to respec again and use a completely different build to win (a proper ninjutsu build can basically make the game a cakewalk).

I eventually grew to respect the game, and while I still feel I donā€™t understand how it works mechanically I at least can say I beat the main campaign. Only thing left for me is the Season Pass content, but Iā€™m waiting for a sale on that (I play Nioh on PS4, so the DLC is sold separately unlike the PC version).

Edit: Turns out there is a complete edition of Nioh on PS4, but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s available as a physical copy. I only have the standard version of the game as a physical copy (no DLC included but still better than killing my bandwidth with a 50GB download).

I had minor trouble but never had to respec. Ive been running Katana and some times a Spear. I always use a magic infused Kitanaā€¦usually Water, Earth or Lightening. Whichever is highest rated damage level at the time.
I dont use Ninjitsu much but I do use Onyro magic often.

I only put points into Swords, KI, Health and Magicā€¦ and some times Living Weapon.

I mainly attack with low attack and Ki managementā€¦ I also switch stances mid combo to med stance and every now and then High stance if Im feeling confident I can land the big blow.

Oh and I use my Bow a lot from long range.

Well prior to my final build I actually did use a Katana exclusively in heavy stance (to force myself to understand the gameā€™s sense of neutral). It worked up until the second to last act of the main campaign, where around then it became clear I had to change tactics completely to finish the game. I never used bows of rifles outside of boss battles since you canā€™t get ammo for them by going back to the shrine (unlike learned ninjutsu/onmyo, which can be restocked this way).

I also have a habit of not using elemental weapons in games where itā€™s not obvious which element the enemy is weak to (e.g. Disgaea games list any elemental weaknesses in the character sheet). That habit came from Dark Souls of course.

Doesnt matter if they are weak to the element if the overall damage level is higher than any other weapon. If my water sword is hitting 685 damageā€¦well thats what Im using. And it works fine. I do keep a different element on my back and 2-3 element shots in my magic tool belt to cover all bases of weakness and if I find out a boss needs a different element and I dieā€¦ well I swap it up before i return to the fight.

Nopeā€¦ Twas just my stats holding me back. I beat her despire my negativity so obviously that wasnā€™t it.

Actually I left two things outā€¦

1. The other thing that influenced the outcome of that fight was the dumb luck of the RNG System Spewing Out better loot than on my first playthroughtā€¦
  2. At first I thought I was imagining it but now Iā€™m fairly certain that the game is flat out ignoring some of my button presses particularly the dodge and Ki Pulse inputsā€¦ Iā€™l record the game next time and see why this is happening.

Thereā€¦ now Iā€™ve complained about everything. I could suffer in silence but thats not going to fix any of those issues.

1. theres no way find out what her weaknesses were before hand so Iā€™m forced to die to find out. As for the lootā€¦ I believe I already mentioned the RNG System screwing me out of getting said armor.
  2. Shes not toughā€¦ for something to be tough you need would to be have a fighting chance. You would need to last long enough to break a sweatā€¦ if the game needs to yank control away from me to beat me then yeah I just get ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off. You wana see tough ? Play Furiā€¦

It is Dark Soulsā€¦ Team Ninja worked very hard and put a considerable amount of effort into mimicking Dark Souls to the point that they even copied its flawsā€¦ quite frankly it would be disrespectful not to compare it to Dark Soulsā€¦ believe meā€¦ this is one argument youā€™re definitely not going to win but if you insist on going through the motions then I shall indulge you.

Ganging up on the playerā€¦ Souls Games 101ā€¦ Iā€™m sure its going to be every bit as infuriating as youā€™re making it out to beā€¦ sighā€¦

Actually if you read what I wroteā€¦ Trying to treat Nioh as if wasnā€™t Dark Souls is exactly what got me killedā€¦

Seeā€¦ I spent my stats and skill points into stuff I was genuinely interested in trying or things that I thought were usefullā€¦ and I got one shotted over 20 times because of it (thats not a fake numberā€¦ I literally died more times to her than the total amount of deaths in leading up to that fight)ā€¦ lol now Iā€™m in the second region and Iā€™m seeing even more Souls Games crap as I take damage despits doing nothing wrongā€¦ Iā€™m getting outnumbered more oftenā€¦ the spaces are narrower and Iā€™m constantly encountering enemies in spaces unfit for combatā€¦ the excessive amount of being attack from behind by ranged enemies while another close combat enemy tries to push me off a ledge. Cheap traps. They even started hiding shrines and neglected to place shortcuts to areas I would obviously want to rush throughā€¦ but really thats not even a real critismā€¦ the real critism is deciding to even use this sort of save system to begin withā€¦ just give me frequent check points and be done with it.

Seriously Iā€™m not even gonna question it if Sister Friede just shows up and stabs me in the backā€¦ I literally wouldnā€™t even be surprised.

Hmmmā€¦ what were we talking about again ? I got so caught up in my own ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  I donā€™t remember what we were talking about (scrolls up)ā€¦ ah yesā€¦ see ? Just like Dark Soulsā€¦ They shouldā€™ve have just called it Samurai Soulsā€¦ it probably would have sold better assuming Bamco doesnā€™t try to sue them.

LOL SEE ? YOUā€™RE JUST PROVING HOW SIMILAR THEY ARE !!

Its certainly possible to beat enemies just fine with the wrong statsā€¦ unfortunately thats itā€¦ its merely possibleā€¦ not practical. And trying to force whatever rubbish build you made to work for you (Iā€™m mot trying insult you or anything like that, its just a fact, new playerā€™s builds are always garbage, and punishing the player for respecing is just irresponsible) is going to make the game increasingly unstatisfying even if you are the type of person who enjoys these games.

Health & Stamina shouldnā€™t be one of the stats any RPG that contribute to the type of build youā€™re going forā€¦ the developers know full well that they placed more damaging enemies further into the game and in Souls type games specifically taking damage can be unavoidable so really the developers should be in charge of those stats instead of passing that headache to the player. The player should only be concerned with the stats relevant to their buildā€¦ it would be more funā€¦ but nooooooo Dark Souls is the greatest game of all timeā€¦ they can do nothing wrongā€¦ lets just copy them and be done with itā€¦ sighā€¦ :frowning:

Edit: What the hell am I thinkingā€¦ thats just stupidā€¦ forget the last partā€¦ what the developers should actually be doing is not having enemies health and damage scale up at all for it to become a problem in the placeā€¦ on top of that damage shouldnā€™t be unavoidableā€¦ get rid of those ā– ā– ā– ā–  status ailments and make sure the the player characterā€™s mechanics are in sync with the enemies mechanicsā€¦

Jesusā€¦ you see what these games doā€¦ for a moment there I almost fell into RPG Way of thinking trapā€¦ I can almost feel my intelligence dropping with each hour I play these games

I tried the ā€œSouls Games 101ā€ approach too, and a lot of good it did me in the endā€¦

FallofSeraphs is correct in that you canā€™t treat this game like Dark Souls, it does have fundamental mechanics that makes it very different from DS games; in a nutshell, Nioh has a nasty habit of making Dark Souls feel casual by comparison. In retrospect it makes sense since they also made Ninja Gaiden.

It took about 2-3 different builds for me to eventually beat Demonā€™s Souls and Dark Souls 1, one build for DS2 and Bloodborne, two builds for DS3, and about 10+ attempts to find a good build to beat Nioh. And most of those failed attempts were me thinking I needed to learn nothing new to beat Nioh when compared to Dark Souls. Itā€™s a different enough game despite having similarities to FromSoftā€™s games, the only true similarity IMO is that they both have builds considered to be OP (but even that is also approached differently in Nioh).

So true! DS felt so esy after returning from a long stint of Nioh! I felt the same after the Surge tooā€¦DS just felt basic especially if you use a shieldā€¦OMG lol Likeliterally I could clear entire areas without dying or taking minimal hits.

** And speaking of ā€œbuildsā€. Ive never, in any souls game or souls type game went with a specific build like the die hards do. I use what weapons I enjoy, what armor I think looks good and does what I need to get by, and I put stats into Stamina, Strength, Magic, and Healthā€¦thats itā€¦once those stats get to the soft cap, I put a little in skill or whatever else is left in order to use a specific spell or armor ectā€¦ basically what I think is called a Quility build? Thats what I do and Ive beaten all the games except Demon souls becasue I just got Demon souls and havnt played it much.

Talk about about Trifecta of Cheap Deathsā€¦ ayt so get thisā€¦

Iā€™m on the The Ocean Roars Again Mission and I got 50 Gs of souls on meā€¦I had killed most of the enemies in the Area so I started hunting down Kodamaā€¦ I managed to find 7/9 on my own but #8 was being an illusive ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ so I fired up Youtube to help me find the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ and thatā€™s when it happened:

1. I climb up on the roof to find a Yokai looting through a corpseā€¦ we get into it and I get him down to 50%ā€¦ the platform we were on was narrow so I could only dodge backwardsā€¦ unfortunately I ran out of real estate and when I dodge his last attack I fell to my death.
  2. okayā€¦ no problemā€¦ just gotta go back to my blood stain and pick up my soulsā€¦ easy right ? Yeahā€¦ the area is so generic and devoid of any recognizeable Landmarks so I got lost and accidentally stumbled into the Boss Arenaā€¦ oh why was this cheap you ask ? Because the last two bosses I fought were in areas where there was no way returningā€¦ one way inā€¦ no way outā€¦ the Jelly Monsterā€™s boss room gives no indication that you canā€™t leave once you go in so I thought it was just one of the shortcuts I was suppose to open. But Iā€™m getting side trackedā€¦ so Iā€™m on the bossā€™s arena and I need to leaveā€¦ no problemā€¦ let me just whip out my Travel Talisman and be on my own wayā€¦ I pop open the item menuā€¦ realise its like 50 items longā€¦ I managed to find the talisman and then BOOOM !!! Deadā€¦ 50 000 Souls plus A fully Stocked Living Weaponā€¦ gone.
  3. oh but waitā€¦ theres moreā€¦ rather than rage quiting like I usually do I decided to keep playingā€¦ I figured I would just clear up some of the Non-Respawning Yokai so I wouldnā€™t have to deal with that bull ā– ā– ā– ā–  next time I playā€¦ I find oneā€¦ Boomā€¦ Got One Shotted off a fully loaded health bar wearing my best armorā€¦
  4. At this point I wasnā€™t even giving a ā– ā– ā– ā–  anymore so sprinted to the first Yokai Pool I saw and got ganked by 5 enemiesā€¦ THEN I rage quitedā€¦

So I learned something while I was Kamikazeing my way through the levelā€¦ apparently when you get caught in a comboā€¦ you canā€™t do anythingā€¦ or atleast thatā€™s what I thoughtā€¦ it turns out that you can still blockā€¦ what which is stupidā€¦ whenever I get hit immediately start mashing on the dodge button and nothing happensā€¦ I just get hit again and dieā€¦

So is this what people mean by you canā€™t play it like its Dark Souls ? Because this is stupidā€¦ sighā€¦ now I gotta deal with this bull ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦

And the cherry on top of the massive cluster ā– ā– ā– ā–  that is Niohā€¦ it seems like Iā€™ve hit the threshold on my Stamina Levellingā€¦ it takes me 35 000 Souls to get one level and putting it into Stamina only gets me a 0.2% return on my investment. 0.2% FOR CRYING OUT LOUD :scream:.lol its only at 30ā€¦ even Dark Soul lets you hit 40 before it starts becoming a waste and even then the scaling never gets into the sub 1% level of uselessnessā€¦ but ultimately useless is useless so why split hairs on which useless method is more uselessā€¦

Oh joy I canā€™t wait until they break out the invisible enemiesā€¦ sighā€¦ I know theyā€™re comingā€¦ the devs are saving them for when they can unleash maximum frustration. :smiling_imp:

William is faster more nimble and has more moves than Ashen One so to achieve the same level jerkatude then need to scale the cheapness of the level design and enemies accordingly. So even though its differentā€¦ the cheapness factor is identical.

Sorryā€¦ Iā€™m in a very foul mood right nowā€¦

Hey me too !!! :smiley:

Letā€™s hope it doesnā€™t take me that longā€¦ Iā€™ve thought about cheating but if I do that now then I wonā€™t have a frame reference to compare it to see how my experience will be affectedā€¦ I suppose I could go back to my previous build that was stuck on Hino Enma and cheat with that oneā€¦ weā€™ll see if the game can ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off to go that far.

Noā€¦ The Witcher is a different enough game despite having some similarities to From Softwareā€™s gameā€¦ Nioh is Cloneā€¦ pure and simpleā€¦ its the Duke Nukem to Iā€™ds ā€œDoomā€ā€¦ that being said Niohā€™s got alil bit of DMC4 in there aswellā€¦ specifically Danteā€™s Style System and Williamā€™s Stance System.

Yesā€¦ its lets over look the:

1. The Stamina System
  2. The death penalties
  3. the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  enemy placement
  4. The Stats
  5. Save System
  6. The Convoluted Progression System

And thats just off the top of my headā€¦ give me an hour and I can make Twins out of these ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . :smiling_imp:

Shields were useless though (in DS3)