New chars removing fundamentals from the game

I mean its another scenario where you (the defense) still have something to do. By doing nothing (waiting for a CB) or breaking you are actively being part of the fight. Other FG stops this once you are comboed.
What I mean is that even when the opponent hits you, there is another barrier for them to deal real damage. And many people fail to see this, as they fail to accept that KI relies truly in the combo system, so being eventualy opened its normal, because blocking its not the last barrier. People who claim a pure footsies game still want to see this game like the other FG, not like it is, a unique fighting game with unique rules.

Maybe my wording wasn’t the best, language barriers :s

1 Like

[quote=“BetoMachado, post:37, topic:13415, full:true”]I don’t even own a PS4 but I’m rather watch a Karin vs Ryu match in SF5 than play KI S3 (outside of Eyedol).
[/quote]

I do hope you realize the EXTREME irony of complaining that KI has gotten too crazy, then turning around and saying eyedol is the only character you want to play in S3.

3 Likes

you do realize they were in S1 too right?

Also pretty much what I got out of this post was “if it’s not like how most other fighting games are doing it instead of being more it’s own thing, then it’s trash”. Plus keep in mind there are S1 characters like Jago, fulgore and Orchid who can ignore footsies easily thanks to their forward moving attacks like windkick and teleports. Let’s not forget spin 2 win, forward dash into 0-frame eclipse, and Glacius’ full screen counter breaker and shatter

1 Like

Remember when sf introduced combos?
Or supers?
Ex moves?
Parry? Focus? V trigger?

Enough already with s1 nostalgia. S1 its obsolete, the game evolved. S3 will be obsolete one day, currently the game its EVOLVING.

Do you really want to see a game which doesn’t evolve at all? Ki its a game which evolves each year. Its alive. Instead there is people that only wants to go back to the past?

Well, I suppose its a matter of preferences. I’m happy abour the game path. I can understand others not being happy. But not everybody can be. There is people still playing sf2 and only sf2 because they dont like new mechanics.

Preferences. I respect who isn’t happy with the game. Does this ones respect who is happy with it like me? Sometimes I dont see that

If he wants to play a game that doesn’t evolve, then he should try:

Rock, Paper, Sicssors
or
Flip a Coin

Well, when sf added combos and all that stuff they didnt forget about what made sf2 good. all the things that made sf2 good are still in the new sf games. If people think its to hard to pull of a combo in sf5 you can still win on pure footsie/neutral game unless ure high up in the ranks. Combos and v-triggers only gives a slight advantage but u still need ure footsie/neutral fundamentals on point to even start a combo. I just feel ki is evolving beyond what originaly made the game fun to watch and play into something closer to chaos and frustration.

Dont get me wrong here i still love Ki, i love the combo system, the flipouts, the mindgames during combos and all that stuff. But what i dont enjoy is the fact that noobs can actualy stand a chans against ok players in this game (had a qualifier friend beating charlieboy) by just spaming crazy mixups and fast moves that are totaly inhumane to react to. That i can tell you wount ever happen in sf5. I still think ki is the better more fun game to play, but im getting abit worried that its straying down a path thats hard to turn around from.

I stopped playing Flip a Coin when I realized Heads was OP.

4 Likes

Noobs do NOT stand a chance against better players in most cases. With that said, the game does a good job of giving them a fighting chance (via combo assist mode) and you call that a bad thing? don’t know about you, but if I don’t at LEAST feel like I have a chance at learning something, what’s the point of sticking to it? KI gives newer players that opportunity, unlike most FGs. It’ll kindly hold your hand unlike the others. Sure there’s more to learn, because of the constant 2-way interaction, but again, that’s a GOOD thing. It makes the game more fun throughout the fight instead of just “oh boy, he hit me and is now going to start another 35% damage combo that I can’t do anything about” - in KI, I can stop that in its tracks the moment he gets past the opener (or 3 non-breakable hits).

Also, spamming mixups is a key ingredient to winning in ANY FG, including SF5, so the fact that you say that we won’t see it in there is somehing that I’m sorry to say, I have to laugh at, because it’s already there!

:laughing:

Finally, while there are things that are unreactable in KI (light ADs, and manuals, for example), there are still ways to counter them, based upon patterns and prior moves (in the case of manuals) - it’s all about paying attention. If you’re not willing to do that, then you’ve already lost - and that’s also true for most FGs.

Adapt or die. A simple truth.

So, in other words, don’t worry so much! :wink:

In any case, it’s not like fundamentals are being entirely taken away from the game with the new characters added. Jago is still very fundamental-heavy, Orchid still is, Hisako, etc. Plus you got characters like Kim Wu, Tusk, and RAAM this season don’t do anything too crazy and are fairly honest.

Did someone say “Evole or Die”?

3 Likes

Despite it being from fiction, true words honestly. I won’t go into detail about it.

I’d like to add that “fundamentals” can include variances on a game-to-game basis. My GG fundamentals didn’t help much playing games without airdash or airblock, or where one can tech throws. By this train of logic, SF has never had fundamentals. It’s just wobbling and whiff punishing. yawn

No offense to the original dev team, but when S1 dropped and I didn’t own an XBox, SF4 with combo-breakers wasn’t enough to convince me to buy one. I just played SF4 instead.

Granted, I never did buy an XBox. I was too invested in SF4 to blow several hundred dollars on a system for S2, but damn was I often tempted. So, I just kept playing SF while watching KI, trying to keep up for the inevitable PC release.

Now KI is on PC, and SF4 is behind us, and SFV is
 not interesting enough to drag me away from KI.

The thing about KI is that it plays well for people from all across the FGC spectrum. There is something for everyone here.

If you just wanna play SF, do that. Don’t come to other games crying that they aren’t SF enough, with the delusion that SF-fundamentals are the ONLY fundamentals. They are simply the most basic of fundamental skills.

5 Likes

Im in agreement that Gargos is just crazy tough to beat. It doesnt take much to be a good Gargos.

1 Like

I’m going to say that I completely disagree with this. Gargos is a very awkward character to play expecially when you first start using him.

1 Like

Thats fine and I complete disagree with you that Gargos doesnt take much to be good. All it take sis a decent player of KI and you can pretty much portal punch, jumping MP, and minion your way to victory!

Man, that’s kind of a low-blow to the Gargos players. I mean, Gargos is definitely a scrub-killer, but then, what character isn’t?

It takes a fancy sort of scrub to lose consistently to seriously negative-on-block moves and gimmicks that cost resources. Granted, I stand by how brutal being the victim of a 2-goon dogpile is, but to discredit the Gargos players for their efforts? That’s weak, bro.

Gargos doesn’t have Eyedol’s j.HP (kappa)

3 Likes

So since I’ve played dozens of people lately and have beaten quite a few without using those (well, aside from portal punches, but they’re still a bit of a gamble), I guess that makes me great?

1 Like

Not every Gargos player
 what I mean is if you have good fundamentals of the game
 yuo can use Gargos and pretty much wreck everyone.

DOnt turn this into being about me. I just stated my opinion on what the OP is saying
nothing more.

I guess so
 I guess you are great
and there is nothing wrong with that
have fun playing Gargos.

1 Like

I forgot the OP specifically mentioned Gargos. Sorry 'bout that.

But really, any player with good KI fundamentals (or other fundamental skills that translate well here) should be able to pick up any character and clean house. That’s fighting games.

Considering how offense oriented KI is, I’d go so far as to say that Gargos’ bad-assery is mostly an illusion. I know most of us have had the “Gargos bad defense” conversation a billion times, it just might take a while for the masses to warm up to just how truly abusable he is on knockdown

Not saying he doesn’t have good matchups where that factor is mitigated by his keep away (poor Sadira), but I think many would agree that his strength is seriously exaggerated, and often. Like, his power level is significantly less than 9000.

1 Like