Music on season 3

you’re right his theme starts really good, kind of like spinal’s but then it goes all hard metal and honestly in my opinion it ruins it.

Mick did a great job , other than riptor ; but I’m not going there again , but I think atlas and cell are also doing a great job . I would like to hear some tracks that aren’t so guitar focused , and we still have 4 tracks to go, so they could all be something different and without heavy guitar riffs.
As good as mick and these guys are , nothing beats the old school KI 1 and 2 soundtracks … I really love old school game music, like KI 1 and 2 and donkey kong country 1-3 . Nothing will ever beat the old school 90s video game music !! Lol

AS a musician myself, so far the new tunes are just not my cup of tea. They are good tracks, dont get me wrong, But I dont want to listen to them all day like I do with Micks entire KI catalog. I do not like Cellar dwellers guitar style, I dont like how his bass lines are exact copies of the guitar riff. His solos are weak…you can tell he is not a accomplished solo guitar player.

Now Atlas Plug I like him a bit, his is very talented and I can tell he is very musically trained. But Cellar just seems like a guy that doesn’t play “technical”…he is more of a gunge, jamming on the riff guy. SO far all 4 tracks have nearly the same riff in them.

Thats just my opinion on it anyway. Great guys, great studio equipment, and they obviously are doing what they love… no doubt about that…I just dont like their style over all.

3 Likes

I don’t see how dance fits a brawling toad, arguably MAYBE Kim Wu. To each their own.

Regaurdless when we got Atlas and Cell obviously things are going to be very different styliscally, I’m gonna give em time before I decide for myself if there is no variety.

u nailed it! :facepunch:

1 Like

I maintain that Riptor’s theme is great; in a suspense movie. Not so much in a fighting game…

1 Like

You are exactly right , and I totally agree . It could fit well in a scene from a Jurassic park movie or something like that . But the track needs more primal sounds. I think a flute of some kind would elevate it alot .

you are deviating from topic here

I agree with a lot of whats being said here and I’d like to say.

So far we’ve had 4 tracks from them all relying on generic guitar riffs, like many have stated.

We have 4 more tracks to go from them. Lets see if they can flexed their creative minds or continue to fall back on guitar themes for every single song.

One thing I loved about Mike is he would mix so many genres. Techno, dubstep, electro, pop, rap, rock, metal, then weird ■■■ tribal music with drums and flutes.

I would love to see if Celldweller and Atlas can create a track without relying at all on the guitar.

Oh yeah sorry about that one.

yeah think of what they could have done with tusk

take a theme like this and give it a bit of the KI feel to it and it would add a lot of variety, and I dont mean the dubstep that starts at 1:00.

I have mixed feelings about them…I like Kim Wu’s music & Arbiter’s, but Rash’s & Tusk’s I have issue with. Rash’s music seemed ok at first when I first saw his trailer, but now that I’ve heard all of it, it’s not a good Battletoad theme. Like I said on another thread, it’s about 80% KI theme in chiptune, 10% Battletoad theme, & 10% ‘Van Halen’ esque riff. & Tusk…one of the highlights IMHO of the first 2 seasons of KI was Spinal’s theme (he used a flute made from a leg bone…that is some serious musical badassery right there) & I was hoping they would top that with a full orchestral-style adventure theme…I’m not going to say it’d have to be a complete remake of his original theme but something along those lines would have been nice. But instead we got more guitar riff with a faintly Skyrim-like chant…but mostly guitar riff. It’s not bad, but the lack of diversity has me a tad concerned…especially since I’m pretty sure at least 2 more of the unannounced characters will also feature heavy guitar tracks.

1 Like

I have really only heard Rash’s theme so far and I like it a lot, but I seriously doubt these new guys are going to be able to top what Mick Gordon did with the first two seasons. He (IMO) really captured the feel of the character’s and their stages with what he did, so it blends really well. Like I said I will withhold judgement until I hear the other theme’s, but I have my doubts.

My only problem with Rash’s theme is it doesn’t flow as well in match, from observation of Rash’s theme on Kim Wu’s stage video.

PERFECT EXPLANATION HERE. I agree 100%

i dont know it seems to me that also the dynamic themes are not working that well this time, i will have to test this myself when i get the game but for now it seems all over the place a not dynamic at all.

I’ve always been a fan of diverse music. I hope one day they have a theme with a piano as the main focus.

I’m very glad it wasn’t just me who was feeling that. The chiptune bits at the beginning were cute for the trailer, but I never expected them to make the final cut.

The music at 0:48, beginning with that drum fill, is what should begin the match, playing over the character introductions. The guitar coming in at around the 1 minute mark should signal the beginning of actual combat. The chiptune sounds good, but sounds out of place, and a little thin compared to the rich audio of those intros. And the following section is super tense, with great pauses and driving precussion, the kind of stuff that gets you really hyped up, but not the sort that works well with the actual fighting.

I’m not complaining about the song itself, mind. I actually really like it. I just think that, in-game, it’s implemented really strangely. I kind of expected better. To me, it’s as jarring as starting a match on TJ Combo’s stage and hearing the casette-tape insert sounds from the album version of “Back To Rise.”

3 Likes

It doesn’t help that it doesn’t play Rash’s theme for the majority of the match but instead plays the KI theme in the Rash style of music. Basically what should have been the hidden retro part has more presence than his regular theme. Kind of boring to constantly hear the KI theme only played in different styles.

& It’s not like they didn’t have anything to work with regarding Battletoads music. There were 3 games loaded with various tracks they could have at least pulled snippets from…a little Battlemaniacs bonus stage theme, a little wookie hole, a little turbo tunnel…any of that would have been awesome.