Movies recomendations Thread

This is very true, great movies!

Out of loyalty I have to recommend all the Halloween and Friday The 13th movies. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a must watch. TCM 2 , 3, remake and prequel to remake are good as well. Next Generation is a**.

I would also recommend Evil Dead (Or ED 2) Evil Dead (2013), Cabin In The Woods, 28 Days Later, Donnie Darko, Night Of The Living Dead, The Thing, Alien, Dawn Of The Dead, Psycho, Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon (If you like Slashers).

Itā€™s a great list. Iā€™m always sorry to say I found Serenity somewhat disappointing. I thought the Firefly series was the best show ever, and the cancellation still makes me sad ten years later. But the movie didnā€™t really capture what made the show great to me.

In my quest to say controversial things about movies, I will say that the Lord of the Rings movies are not only better than the books, they are FAR better. The Hobbit not so much.

Reading TLOTR itā€™s facing the descriptions made by a man who thought that nobody but him had imagination, so to be sure everyone understood him he described EVERY ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  LEAVE of each tree, each ingredient of each food, and so, making insanely boring read all the descriptions.

The movie doesnā€™t have this problem.

The Hobbit film its total garbage, especially the third

1 Like

I saw the series and movies back to back for the first time so they feel like a whole to me, but I can understand where youā€™r coming from. Iā€™m just glad they gave some storylines closure.

Alsoā€¦

I read the books in English (not my language) and struggled some with the description, they are veryā€¦floweryā€¦however the parts that worked were exceptional.

The movies however are a totally different beast, and to me are one of the 7 movie ā€˜wonders of the worldā€™. They just got everything so rightā€¦

The Hobbit movies were indeed far inferior but still a fun ride to be had and work fine for a younger age group. And I still had fun visiting middle earth again. Iā€™m glad to not be one of those people that let sequals/prequels like this retro-actively destroy their enjoyment of the originalsā€¦

What still surprises me now though is how well those movies turned out quality and profit wise, and seeing not a single fantasy movie since that really workedā€¦
Iā€™m discounting Harry Potter (which I love by the way) because they are more ā€˜modern real worldā€™ fantasy, and the Narnia were fun movies but far from masterpieces nor very succesful. besides that we got stuck with movies like Eragonā€¦

I dont know about you guys but I am ready to again be transported to a totally fantastical world and have a magical 2-3 hours thereā€¦

Dive in the Tarantino vault in you havenā€™t already.

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol 2
Inglorious Bastar(d)s
Django Unchained

Tolkein was a professional linguist who studied languages. So he was obsessed with language and the written word, more so than the actual plot of the story. Heā€™s writing in Elvish and making up poems for 1000 pages. But the books have about ten pages of dialogue total. Itā€™s a wonderful world he created and he certainly describes it well. But as an author, he just wrote too much. And there are useless digressions (Iā€™m looking at you Tom Bombadil) that donā€™t really serve the narrative. The LOTR books are just too long. But if you look at the Hobbit, itā€™s a very concise and wonderful book - among the best of all time. He didnā€™t waste a thousand pages on Elvish poetry. Itā€™s a short book telling a clever and impactful story. This was the first thing I ever read that made me cry.

And I say all this with love. I read everything the guy ever wrote, including the unpublished works that were turned into The Silmarillion - which makes LOTR look fast paced and breezy. At 12 I devoured these all and I loved them all. But I re-read them as an adult before seeing the movies, and analytically, the movies were better.

I actually read Eragon. It was a mediocre book. The movie was essentially terrible and didnā€™t even follow the plot of the book.

Iā€™ve read the entire series and it wasnt that bad considering the author was only 16 when he wrote the first book, but it essentially was a mash up of lord of the rings/star wars/pop culture cliches. And his writing was still in need of maturing, the world he created over the four books was impressive though. Havent followed the writer since though, so dont know if he improvedā€¦

Anyone here also reads a lot by the way? I read a lot of fantasy books for one, want to know if a thread for such might be warrantedā€¦

WAIT HOLD UP
Thereā€™s one major animated movie that I need to recommend to you guys:

Quite possibly one of my favorite films of all time.

2 Likes

Blazing Saddles

Black Sheep

Dead Men Donā€™t Wear Plaid

The Pink Panther(original)

Wild Wild West

The Blob(80ā€™s vers)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Knocked Up

Heavy Metal 2000

Birds

Night of the Living Dead

Freddy Got Fingered

All Dogs Go To Heaven

Looney Tunes: Back in Action

The Artist

Fido(the zombie movie)

Fifth Element

Hard Candy

Clerks 2

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Fantastic Mr.Fox

American Pop

Paprika

Twilight Zone

1 Like

I like almost anything by the Coen brothers. Blood Simple, Fargo, Millerā€™s Crossing, No Country for Old Men, and True Grit are solid dramaā€™s. O Brother Where Art Thou and Big Lebowski are comedy gold.

If youā€™re looking for some drama/slightly more artsy movies, Momento is a pretty fun movie. Interesting concept, and an interesting way to tell a story, although I didnā€™t have quite as much fun re-watching it as I did the first time I saw it. I also enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom, Being John Malkovich. I really loved There Will Be Blood, but itā€™s a pretty dry plot.

One of my favorite movies that others seem down on is Drive, with Ryan Gosling. Itā€™s not quite the action movie that people were expecting, but I love the slow deliberate pace.

As far as Sci Fi goes, I think Dark City is a solid movie that few people saw. Snow Piercer was interesting, although I felt it when on just a little too long and I started to get bored by the end.

Inside Out is one of my favorite movies ever.

#Live Action

Jungle Book 2016

Mad Max fury road

Guardians of the Galaxy

LOTR and The Hobbit

Clash of the Titans 2010

Alien

Aliens

Predator

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

John Carter (was okay In my books not the best movie)

Pacific Rim

#Animated

Emperors new groove

Tarzan

Ferngully (more of a kids movie)

A Letter to Momo

Iā€™ll think of more later

wont you take that ride - on heavy metal

its the only way to travel down that road

1 Like

Pink Panther was awesome. If you like Peter Sellers, you should check out Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

1 Like

My fave movie listā€¦

Jurassic Park
Land Before Time
The Lion King
Life is Beautiful
The Matrix
Inside Out
Mad Max: Fury Road
Alien and Aliens
Prometheus
An American Werewolf in London
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki
Secret of Nymn

1 Like

Secret of Nymn! That thing is so trippy. Very nice.

As a child of the 80ā€™s it was practically a requirement to have seen Nymn. :smiley:
Speaking of 80ā€™s!!!

How could I forget ā€œThe Dark Crystal!!!ā€

If anyone likes old school animated movies, the Rankin Bass ā€œThe Hobbitā€ from the late 70ā€™s is a treasure. Campy but catchy songs, great voice acting. Return of the King (animated) is also solid, but more in the super campy so bad itā€™s good type.