Mortal Kombat X's Animation SUCKS

That’s a very serious misrepresentation of Skullgirls. Not everybody has to like everything but, objectively, the game is not especially loud or screamy.

2 Likes

I’d give KOF13 the nod for best hand drawn game, though 3S in particular is also beautifully animated (and I’d agree, has hits that often look more impactful). Skullgirls is also fantastically animated, though that one tends to be well animated in such a cartoony and zany style that it bears no relation to an actual fight. SG is solid though; certainly not worth outright dismissal over a 25 sec YouTube clip.

Animation in fighters is important though. I’ve not played games because I thought they were ugly, and I’m not the only one. Everyone just has different limits for what is an acceptable miss, and what isn’t. NRS animations in general are hella awkward to be honest (those crouching kicks! :sob:), but not enough to keep me from watching or playing the games.

1 Like

I’d say Guilty Gear should be in contention for beautiful fighting games especially Xrd/Revelator. Haven’t watched much gameplay on KOF13 but I will give it a look when I can.

Xrd/revelator is indeed beautiful, but it isnt hand drawn so it’s in a bit of a different category. The older GG games look good and have high resolution art, but my opinion is they don’t animate nearly as well as SF3. All art is subjective though.

I don’t know, maybe some of this is just history and context. The first time I saw SFIII in my college student center I didn’t like the art style all that much but I was blown away by the way it moved. Every time I see a clip of I fire up the game (and I’ve owned half a dozen versions starting with the Dreamcasf) I’m STILL blown away by how it moves. All of these other games are also good to look at, no doubt, but none of them affect me the same way as SFIII.

1 Like

The main problem with mk series is story line and character design…its like they dint give a damn about the story and characters…

They are getting better and better at character design, but storyline? NRS is perhaps the foremost fighting game company who cares about storyline! Mayhaps with Arc System Works being an exception.

Mortal Kombat’s Story Mode was groundbreaking when it came to storytelling in fighting games. It set a whole new standard to fighting games on that front.

Whether or not you like the story in the games is subjective though.

stop-motion

You mean mo-cap. Stop-motion is for things like claymation.

you are NEVER!! going to find posture like how you see the doing in street fighter in real life

Yes you will, in actual martial arts, which is what the fighting styles in Street Fighter (idle animations and normals at the bare minimum) are based on. The idle animations in MKX look like they mo-capped somebody who’s never even pretended to be in a fight before.

2 Likes