Mortal Kombat X's Animation SUCKS

We overlook a lot of things in KI to play it. Nothing is perfect- however I feel soul calibur V is one of the most fluidly animated fighters in have seen in the last decade

1 Like

Waste of timeā€¦

1 Like

I think MKX really missed out. The fatalities look good, and the punches sound chunky, but the animation on normal attacks and strings just isnā€™t compact or dynamic enough to simulate actual fighting and keep up the brutality. The hips and joints, vital to every strike, never move as they should.
Not to mention how they leave themselves completely physically unguarded during most of their attacks - not even arms up and ready to defend as they kick. Thatā€™s fighting 101.

The stances arenā€™t a dealbreaker, but they too shatter the illusion that theyā€™re practiced fighters - if your opponent is a known talented killer, standing lax and taunting will not be conducive to your continued living.

I know the video creator and I are looking for realism in the wrong place, but I canā€™t overlook faux martial arts in a game all about master martial artists.

Everyone has their own reasons to play a game. Some play for visuals and some play for gameplay. Visual would be like saying that I wanted to play Tekken because I get to play a cool ā€œtae kwon do vs boxingā€ fight via Hwoarang vs Steve. Even if you do prefer gameplay over visuals, you will always be looking at the game regardless; and if the visuals really do bother you, itā€™s a legitimate reason to not like the game overall.

2 Likes

I watched most of the video. I agree that most of the complaints are nitpicky, but heā€™s not wrong. Some of them are more interesting and clearly design choices that were made for a reason. For example, every idle stance in MKX the characterā€™s feet donā€™t move. It would be interesting to know why they made that choice. Is it difficult to anchor the motion captured skeletons if their feet keep moving around?

I generally donā€™t enjoy the animations in MK and a lot of them donā€™t convey the power behind the strikes. But I do think thereā€™s is an element of Internet hyperbole in here. Nothing is ā€œnot as good as it could beā€ it ā€œSUX!ā€ and is ā€œCOMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE!ā€ Clearly it worked because if the guy posted ā€œa critical analysis of MKX animationā€ it probably wouldnā€™t get half the clicks.

2 Likes

Hoo boy those crouching kicks are rough to say the least

IIRC Ed Boon once mentioned that they thought of MK as being akin to old Hong Kong martial arts movies where their movements are typically stiff and the focus is on each individual exaggerated blow. With that in mind it makes sense that MKā€™s animations are fairly stiff.

Didnā€™t watch the video but I would agree that the animations look pretty chunky but that is a minute detail. MKX is a great game but just not my kind of game. Canā€™t really pinpoint the reason why NRS fighters bore me more so than KI, GG, or UMVC3. Probably because the other fighters are a bit more chaotic than NRS games.

One thing is nitpicky but triggers me with Injustice 2. When someone does their ultimate move that uses all three bars (not sure what its called) that is this HUGE animation that represents a huge move that does so much damage that it would leave anyone dead on the ground. Yet when they do this to take the rest of their opponentā€™s life bar, after the animation is over, the opponent gets up and then faints to the ground in defeat. Anyone else notice this? Shouldnā€™t they just remain laying on the ground defeated?

Thatā€™s just so little kids wonā€™t think Batman actually dies. Lol

Sorry but those crouching kicks are unacceptable on ALL levels. No old Hong Kong movie can justify how dumb those look.

Agreed they look terrible. But they always have in every MK game, including the first one for which the only appeal was the digitized sprites and their animation (+gore).

I think they are hung up on motion capturing a move that can actually be started in a crouch position. That doesnā€™t leave many options.

As a former martial artist and lifelong martial arts fan, it really irks me to see the NRS characters throwing arm punches and errr leg kicks with no torso rotation, no leverage, poorly balanced, etc. Hereā€™s 3S Makoto with v/ exaggerated moves, but still relevant to this conversation.

2 Likes

Man I love 3S. Beautiful to look at and fun to play. Itā€™s a work of art.

The animation in 3S is beautiful and has not been surpassed by any game. The number of hand drawn animation frames must be astonishing. And the quality of the animation, in my opinion, is unbelievably high.

One of the ā€œtricksā€ for hand drawn animation is that everything needs to be drawn very exaggerated and ā€œheavyā€ otherwise it leaves the viewer with the impression that things are too light. Iā€™m not sure why this is, but any good hand drawn animation if you really look at it is almost in slow motion.

1 Like

Ha! What he expected? MK has to do stuff on their own. He doesnt like it? Well thats a matter of taste. MK is not likely any other fighting game. Things they change my friend OoOoOh.

KOF13?

Just one Skullgirls videoā€¦

Skullgirls is a beautiful game no doubt. Itā€™s very difficult to compare because the styles are so different, but if you think the animation is better than SFIII then thatā€™s probably fair. I still think SF3 animation is more impactful.

Edit: @VagabondGunmen Iā€™ve never been a big KOF fan and I donā€™t really like the way those games animate. But if you prefer it thatā€™s just fine.

Thatā€™s always been an annoyance for me as well in all NRS fighting games. I donā€™t understand why they canā€™t program the character to just stay down if their life bar is depleted.

It has to do with the fatalities. They are put back up, so you can do a finisher.

@swordman09. That was the first Skull Girls gameplay/video I have ever seen. After watching 25 sec, I would rather look at MKā€™S animations all day, instead of playing that game. It was 25 sec of non stop high pitch screaming.
I do want to thank you for showing me that I havenā€™t missed anything by not playing that game.