Mick Gordon or Celldweller and Atlas Plug?

I like Mick overall more, all of his themes felt being able to be separated from the game and work. they had a nice swell and climax to the beats. Klayton+Tom has great themes as well, but they grow and grow but it never feels like it goes beyond the background, which works in-game, but not so much standalone.

from what I know, Riptor’s theme was both and not Mick’s fault. he designed something for a different stage they had in concept for riptor, they changed the stage, then heard the track he made and didnt like and felt it didnt fit, so he got Beanland and made a theme in 2 days.

Barring Riptor, I actually think Cinder’s theme is the worst.

I’m leaning towards Mick Gordon. I like all his themes for KI.
Celldweller and Atlas Plug had a good season 3 and i like some themes.
Gargos’s theme for me should of been more dark, more big bossier or something. I think for the bosses (gargos, eyedol) the theme should be more ‘DOOM’ like. heavy metal-ish.
And all of Celldweller and Atlas Plug there themes are ‘to complicated’. I mean to me some of the season 3 themes sound like they play 3 - 4 songs trough each other.
Its difficult to know what are you listening to.
I think they need to ‘tone it down’ a bit and make the themes more simple.
You need to keep the ‘basic’ of the theme the whole way (fight) trough.
Like when you listen to sabrewulf or spinal’s theme you know what theme it is whenever you listen to that theme, in beginning, middle or the end.
You don’t have that with a lot of the season 3 themes. It switches 3 - 4 times of theme inside a theme. to complicated. Keep it simple. Remember, Less is more.

1 Like

@FallofSeraphs76 I second your opinion, except that I chose a different answer in the poll, lol.

Totally agree on the theme not being dark enough.
But I guess, the goofiness of the minions has made Gargos less scary and has something to do with how his theme ended up.

Going off what I enjoy hearing in the game, both with a slight edge to Mick Gordon.

It should go without saying that Mick Gordon has contributed a lot of great music to KI. I thought his stuff was absolutely stellar in S2 (barring Riptor), in particular. I don’t care for half of S1’s themes, though none of them are bad. Cinder, TJ, and Maya, Orchid, and Omen are my favorites. Glacius, Sadira, and Riptor are my least.

Celldweller and AP did a very solid job, but I felt their offerings got weaker overall in the latter half of S3. Gargos and Eyedol’s themes are good, but they don’t pop out as much as I’d like. Mira’s theme in particular felt like a misstep, with the slow Russian opera coming off as overwrought to me. (I actually think RAAM’s theme is one of the best in the game.)

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH no.

(IMO he is a generic producer who rode the MLP train into stardom. The MLP thing let a lot of people get away with making sub-par music and still get a lot of views JUST because it was tied to MLP.

When was the last time he made an MLP song? 2 years ago or more. Because he is just jumping on the bandwagon of every popular thing and making music based on them. He is not good, he just feeds from the hype of other brands. [and yes i am butthurt about the whole thing.])

BRING BACK MICK!

Mick Gordon’s themes are more consistent imo but tusks, rash’s, Kim wu’s and eyedols themes are some of the best in the whole game.

There is a magic to producing that not a lot of artists have. If you give the EXACT SAME SONG to 2 people and told them that the ONLY thing they could do is MIX the song (Adjust minor frequency details, decide which instruments were played in the left and right ear, and control the volumes) you would end up with two songs that were EXACTLY the same, but for some reason, one would just sound more "pleasant to the ear ".

Mick Gordon has this magic. He uses every inch of “sonic space” perfectly. As a counter-example: The Chainsmokers are poo-tier producers. They rely on the themes of their songs to get them popular, while the actual MUSIC is just generic, minimally-sculpted synth sounds from the internet.

You ever heard the song “One More Time” by Daft Punk? That song is the same thing over and over again for 5 minutes with almost no changes. Yet most people end up listening to that song 5 times in a row. The reason is because EVERY drumhit and note is sculpted to include ONLY the best sounds. it all sounds like candy to your ear. (They are currently Making “The weekend” the most popular pop-star in the world by creating AMAZING tracks for him to sing on. “I Feel It Coming” Is literally ear-sex)

Atlas Plug and Celldweller are both WAY ABOVE AVERAGE in every area of music. They probably did better than almost ANYONE else could. But Mick Gordon is God-tier. You just CANT follow him.

As weird as it sounds, If Daft Punk were comfortable doing “heavy” music, they could probably do a great job in Season 4’s soundtrack.

Wow. Thank you. Thank you for making me realize how terrible this person who has made a bunch of songs I really like and listen to all the time is. You have opened my eyes to the truth. :roll_eyes:

:Shrug:

Maybe it’s just my generation or my own tastes, and make no mistake I love Hans Zimmerman (check out the Backdraft score). But I couldn’t hum you any of the themes that Zimmer has produced. Whereas I’m nearly certain that I could get 5/10 random people in the street to sing me at least two themes that Williams has produced. I know that popularity is not a measure of quality but the impact of Williams scores in popular culture is really unequaled.

To me Gargos theme is dark because it has the MOST DEATH METAL style guitar riffs. Its the only song that play 32nd note (tremolo picked) at high speeds with Double bass to match. Its basically a grindcore/ death metal instrumental.

Gargos is chaos, speed, power, dominance, and to me the song conveys this.

2 Likes

I know it’s a matter of preference, but IMO Mick’s "Gargos theme’ hidden in Shago/Omen’s is better than Gargos’s theme.

1 Like

I originally just would have said Gordon no contest but now ill go both. A handful of S3 music has grown on me quite a bit. Rash, Kim, Eyedol, Gargos are all sick.

1 Like

Between the two music composers, I acknowledge that both are great and both have their grandness to them.

But admittedly I think 90 percent of all the music Mick’s done is wonderful. I know most folks ain’t feelin’ Riptors theme but honestly if it had more of the original theme in it and added some excellant tribal beats to make it more aggressive, it would be perfect. It IS an amazing theme.

I have to admit, Mick would have to be a god to get me to love a theme that was “dubstep like” in this case. Glacius theme. I LOVE IT and I HATE dubstep. So if anything that was impressive to pull off. a MIRACLE even.

Cell Dweller and Atlas did great on everyone but (in my opinion) Mira and Kim, I don’t hate their themes but certain parts really spoil the mood. Such as Kim shouting HIYAAAAAA!! and let’s not forget about the electronic fly buzzing in your ear.
I’m not feeling RAAM’s theme either. But maybe it’s cause I don’t hear it much?

However those are just simple smudges that don’t spoil the game. With all this diverse music, you’re not gonna like everything but what I’m happy about is is I like MOST of everything. 90 percent even.

To refresh your memories:

1 Like

I’m a bigger fan of Mick’s music, not that I don’t like the work of the S3 composers. Thing was, with Mick, he’d give you teases, he’s upload official versions sometimes and generally interact with the community.

With Celldweller and Atlas Plug, from what I could see, there was pretty much none of that other than acknowledgement of the praise that people were giving them for their work.

Not to say that their work was “bad” or anything, just that Mick’s compositions really sum up Killer Instinct for me - powerful, driving and above all, suited fully with the engine they were built for (looking at you, S3 ultra notes in certain places).

You convinced me lol. The more I listen to it the better it gets.
Maybe if he had a “real” stage and no goofiness I would’ve appreciated his theme more.

Personally I’d live season 4 to have a different composer to each character… like have mick do a song atlas do a song or two… Robin bean land return to do a song etc

Yeah, makes since. Ive been listening to the entire album on my head phones at work and its grown on me. Raam has become my favorite song of S3. But Ill always enjoy Micks songs more…but not going to lie S3 has grown on me more than I expected.

Probably not totally fair to S3 composers for not having the stages, because I think having stages helps to appreciate the musical theme. By the way not a Doom fan but I cannot stop listening to the soundtrack,lol

1 Like