Member of the New KI Guard! (Help needed)

Hey Crazies,

I’ve been out of fighting games near a decade, until recently first season KI was available free with Gold. A friend persuaded me to grab it for some matches. That was three weeks ago, I haven’t been able to put the game down since. In fact I enjoyed it enough that I quickly ponied up and bought the second season (although missed out on Shadow Jago, thought he was a guy you unlocked in game).

I’m a pretty chill gamer, been messing around and button mashing with a lot of the characters. Having fun with Ranked, Story and Shadow mode all at once (only the Dojo lessons have really been a pain).

For someone new enterting back into the community I was wondering the following things:

1. What is a great source for finding individual character tutorials and tips? Any recommendations?

2. Are there any larger somewhat non-competitive groups that hang out and play? (I’m the Northern Captain of a large group for Gears called Gearz and Beers for example).

3. Is there a list of fighting game specific acronyms? I get lost with the jargon lol.

4. When will Season 3 be available? March right? I don’t see any pre-order options.

5. Was there no other way to get Shadow Jago if I missed out on the window?

Okay I could go on but those are the basics. What I really want is a site/youtube channel which helps beginners (I’ve played enough to be a 38 and some success in ranked but really still a noob and every character is so different) with all the basics for each character and of the game.

Appreciate the time anyone spent reading this and any kind of response! Great game.

Hello,

Welcome to the community, we’re happy to have you.

1. @Infilament has the best guide for KI. Please visit his website to get a more in depth look at this game and it’s mechanics. http://ki.infil.net/

2. Yes, and I’m sure it will grow as season 3 launches. Check the Tournament’s Section http://forums.ultra-combo.com/c/Tournaments

3. Yes, go here. http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/oct/21/street-fighter-terminology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/

4. Yes, it comes out in March, but no definitive launch date has been announced yet.

5. Shadow Jago will more than likely be up for grabs again after season 3 launches. I’m sure there will be a ton of new KI players such as yourself wanting to get their hands on him. Don’t worry, he’s exclusive content, but not a 1 shot thing.

1 Like
  1. What is a great source for finding individual character tutorials and tips? Any recommendations?

Start here, http://ki.infil.net/

Probably one of the best online resources. Also, play close attention to the in-game dojo (although this will be updated for season 3, so you may wait) and move list (which describes each move in detail and their properties).

1. Are there any larger somewhat non-competitive groups that hang out and play? (I’m the Northern Captain of a large group for Gears called Gearz and Beers for example).

Well, there are the “weekly” forum battles, but feel free to send some of us invites. A lot of us are on a lot of the time. I’m almost always down, even when it says I’m not online, wink, wink…

GT: Zcythe

1. Is there a list of fighting game specific acronyms? I get lost with the jargon lol.

Not all terms apply, but http://shoryuken.com/glossary/

or here, http://iplaywinner.com/glossary/

or here, http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/oct/21/street-fighter-terminology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/

1. When will Season 3 be available? March right? I don’t see any pre-order options.

March is all we know.

1. Was there no other way to get Shadow Jago if I missed out on the window?

Not really, but you never know if they’ll make him available again so just keep an eye out.

1 Like

I think your questions have pretty much been answered by the other responses, so I’ll just say “welcome to KI”. :grin:

1 Like

You can get Shadow Jago right now with a Day One Xbox Live Gold card with Shadow Jago Skin bonus. Xbox is selling them now on the Xbox store. this was actually posted via MS team last week as well.
There are other places that sale them too…Toys R us…Target, Ebay…ect…

Infill’s guide is great

Sajam’s youtube video KI ladder climb bronze to killer tutorial

Max’s videos are great…any search on youtube is always good

1 Like

Here is the link to the article on Shago codes

2 Likes

I’m short on time, or else I’d respond individually to thank everyone who contributed above! Impressive and informative. I’ll learn how to navigate the forum a bit better in the future, but thanks for all the feedback. I’ll be well on my way now! See you crazies around the circuit!

Cheers,
P.s. I hope some of the info has some strats on improving your shadow! Not sure if I should save after most matches (or should I look in depth at the stats to see whether it made my shadow better or worse), and how to get defense up type of deal. That was the one question I forgot. Regardless thanks again!

Shadow defense rate climbs over time with more matches recorded. I would only record matches with almost full green or half green but with positives on the points you feel need improvement.

The more matches the better

1 Like

Take a look at this when you get the chance, posted by the devs themselves!

Good luck!

1 Like

welcome to the game! which character have you been playing with the most?

Hello there, welcome to KI. In terms of your second question, I am one of the co-organisers/founders of the Forum Battles hosted weekly (other than this week where we postponed due to the KI World Cup), along with @RGLOfficial and @MrxFlutterShy I’ve added you and would be happy to fight you/talk over strategies/give advice etc where I can and I’d say it’s likely everyone else won’t mind either.

As for the other questions, I’m trying to get a guide together myself (the Killer Instinct Community Guide), but Infil’s guide, as of now, is the most complete resource (not to say it’s the only one).

Best of luck getting Shago, hope your training/learning goes well.

1 Like

Was checking out this website this morning. Spent an hour messing around and didn’t even get into the serious stuff. Colossus effort, exceptional material. Bookmarked it as a go to! Probably take me weeks to soak it all in but really helpful.

Cheers,
2 Likes

Loaded question! Ha, not really. I’ve been so curious after being away from fighting games so long, that I’ve truly had a scoop or two of everybody. Spreading myself pretty thin, kind of means in the early going I’ll suffer for not having much mastery over everyone but I’m just a casual player anyways.

Currently using:

1. Kan-Ra (who I referred to as Ken-Ra for a while. Maybe my favorite but not very good with him).
  2. Thunder
  3. Orchid (really love her move set, she wasn’t even on my radar until a couple days ago)
  4. Spinal

In terms of success, this probably makes sense to most but Jago and Thunder seem to work well for me. I’m guessing because they have a simpler move set/commands. As for who I don’t like, Omen and Aria…probably for the opposite reasons. I didn’t like Cinder either at first but now starting to love him.

How about you? Who did you use at first and who do you play with now? Plus do most people play with a lot of different characters at first before settling in, or do some play with all even after settling in?

I hope the defense does climb. Around 10% seems low. I’ve mostly been playing Shadow Survival. Should I look on the ranking board and challenge higher ranked shadows perhaps? Who do you use for your shadows?

Awesome, thanks man. Also just kind of taking a quick poll of those I’ve talked to…what characters do you use for your shadow?

Awesome, I’ll look out for this stuff.

BTW, it’s likely found on here but since you have extensive experience with the forum…is there a way to multi-quote so that you can respond to multiple people at once instead of individually. Kind of amateur hour responding one by one I’m guessing.

I use Omen mainly and have swapped out the 2nd with TJ, Aria, and a few others.
You just have to keep fighting and maybe get a life lead and then just allow your opponent to attack you and block everything they throw at you. also you need to hit some counter breakers and a ton of combo breakers. those both will jump your defense up significantly.

1 Like

Just copy and paste every thing you want to quote. You can paste and then scroll back up to another piece to copy and come back down and paste it. its pretty easy.

1 Like

#Welcome to Killer Instinct!
Not a lot that hasn’t already been said, but I’ll do my best to help out.

1)Outside of the in game Dojo (which is great), Infil’s guide has been quoted on here for its usefulness.

2)For fun group play, the Forum Battles have been a pretty decent way to get play with others. You can also just add people from the forums to your friends list, as most of our user names are just out gamertags (though there are exceptions, and sometimes there are little grammatical differences)

3)I didn’t know this one personally, but it’s been pointed out earlier in the thread.

4)Season 3 is planned for a March release as far as we know. Probably won’t be able to purchase it for a while though. More information about S3 will be available this weekend during/after PAX South and KI World Cup.

1. Shadow Jago as a promotional character has been available on and off periodically for a long time. You might still be able to get on of the original Day One cards, and I’ve heard some tourneys may give out codes for Shago, but otherwise it’s just kind of a waiting game.

Bonus: To quote multiple people in one post here on the forums, it’s a lot like copy and paste. Highlighting text and hitting the “quote reply” button that pops up should add that quote to your current post. There’s also a command in the post sub-heading thing that makes it so something appears in a quote box, but that’s only available on PC. It does have a sort of HTML code as well, but I forget what it was.

Hope it helps. Hope to see you on here frequently comrade.

1 Like

the link to Shago cards I posted above…they are available right now

1 Like