Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite

I’d expect a mix of mostly known MCU Marvel characters to move units and make non-comic-nerds comfortable with their purchase, combined with a few obscure characters, most likely with the intention of setting up said characters for a cinematic or TV debut, or maybe just to draw people into an existing or new comic series. They’d be remiss not to treat this kind of mashup game as a marketing brochure for the ■■■■ they’re doing.

I’m actually still not really comfortable with these. I think being a multiplatform franchise sets an expectation among fans that they can make their purchasing decisions and go out and buy a console with the expectation that the latest games in said franchise won’t ■■■■ them over by going exclusive to the other box. I guess it might be the case that some of these games would’ve been canned, or not even made it into production in the first place if not for backing from a console vendor, but I don’t think it’s as clean-cut as that – they might find another publisher, that console vendor money might flow into something original, the game might just be shelved for a while until financing is found, etc – and I don’t think the exclusivity is good for the sales or long-term health of the product or franchise.

In practice I don’t think it’s worked out particularly well for either game. SFV needs every sale it can get in the state it’s currently in, and if the dodgy incomplete figures we get are to be believed, RotTR flopped on Xbox One then flopped on PS4 despite very solid support and promotional efforts.

fwiw I think the SFV situation is worse than the Tomb Raider situation. I might be biased because I don’t have a PS4, I don’t like how the schism created by SFV’s exclusivity affected KI, and I don’t care too much about TR in general, but at least with RotTR if I had a PS4 I could wait a year, or go out and get access to a 'Bone for the 30 hours it takes to beat it and then totally forget it exists again like the typical 30-hour action adventure. SFV asks for a long-term commitment to a console and subscription service that I may not have (and in this case I don’t have) since learning a fighting game requires extensive lab time and actual human opponents. If I happen to be really into SFV and also really into KI (or competitive Gears or Halo or something, and also couldn’t spend $1500+ on a PC) then I’m paying two subscriptions because Capcom apparently couldn’t keep their books balanced without Sony stepping in.

But anyway, on topic I think people don’t care about 3 months of exclusivity, especially in this case where people are probably just relieved that they are going to get the game on their machine at all.

Yeah, I didn’t know who about half of the Capcom fighters were until they were introduced in MVC2. For example I never played in arcades or on the Genesis when I was a kid, so I had no clue who Strider was.

…ooh, you know what would be awesome, but probably wouldn’t happen…if they added a handful of Disney characters from old Capcom games…like Scrooge McDuck or Aladin. Scrooge needs to pogo on his opponents like Sadira does!

…maybe as DLC…

My bad if it’s “just” 3 months.
Yes I know it’s multiplatform… And PC can likely face off against XBL. But my salt is very thick from Capcom’s contracts.

For stuff like TR, and if it applied to SFV, where there’s timed exclusivity due to putting up money to help develop it, that’s a middle ground for me.
But SFV isn’t a timed exclusive, and TR on the PS4 actually benefits from post release support.

Imagine, SFV coming to the XB1 as is NOW, not as it was for the privilege of paying for early access and debugging? That’d be quite the experience, non?

3rd parties need to act more neutral. Some more than others.

Butt hurt XD (jk)

1 Like

Really…?

I’m gonna say this clearly:

People who say I’m dropping Game “X” On Said Game’s OFFICIAL FORUM… Are pretty much attention grabbers… Heck even on twitter it’s bad.

To put it in Comparison:

You’re invited to a A really really fancy party. But you hate the person who is the host/or just the party In general. Would you say: “Im leaving the party because I hate you Party” Would you?

No. You slip out quietly Because It makes you look Unprofessional. Yet many pros do this.

TL;DR

7 Likes

i said jk as in joking

Sorry… I’ve been having a S*****y day.

Sorry about that.

It’s too early to tell, but I hope the game is good.

Having no assists is a bit of a downer, because all the previous MvC games were about making teams with smart assist use, and I can see the new game just being “pick two good characters and play them individually” (which you could pretty much do in SFxT as well, even though that game had team-specific combos). That would be a shame if it ended up like that. The cool thing about a game like Marvel 3 is that you never really thought of one character (aside from X-factor Vergil maybe) by themselves. It was always “Morrigan with Doom assist” or “Magneto with plasma beam assist” or “Viper with vajra assist”, and you had entire teams constructed to make something like Frank West work (like team Bee, Spencer/Frank/Dante, in that order). I want that to come forward into the new game, but it sounds like it might not.

I am not overly impressed with the graphics early, but it’s probably an alpha build so I won’t judge it yet.

1 Like

hey thats ok :slight_smile:

my comment was pretty dumb

1 Like

No Problemo

3 Likes

I can’t express how much I hated Vergil. Not that I hate it per se, I hate how OP he was over the rest of the cast.

I just hope there is no character who is tremendously op in this game.

I feel sad that Cap. America and Iron Man seems to be very similar to their MvC3 itinerations. I saw a rocket from Iron Man’s hand, so maybe there are new moves, but overall both characters feel outdated on mvc3.

New characters had interesting gameplay mechanics, while Iron man, cap America or Spiderman were the same as their mvc2 itinerations. Almost no evolution. Just hope to see them with new mechanics

Well, just to sort of throw this out there - there will be a pretty direct inverse correlation to how novel the characters gameplay will be and how many characters are in the game. They can’t get 30 new and unique characters built in the next year. There will be a similar inverse correlation with game balance. So it will be interesting to see how Capcom manages those trade offs. If copy/paste iron man, cap and Ryu are any indication we might be looking at UMvC3.5 just without assists…

My bad dude, didn’t mean to shake you up.

It could be a little interesting to some.

1 Like

No… It’s ok. Your fine. Just had a bad day :confused:

1 Like

This is my biggest fear. I want the characters to actually work together in neutral, not just simply starting off a combo with one character and finishing it with the other.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m really not sure how the tag mechanic is supposed to measure up to how assists worked before. Though…maybe if you were able to do a fast tag at ANY time, regardless of action and whether you’re in a combo, you could get a sort of “reverse assist” effect–say, do a tatsu with ryu on block, tag to another character immediately, and now you have some lockdown for your pressure with the other character. They’d almost certainly have to limit tags in some way for that to work though, and it probably doesn’t fit in with their idea of “accessibility.”

1 Like

idk why crapcom hasnt touched DS in forever aside that its got a smaller player pop than MVC or SF. it was a really solid fighter, and i enjoyed it immensely. some day ill get to fight as Talbain and kill everyone again…someday…

Here’s a video by Maximilian where he speculates about some of the gameplay mechanics from the Gameplay trailer

3 Likes

YES! There’s still a chance Psylocke will return! :smiley: