Mage/warrior (un)balance

So, I don’t believe I’ve seen this topic raised yet, but if it has been, sorry in advance.

Anyone else feel like mage and warrior aren’t properly balanced between them?

Right now, I feel like warrior is considerably stronger (probably mainly due to j.HP being active too soon and having too much blockstun, Kinda creating a strange lockdown that shouldn’t be supposed to work quite like that xD), and that mage kinda pales a bit, in comparison.

But more than that, I also feel like due to the fact that only specials trigger the change between heads, mage is seen for only a fraction of the time, since its playstyle revolves a lot more around the use of specials, while warrior makes much more use of normals, jumping normals and throws.

Anyone else feel this or have comments on it? =P

J.hp is getting nerfed. Also mage has the op back-mp.

Maybe the way they can partially “nerf” Warrior is to have Jumping HP be apart of the “switch” criteria?

If you do 5 JHP in what ever the measurement is for switching you switch to Mage.

There would be a hell of a lot of Mage playing right now and a lot less J HP! lol

Not OP, IMO - you can block it, jump it, or low profile it.

Op if it works Kappa

Normals trigger stance switch too at least in training - only jump normals dont trigger the switch from my training experience.

I’ve switched on warrior stand HK but never any other normal. Maybe it’s just select normals? I’m pretty sure it’s not all.

Well, the test is simple. Press each normal repeatedly to see if he changes his stance after , say, 10 tries…

It at least feels annoying when all Eyedol has to do is catch you in one low lightning special (which is pretty easy to do) and it becomes a guaranteed gain of a warrior charge. And it knocks you back to about half screen. The low-lightning-teleport combo is very annoying.

A relatively easy way to overcome it is just spend most of the mage time blocking low until the lightning makes him switch back to warrior. But that’s tedious.

The b.MP in mage stance doesn’t even need to hit confirm. If you block it, he can still immediately hit-confirm with a follow-up teleprt due to the block stun.

Low bolt is easy to avoid/block and as such isn’t very effective against even half-way competent players. It’s when the Eyedol player starts throwing meteor mixups at you that you really gotta start worrying.

Don’t think this is exactly how the stance switching works. Been trying to figure it out, but there’s more to it than this. It’s possible stand HK lets you switch, but doesn’t increase your chances to switch when it doesn’t work. It’s basically impossible to verify my theories in training mode, though.

So yeah, I don’t think “press the button 10 times to test” is going to be conclusive enough. I might accept “raise your chances to switch very high by punching yourself 3 times, then press the button 100 times”, but I’m not gonna run those tests.

Well, I had no idea normals also triggered the switch, but I’d definitely say they don’t increase the odds, at least.

I haven’t ever seen this happen =S if they’re supposed to have the same effect as specials, I don’t think they’re working properly at all ^^’

I believe normals should trigger the change as much as specials, IMO. Throws as well. Jumping normals I’d say would be too odd to throw into the mix, because having Eyedol switch once he lands might be weird…

IDK about you but I find I am switching to mage more often then Warrior.

i switched on St.mk, st.hk, st.mp (warrior) and cr.mk

I even switched on whiffed normals - maybe its a bug.

But you can def switch on normals - maybe not all though.

Maybe its a flat percentage that never changes - maybe in general 1% chance to switch on normals as example.

A lot of maybes it seems - maybe too many maybes .

But i have no ambition to validate every normal - you are the guide man :joy: so maybe you can…

1 Like

I find the sheer fact that you really don’t have alot of control on when Eyedol flips on you or not keeps you on your toes and tests your ability to adapt.

I’d rather just ask the devs lol

1 Like

I actually agree, which is why as of the current time Eyedol is pretty OP. Most people aren’t forced to use specials with Eyedol when he’s in warrior so you don’t have a chance to work around the head change and the confusions/etc that causes

I think they’re pretty balanced, like someone said the key is to steady with the ranged mixups when in mage mode. Meteors, lightning, b+mp, the stance is sick when you’re randomly rotating and juggling with those things. But as OP points out, it’s usually gone way too soon leaving Warrior mode stranded.

Now that I think about it, maybe more b+MP would help keep that stance in play longer.

there have been soooo many time when I’ve gone near whole matches in warrior mode exclusively. I think the RNG trigger is a bit busted when taking combos into account. I switch after a Warrior ender only once in a looooong time

Fought a guy that would between rounds punch himself into mage stance only to punch himself straight back into warrior stance with a reset on the switch chance. Clearly one stance is better than the other.

1 Like

Nope, both are good, just for different reasons. I’ve been able to win entirely with mage stance and without zoning 100% of the time. The trick is simply knowing how to use it effectively. Most people seem to underplay it from what I’ve seen - they don’t realize the potential it actually has.