Linker scaling

Basically, the concern the OP is raising is that if you do an immediate counter breaker when your opponent has no white life on them, it will be difficult for the 0 meter combo to get to a level 4 ender. Because all counter breakers start with a medium linker, the scaling behavior kicks in extra hard for these characters.

The 1 meter/2 meter combos aren’t affected as much, because shadow linkers ignore scaling and always do a base amount of damage (thus increasing the ender level far enough to get to level 4). So even characters with the odd scaling behavior can get to level 4 using shadow linkers.

Even though it may not be the most desirable way to balance a character’s damage, I’m not totally convinced anymore that it’s a bug/an accident. And maybe changing the way it works could introduce some disparity in the combo damage, because these characters will be getting 5% or more extra damage per opening (not just counter breaker situations). Maybe for some characters that’s okay, but not for others, I dunno.

1 Like

didn’t the live stream on patch 3.4 say they were gonna make this game legit competitive. I’m sure they’ll fix it, they have to. even tho my main isn’t effected it’s really hard lately to not be down on this game and these half assed decisions IG has been making. having said that, Ima boot up some KI😊

The game is already “legit competitive.” It has been for the last three years.

It’s not that hard not to be down on the game. You can observe and raise concerns about issues without dumping on it. KI is still a good game, despite its problems.

no it’s not competitive. shadow linkers break on 1. fulgore can’t shadow teleport and cancel into shadow teleport…::::honestly I’d be here all f’n day telling you what’s broken. but keep telling yourself what u wish.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is competitive.

Let that sink in.

4 Likes

The fact that some linkers have weird scaling rules does not impact in any way whether this game can be played “legit competitive”.

As for telling us all what’s broken, there are definitely small things here and there but only drastic things like the input reverse bug get in the way of real gameplay. If “Fulgore can’t cancel shadow teleport into shadow teleport” is the first thing that comes to mind (something I’m not sure is even true, but if it is, just use a different shadow move the second time?), then I dunno if we have the same definition of broken.

Input bug sucks, though.

lol damn really. I dabbled lightly in that game when it came out. but this is my first brawler I’ve really ever played…so, ya that’s some heavy crap you just laid on me and it sunk in really quickly lol

Every game has bugs and stuff that doesn’t make sense, and anyone who says their games is completely bug free is lying.

1 Like

so most bugs that I’m seeing are situational and that’s just part of the fighting game scene?

Not sure what you mean by this.

Yes.

ya I have a video or two of fulgores teleport bug in the reporting thread. it’s unfortunately a thing. I wish I was lying.

Yep. Heck KI is probably one the best games in terms of bugs that affect gameplay getting fixed. Marvel is literally dominated by players who can best exploit bugs. SFIV for a long time was dominated by characters that could exploit the unblockables bug. And pre-SFIV games good luck ever seeing bugs get fixed.

KI bugs are spotted, pointed, addresed and fixed.

Game breaking bugs are uncommon and they fix them ASAP.

There are still some bugs around? Sure, but that bugs, except very particular and exceptional circumstances, never break the game to make you drop it. And all this being one of the most balanced fighting games.

maybe i get to worked up about this crap cause I only play one character. lol. there’s no room for tolerance with one main. haha.

damn y’all. I see the light! hallelujah

ya I heard all that before. but the fact that it’s common place and we work around them is news to me.

If you are interested in learning about how buggy some historic fighting games are, feel free to ask.

Even a very simple game like SFV has some bugs people have to work around (such as auto-correct and input detection bugs). Mika’s irish whip combo no longer works on counter hit as of the Urien patch. Bug or feature? We’ll never know.

Game-crashing bugs are not uncommon in legacy fighting games. Marvel 2 has a famous one where you can soft-lock the game by doing a particular combo. In the first build of 3rd Strike, if Ken killed Makoto with forward throw, the entire game crashed.

Some bugs are now game-defining strategies. Vanilla Marvel 3 had the DHC glitch, which led to highly damaging combos for very little meter. Ultimate Marvel 3 has the TAC infinite glitch, which incorrectly adjusts your hit stun so you can get hit with infinite combos from almost everyone in the cast any time a TAC is used.

I actually do think KI is slightly buggier than some other games… probably because the team is small and I would guess their budget for QA isn’t as high as it could be. They are also making characters that break the game rules in new ways every month; when experimentation is high, sometimes things will break. The issues that actually cause the game to break (and not just be a slight annoyance with an easy work around) are usually fixed within a month or so. I wish that turnaround was shorter, but at least the important stuff gets fixed. People who play other games just have to deal with it.

holy crap. I feel hella bad for being so critical.

I’ll try and watch my tone in the future.

so older versions of fighting games receive no dev support at all? so all the focus is on the latest titles and still suffers? daaaang! I’d me soooo mad. is that why most people don’t enjoy fighting games in general? or more of a like it or hate it without reason. I personally love KI cause it’s sick as f¥€k. it’s just brutal to call out counters and the pressure is pretty intense. but thanks for taking the time out to post back. appreciated greatly indeed. :heart:

Well that resolved itself amiably :-p

I still come down that this is something (whether intentional or not) that is/has been consciously worked around to get characters to their desired damage levels - I kind of doubt there’s any real drive to move these characters off from the base amounts of damage they’re currently doing.

Could be wrong, but that’s just my sense. As I said in my first response, most of those characters’ damage output “feels” about right to me right now. Even the ones who might seem off, like Kim, don’t actually even seem to benefit much from fixing the bug (though I guess overhead->combo would now be significantly better).

I mean…all it takes is normal scaling and changing the opener for her no-meter combo to jump up by 10%. I think that speaks to just how much damage scaling can affect combos, and what this bug is doing to her.

My belief is that damage for these characters “feels” right because of factors other than what would truly be “fair.”

TJ has strong juggles and autobarrage does a fixed amount of damage, so his damage “feels” about right.

Maya previously did low damage and leans pretty hard on one-chance juggles in instinct. If she does a low damage combo it doesn’t look weird because that’s what we’re used to.

Riptor frontloads a lot of damage with her flame chains and has a strong shadow linker in shadow headbutt. On punishes and lockouts she still deals solid damage.

Aganos has wallcrash to boost his damage and typically doesn’t want to engage the breaker game much; this scaling issue doesn’t come up for him much outside of coutnerbreak combos.

Kim has very strong juggles, and her two-hit shadow damage ender makes it look like she’s doing a lot more damage in grounded combos than she actually is. Really though, she sticks out as a character that feels like her damage isn’t where it’s supposed to be.

Arbiter’s damage ender is wonky. It doesn’t gain much damage from gaining ender levels, but it does very high damage at lower levels. His vortex also plays around the normal double/linker game.

Rash has juggles, but that’s about it.

Gargos and eyedol are both characters that feel like they’re meant to be low damage. If anyone would have to see adjustments with scaling being normalized across the cast, it would probably be these two (eyedol moreso than gargos) and maybe riptor.

I dunno. I understand where you’re coming from saying it might be intentional and I will fully admit: it might be intentional. But going about it like this just feels really off. I wouldn’t believe it’s intentional unless @developers told me so.

There is something that still feels odd to me. And it’s the difference between characters.

I mean, it’s ok for Maya to have “low” meterless lvl4 combo damage because they want you to spend meter to get damage with her. Sounds reasonable.

But Aganos only gets a 1%damage boost without the “bug”. Seems so marginal to me. So another question assaults me: maybe it’s related to another thing. Maybe it serves to check his wall crash mechanic and avoid greater damage in that scenario.

Because I understand and agree about Aganos current combo damage. But for a 1% boost, this doesn’t look on porpuse. Seems accidental. Unless there is something more involved

1 Like