Let me ban combo assist in my lobbies

The only advantage it gives over an inexperienced player is exactly the advantage it’s supposed to give.

It’s supposed to remove the execution barrier. If you want to practice your execution don’t go online. Go into survival against the AI, go into Shadow Survival.

Don’t go online against real people when you’re trying to learn the game and then whine about those people not learning the game they way you want them to.

You can’t learn by just playing bots, especially if you’re getting into competitive play. Also I don’t see how using a shortcut is learning.

So dont play online if you want to play the game as a beginner without cam activated…

Seriously stubborn point of view.

Maybe he wants to learn the game the way he wants to learn it with playing online in mind but without being at disadvantage system side (cause you know he paid for xbl like we all did)? Actually his question is pretty fair - why no filter in freaking lobby mode? I can filter to only let killers in but not to only play vs non cam users. Thats just stupid.

But on this forum you get squashed if you just want a option and voice your concern. I have gone through this a lot of times here.

If you’re at the skill level where you can truly believe that Combo Assist is an unfair advantage (OS aside), then Combo Assist is probably for you.

Asking to ban it from a lobby is like asking, “please only match me up against blind players, because I’m choosing to play with my eyes closed”.

10 Likes

If all you’re trying to do is learn execution, which is the only reason you’d want to ban CAM, then yes, you can learn against bots.

You are so hung up on CAM that you’re missing the entire point of the game. Mind games. Opener>AD>Linker>Manual>Ender. That’s what you can learn with CAM.
Spacing. That’s what you can learn with CAM.
Risk/reward. That’s what you can learn with CAM.

1 Like

No it isn’t, now you’re just reaching.

In that case, I might as well be playing chess if I shouldn’t be required to learn the game.

I’ll be the first to admit that I can’t see the perspective here because I’m not new. From my point of view when I want some friends to play I’m going to guide them towards CAM to start and when they ask why I don’t use it I’ll tell them why and they can make up their minds from there. This game has plenty of options to practice.

You know what’s interesting, this game has had shortcuts since release and yet nobody has complained about them. By default triple punch and triple kick are bound to buttons. Where’s the outrage on this?!?! I mean come on, I choose to press all 3 buttons at once and sometimes I miss, it’s not fair that other people choose to hit one button every time and never miss! Why can’t I ban people binding Triple punch to one button?! How am I supposed to get better?

Oh you think I’m being hyperbolic? Really? Well lets look at this logically. All CAM does is remove Two inputs down and a direction, mind you that’s not for specials out of combo only for specials within a combo. What does binding triple punch/kick do? Oh hey it removes the execution of pressing two inputs. So I ask again where has the outrage been on this?

I’ll tell you what it is, new players can do damage now and that’s scary to some people. That’s the only reason I can see that makes CAM different.

And if you’re going to say pressing a direction is different than pressing a button, that’s simply not true. I use a hitbox I have only buttons it’s quite literally the same thing.

5 Likes

CAM or not, I’m still having fun playing the game. Plus, If I’m losing to Cam players, I’d think I need to work on my defense. It’s not that bad.

2 Likes

The overall point of CAM is to get players to eventually learn the proper way, at least that’s what the initial posts claimed by Adam and the rest of the devs. Right now, the way everyone is talking it seems like no one is supporting the idea that someone wants to learn the traditional way like CAM was intended to do. It actually sounds in this thread like no one should play the traditional way and if you do it’s your fault.

I’m pretty sure the Devs have never deemed there to be a “proper” way. My comprehension of their input has been that the point of CAM is to get players into the combo system more quickly so they can more quickly start understanding the two way interaction with combo breakers and counter breakers as well as the KV meter.

If it truly doesn’t give an advantage there would be no need for it.

Training wheels don’t give you an advantage in a competitive cyclist race, but they help newbies learn.

1 Like

The difference her is that there isn’t pro cyclist when you are just learning. Not only that but people on here are basically saying use CAM or don’t even try to learn at all.

Input dexterity is not the core focus of what makes KI fun. Had we figured out combo assist before KI’s initial launch, we would have had it in from the start. It’s here now, and not going anywhere.

Because (see first sentence).

Get into someone’s mind and wreck them. That’s KI.

10 Likes

I guess with SFV coming out you had to try something to get those players in to justify Microsoft giving you more money.

There is a BIG difference in the statement “use CAM or don’t learn at all” compared to “use CAM…or not. They both have pros and cons in the lower skill levels of the game and its up to an individual to choose what method to use. Just don’t ostracize someone for their decision.”

That bike analogy is almost perfect. If I’m setting up a neighborhood bike riding race Im not gonna prevent someone from joining because he has training wheels. Not just because that would be an dicck move but because in the long run training wheels are give a disadvantage since you don’t have a lot of freedom in your movements and can’t turn as sharply.
Just as CAM forces you into a combo even if you just want to poke and establish space and even LIMITS you in the amount of Enders you can perform.

As Cinder would say, “ooh. Sick burn!” :fire:

But seriously.

KI was never, ever about input dexterity, even in the arcade. It was about combos, recognizing patterns of your opponents, and then breaking them. At high levels, new KI is a very mentally taxing game because you always have to pay attention and react, even when you’re the one being hit.

What it comes down to is that CAM doesn’t make you a better mental player, which is how you win in KI. Other fighting games are all about not getting hit. Full stop. KI is not like that. Inevitably, you will be hit in KI. It’s what you do once you’re being hit that makes the game great for both players. CAM allows players that would never, ever be able to get to that mental level in a fighting game to have a chance to experience it. We want more people playing fighting games because the mental game is amazing and rewarding, but so many never get to even feel it even once.

Notice that even SFV has removed all of the crazy 1-3 frame links that were in SFIV. Why? It’s not necessary to use those as a measure of skill in a game with enough other ways to outsmart and “outplay” an opponent. You could consider that skill yes, but every pro landed those with 100% accuracy, meaning at the high end game, they’re irrelevant to success.

When’s the last time you heard a commentator in any fighting game event say “wow, nice fireball input there!”.

Also, I’m from Microsoft. :kissing:

11 Likes

Being irrational option selects (and everything that looks similar) hater, may I ask for tl;dr of what devs want to do and/or some directions to places where I can find out? If some particular statements were made at all, ofc.
I am very interested in this topic.

Combo assist is not “an advantage” in the sense you seem to be saying it is. Sure, it helps (I personally use it to cash out on lockout situations and to react to things that otherwise I might not be able to as a player with no sight) but other than that I don’t see what the problem is really. Sure sometimes you can also guess when they’re using combo assist, but then all you have to do is block and punish, or out strategise most of the time.