Killer Instinct VS Mortal Kombat

I could never go back to block buttons.

As long as itā€™s not f2p or characters get released monthly.

I am dying for a Komplete game.

1 Like

To be completely honest, the season structure of KI is what has kept me playing going on three years. If KI had launched with a ā€œfullā€ roster I probably would have gotten sick of it by now and rarely played the game, having new stuff to look forward to keeps the game fresh and keeps me coming back for more.

2 Likes

True. Same here but I rather have monthly releases of something else than characters. Can you imagine it being released June 2017 but a Scorpion isnā€™t released until 2019?

1 Like

The only characters I actually like from the SF series are Blanka and Q (design wise). Fang is the only one out of those Iā€™d be interested in seeing in a KI-like combo system, only because of his poison, but even then, Iā€™d rather see a gorgon in place of him.

1 Like

This is the one thing I would change about MK - remove the block button and make it back-to-block instead. But other than that, MK is one of my fave game franchises of all time. ^^

Also, the whole ā€œMK and KI are too differentā€ isnā€™t really a good arguement after seeing what SF and Tekken have going on. Itā€™s not like those two are much alike either, yet they pulled a crossover offā€¦ it might not have been all that good, but it still happened! XD

I would love to see Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct make a crossover game. Hereā€™s my idea on how they would do it:

• The gameplay system would generally be like KI, with the Combos, Combo Breakers, Counter Breakers and Shadow Moves. This means KI characters will mostly play the same as they do in KI, but with a few slight differences.
  • There will be an Instinct Meter which fills up the more damage you take. Each character will have their own unique Instinct Mode.
  • Some characters will still have their unique character trait meters, such as Aganosā€™ Fortify Chunk meter or Hisakoā€™s Wrath meter, as will some MK characters gain this as well.
  • The Shadow Meter is split in 3 for all characters, but when it is full, you can choose to spend it all on a special Level 4 Ender, called an X-Ray Ender. The background goes dark and your character will perform an especially brutal combo ender with MKā€™s X-Ray effects, broken skulls and bones etc.
  • The KI Season 3 Level 4 Ender effect wonā€™t be in the game, as it has been replaced with the X-Ray Ender instead.
  • Ultra Combos for all characters, which would be called Brutalities for MK characters.
  • When all life is depleted, the characters will enter a dizzy stage for the other to make a special finisher: No Mercies and Humiliations for KI characters, Fatalities and Friendships for MK characters.
  • There would be Stage Ultras on some stages.
  • The game would be M for Mature (18+), due to blood and gore from the X-Ray Enders and certain finishers.

Iā€™m not going into what engine this would be best done on, as I donā€™t know which one would be best to use. If all this can be pulled off in Unreal 4, then that would be preferable, but if Iron Galaxy would like to stick to the current KI engine (canā€™t remember what itā€™s called), and the X-Ray Enders + Fatalities can be done on that engine, then I wouldnā€™t mind if they stuck with that engine, or rather, a modified (better) version of it.

The difference is that a Killer Instinct VS Mortal Kombat game would be a crossover game, so it is MEANT to have characters from both franchises. Guest characters are just that: guests! They donā€™t really belong in that game, but are rather ā€œfunā€ additions which donā€™t really have anything to do with the rest of the game, and to some people, like me, they feel more intrusive than anything.

For example, Marvel VS Capcom is supposed to have all sorts of characters from those two franchises. But Street Fighter is about Street Fighter, so to put Spider-Man into a Street Fighter game as a guest character would feel intrusive and unnecessary. He would take up a spot on the roster that could otherwise be given to another Street Fighter character.

It is kinda a ā€œpuristā€ mindset, but personally, if a Street Fighter game is canon to the main series, then I would prefer for it to be pure Street Fighter, and not ā€œStreet Fighter and friends from other franchisesā€. But if a game is promoted to be just that, a clash/crossover of Street Fighter characters and other characters, then I would be completely okay with that, because then it isnā€™t part of the main canon series!

1 Like

its not a game because its a terrible idea

1 Like

Only if NRS doesnā€™t get to touch the combo system even for 10 seconds.

And they use KIā€™s netcode.

Well, they are on GGPO Netcode now. So, one down. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can I like this multiple times?

Yeah, but KIā€™s netcode is always better than MKXā€™s GPPO!

And why is it a terrible idea, in your opinion?

These are 2 games with two entirely different themes in their entirety, from a story standpoint, atmospheric standpoint, and a gameplay standpoint, lets compare.

1. Story? MK is about a tournament set up by Godly beings in which Earth can defend itself from Shao Kahns invasion, a millenial tournament in which if Shao won 10 in a row, heā€™d merge Outworld with earthrealm, then the story was muddied up with several realms and the overall ā€œprotection of Earthā€.

KIā€™s story is revolved around a tournanment created by a mega corparation as a televised event in which fighters around the world would participate, but was mostly created for Ultratech field testā€™s like Fulgore, Riptor, and Cinder and judging their success, but immediately turning into a 3-way war for the freedom of the world, or total control under 1 of 2 evils.

These two stories only have a few similarities, but not enough imho

1. The Atmosphere in MK is always dark and gritty, super spooky or just generally gorey while KI is varying in atmosphere to being colorful and ethnic or being dark or menacing, i feel MK would overshadow KIā€™s atmosphere, OR KIā€™s lighter tone could wear down MK (remember MK vs DC? that wasnt fun for anyone)

2. Gameplay, this is just the final nail in the coffin, these games play entirely too differently to work well together, MKs combo system is about taking basic 3 punch combos for example and combining them with specials or enhanced specials as well as run combos and crazy juggles, KIā€™s entire gamplay is based on a combo structure with entirely different mechanics, Openers, Doubles, Linkers, Enders, NONE OF THAT is in MKā€™s structure and it would divide the targeted consumers, if you make it too much like MK, KI fans wont appreciate it much, make it too much like KI and MK fans might get turned off, try merging the playstyles and itā€™ll be a jumbled mess that everyone might hate.

Ergo, we dont need another SF x Tekken fiasco, let these games be their OWN games, thats my opinion and im gonna stick by it, and while on this subject, im also heavily against a character from MK being a guest in KI or vice versa.

1 Like

I find story doesnā€™t have to be a big thing in crossover games. Since you knowā€¦non canon anyway. Devs can just really throw a miss mash story together and be done with it.

MK and KI can work. Other games have done crossover stuff. It can work. But Iā€™d rather SF vs KI.

Yeah, this.
In a clash/crossover game, the main lore doesnā€™t really matter as it wonā€™t be part of any of the main series.
And as for gameplay, borrowing from both franchises or making something new is what made the Marvel VS Capcom series so popular, as that is basically what they did. It was a bit of Street Fighter, a bit of Darkstalkers, etc. If done right, it can turn out to be good.

When someone says ā€œIt canā€™t be doneā€, it just strikes me as someone who doesnā€™t think creatively enough. If both companies want this to happen, they will MAKE it work!

Problem with KI is, You put either MK or SF with it and thereā€™s not alot of stuff MK or SF can bring to KI. I mean KIā€™s got

CBā€™s, ground boucnes, wall bocunes, EX moves (shadow moves), finishers, 6 button layouts, back to block, meter useage, cross-ups etc etc.

I mean the only thing I can see KI tking from MK is fatalities. Thatā€™s really itā€¦and not that great. SFā€¦all you really get is ā€œsupersā€ with max meter. Again thatā€™s really it. Difference is you can use supers anytime you have full meter, whereas fatalities can only be done once a match.

a KI/Darkstalkers game would probably be amazing, given the number of similarities between the two series.

Maybe theyā€™re too similar to make it worthwhile, though.

KI vs BR.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

1 Like

Well, both SF and Darkstalkers are Capcom games, hence the similarities. Just like Mortal Kombat and Injustice are both Netherrealm Studios games.

BR? As in Bloody Roar?
So the Instinct Meter would be the Beast Gauge for the BR characters?