Killer Instinct Season 3 Graphics Shine Brighter

Absolutely. I however feel that statements like yours fuel the ideology that Killer Instinct fans are never happy.

1 Like

It is NOT an Xbox Live Arcade game. There are NO arcade titles on the Xbox One. It is a digital release title. Arcade games only exist on the Xbox 360 and didn’t really mean much of anything anyways. As the MS brass said when the XB1 1st released: “Games are games are games.”

They are no longer segregating games from each other with phrases like Arcade game or Game on Demand, so please don’t keep doing it yourself, unless you’re applying it only to specific Xbox 360 games - otherwise, it simply is no longer necessary.

That being said, KI is, generally speaking, no better off or worse than any other game (in other words, it’s doing just fine). Also, the fact that you think KI is in the same category as Pinball FX2 is something that is completely in your own mind that you decided upon. I think you’ll find that most people, especially here, will not agree with you on that particular statement that you made.

3 Likes

To say that is to say a game like Angry Birds, or even better…I Made a Game With Zombies In It is on par with something like Halo & therefore deserves just as much recognition as well as the same pricing, support, etc.

No Games are not Games are not Games…some are made of higher quality & need to be curated to spotlight those gems among the sea of garbage. After all, the games is games is games mindset is was exactly what caused the game market crash in the 80’s…there was no filter…no quality assurance.

2 Likes

i hope characters without stages atleast get reskinned or relighted stages…

No games are not games. Duh. Of course stuff that aren’t games not games.

“Games are games are games” is nothing like the issue that caused the crash in the 80’s. “People will buy anything even if it’s ■■■■” caused the video game crash.

The point isn’t that all games are Halo. The point is that there are no arbitrary distinctions in how the games are being marketed and sold by MS. You don’t have to agree or like it, but that is what they have said.

You are not at all wrong that all games are not equivalent in terms of budget, production values or market. KI clearly doesn’t have the budget of Halo (nor does it need it.). But people saying that because it is a digital only game that it should be categorized like Pinball FX is groundless.

Let’s not swing everything wildly back and forth bickering over how to categorize KI. It is sort of in a unique place. It’s a high end, lower budget game that has a sort of free to play model and kind of follows an episodic release schedule. It defies simple categorization in the old molds from last gen. I think that’s the only pertinent issue.

2 Likes

that’s fine having just 3 stages in season 3 of Killer instinct, as we should all be fortunate for the amount of stages there are already in present compared to other fighting games, but the reason why there is only going to be just 3 stages for season 3 is due to the fact it is the 2nd most expensive development development in the game. In addition the new lighting/graphical changes required a full rework of the engine meaning, they had to re create every prop, fighter, effect and stage to make this happen. In conclusion despite we are only having 3 stages for season 3 of Killer Instinct we are technically getting all the old stages re-done instead of leaving them all washed out and smuggy.

Welcome to the forums.

1 Like

They didn’t have to recreated all the props etc… textures and maps would of needed adjustments but that’s still a lot of work… but nothing recreated that’s for sure

Recreate is probably the wrong word, but they did have to “relight” the characters. I can only guess what that means because I don’t program anything - but I suspect they have to go through and adjust the lighting for each character individually.

I don’t think that’s the case here. They just had to readjust the lighting. I doubt they went so far as to remodel EVERYTHING in the stage. They just enabled the engine to run better and get better lighting.

I suspect they’re gonna show us something muc more meatier than a bunch of change of lighting when it comes to what we’re getting.

I don’t think our loss of a few stages is so the graphics are prettier either. Hopefully tommorow they will tell us why there is only three stages.

Obviously we can expect different reactions and tastes to it, depending on what it is.

I could be wrong, but I’m not sure that the engine simulates the lighting real time. They said they had to “relight” the characters for each stage and it took a lot of time. So this means getting some idea of how the character will look doing different things in different parts of the screen and then translating that into something that works in the game.

I’m out of my depth here, but whatever they did took a huge allocation of time.

I’m just going to assume they made @rukizzel change a bunch of light bulbs.

I am one of the tallest, and my arms are probably the longest.

3 Likes

A typical not-yes, not-no. Well done, sir!

1 Like

So how many community managers does it take to s-crew in light bulbs? :wink:

1 Like

Want to know? Stay Tuned

1 Like

Can confirm

4 Likes

SFV has stages with such lighting

London vs bustling side street vs india vs shadaloo base

Cant wait to see kis new lighting

Man, those stages all looked so good in yesterday’s stream with the new lighting.

I love that Spinal’s stage now has blues, white, and oranges instead of just all green.
Glacius’s has orange, red, and dark shadowed areas to separate the foreground from the background more, so it no longer just feels all blue.
Sabrewulf’s has more green, more spots with warm lighting, and added green smoke and other effects in the background.

Before, the stages all seemed to have one color they played off of. Now, every stage has vibrant spots of color here and there which is so much more interesting on the eye. Such a huge improvement!

11 Likes