Killer Instinct Guests vs Mortal Kombat X Guests comparison

options. Microsoft dont have a bunch of great characters. Even with the rareware IP. They should look into other things like movies and other games. Btw, i wish this dream would come true

1 Like

*shrug * What constitutes an ā€œinterestingā€ guest is incredibly subjective. I think alien and predator were very cool guests (though I think they majorly mucked up on predator), but I find all the other random horror-movie guests they have incredibly lame. I care not a whit for Jason or Leatherface - Iā€™d much rather play as Arbiter or General Raam.

And yeah, they majorly mucked up predator. How they could make such a cool character so utterly boring to watch is beyond me :anguished:

2 Likes

The guest characters in both games were done very well, and fit rather well in their respective games, IMO.

1 Like

How is Leatherface a good guest while Arbiter is a horrible guest?

Arbiter, RAAM, and Rash are much more suited for the fighting game scene than Leatherface and Jason. Hell even Predator could have turned out better.

MKs guests were added in because NRS is owned by WB and Ed Boon loves horror characters. Alien and Predator were the only good ones and Alien is the only that really plays well.

honestly wasnā€™t excited about MKX guest. I sorta liked Jason but the visual awkwardness is too strong (ie: his open jacket doesnā€™t move & stomping on the ground somehow juggles an air borne opponentā€¦ eww)

Tanya and Tremor was all I wanted :]

guests work better in KI IMO

I couldnā€™t disagree with this more if I tried. Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Predator, Alien etcā€¦ These are literally the last characters Iā€™d want to see as guests in MK. That series began as a martial arts movie inspired tournament with a decidedly eastern aesthetic. Thatā€™s what hooked me. Yes, Goro has four arms, and the story revealed a lot more fantastical elements, but even then, going from that to freakin horror characters, for me, is completely and utterly awful.

Now, Iā€™m just speaking for myself. I know a lot of people like those characters, so Iā€™m not going to sit here and bash them. But Iā€™ll personally take Arbiter, Rash and Raam over those characters any day of the week. As far as Iā€™m concerned, KI got the better guests and itā€™s not even close.

^ I think it was quite a success if you look at it, MKX is the best selling Fighting game of all time. It is clear Predator, Jason and many others had a huge impact especially westernizing the game.

Who would even want more Eastern Fighting Games? I canā€™t stand most of those Japanese games look how they are ruining Tekken 7 with cutie crap.

Maybe you should stop downtalking things you dont like (but a lot of others do!) to such a degreeā€¦

It makes people not like youā€¦

ā€¦just sayingā€¦

1 Like

Sorry, I wasnā€™t clear. I meant the eastern aesthetic as in the style of the backgrounds and the whole ā€œEnter the Dragonā€ vibe the game had.

By the way, just from an objective standpoint, a game selling well doesnā€™t automatically mean that everything it did was the right decision. Many core fans that Iā€™ve conversed with over at MKO were not in favor of guest characters. So itā€™s not like everyone loved that idea. Leatherface in particular drew a lot of ire if I recall correctly.

As far as Tekken 7 goes, since you brought it upā€¦ Iā€™m not a fan of the cutey crap either. I enjoy that series, but not that particular part of it.

Rash is one of the most fun characters in any FG, Arbiter is the most used KI guest, and RAAM is a very unique character, personally leather face is crap, Alien and Predator were adapted well to the game, as well as Jason but to say KI received bad guests is flawed

2 Likes

First off, Arbiter, RAAM and Rash are fantastic guests (since apparently weā€™re just arguing subjective opinion like itā€™s fact).

Second, Alien, Predator, Leatherface and Jason were all heavily pushed by WB due to upcoming/planned movies. This move was advertising. Yes, Boon and co. probably had fun doing it. But in all likelihood, the MKX guests were likely forced by the parent company for advertising (as implied by the guest polls that NRS provided showing very, VERY different results in fan interest) and KI characters were a bit more of a labor of love (at least Arbiter and Rash, RAAM was likely advertising.) (Donā€™t care though, his design is delicious.)

Third, why are you going on and on about NRS when you clearly arenā€™t as much of a fan of it as you are of KI. What do I mean? Well if you posted on MK fan sites like youā€™re posting on a KI fan site, then you would know that the vocal minority/possible majority of MK fans HATED the inclusion of Leatherface and Alien, as well as Predator and Jason to an extent. You want to talk about people believing a guest doesnā€™t belong? The KI community, at large, were guest character advocates compared to the MK community.

In summation. stahp.

Itā€™s sort of a pointless thread. Whether you like or hate MKX guest characters is completely independent of whether you like or hate KI guest characters. People can like what they like.

I donā€™t think you can make any compelling case that the MKX guest are somehow "more:"
Interesting
Appropriate
Successful
Popular

Than the KI guest characters. I think they work okay in MKX, but they are definitely not less controversial. And in my opinion, although I think NRS did a good job, I think the guests add a lot more thatā€™s interesting in terms of gameplay in KI. Even people who donā€™t like the KI guests have noted that they have cool gameplay elements. I donā€™t see people asking for Jasonā€™s silly and OP stomp,machete,stomp,machete combo from MKX to be ported over to a ā€œcanonā€ character.

But I think MKXā€™s guests are great and they work fine in the context of that game. And they do what they are supposed to which is draw a new crowd and increase the hype around the game.

I acknowledge your opinion. That being said, Leatherface was not crapā€¦ if you enjoyed trolling hardcore MK fanboys. In which case, Leatherface was freakinā€™ gold.

Oh, I canā€™t tell you how excited I got when I saw Leatherface announcedā€¦ and the rampant ire that followed of people saying he didnā€™t belong and NRS doesnā€™t listen and how Fujin was cheated. Ohhhā€¦ it was like a bell rang to provide all the douchebag online warriors with a new set of wings to fly high and induce salt with.

^ LOL that sounds hilarious

as you said I respect your opinion but I did not like the angle he provided, but as always to each his ownā€¦ I also thought Bo was horrible but again thatā€™s just meā€¦

Isnā€™t Alien just Baraka reskined? :joy:

I doubt they put Predator in MKX to advertise a movie that makes no sense really. Only a few people even play fighting games.

Ed Boon capitalized on the fact that he could actually get Predator and Alien in MKX

Thatā€™s the point. Only a few people play fighting games. Alot of people know and love the predator/ alien series. If Ed boon got a couple movie fans to be like ā€œOMG predator and alien in a fighting game??!?!? Lemme hop on this actionā€ and buy Mkx when they otherwise wouldnā€™t have touched the game he succeeded

I have followed boonā€™s Twitter a long time when he added in Predator the folks on his twitter feed started asking for Alien because it wasnā€™t right to have Predator and no Alien these 2 are some of the most iconic names in movies and they are arch nemesis. Alien was heavily requested on his twitter feed by people including myself.

I wont bother commenting on other guests like Jason he does NOT feel like a FG character sameway Halo boss does not feel like a FG character.

BUT I can tell you with certainty that Predator is an absolute fighting machine. Look how well he integrated into MKX his arsenal of crazy fighting equipment from his staff to shoulder cannon to his wolverine claws the guy is an absolute bad ā– ā– ā–  fighting machine.

I personally am not a fan of Alien but I also requested because of the fact that Predator must always fight Alien. Ever since the days of Alien vs Predator on arcades in the 90ā€™s that I played I always imagined a modern 2D fighting game with those 2 again

I donā€™t like any guest characters in any of the games.