Killer Instinct Academy

Sure thing, message me.

2 Likes

So I feel as if Iā€™ve hit a plateau that can only be solved through relentless grinding.

So, is anyone available to help me basically get my play much cleaner and more patient this weekend?

Main Tusk.

1 Like

Iā€™m new, and the biggest hurdle Iā€™m having is the combo system. It is just so different from other fighters, and Iā€™m still used to being able to autopilot once I start a combo. The only real consideration in other fighters is generally what type of combo is it going to be. Is it a punish? Is it a bnb? Is it specific to this move, etc?

The reason I mention this is because I end up in a weird ā€œmashyā€ type loop where I end up doing super annoying things like normal > opener > ender or really predictable combosā€¦ or possibly worst of all, the exact same combo every time.

So my question(s) is, how do you approach the combo situation? Do you know what you are going to do before you combo? Like this is going to be a heavy linker > light manual > damage ender? Or are you able to adapt it on the flyā€¦ which is something Iā€™m fully incapable of doing right now.

Any advice as to how I can make my combos varied? And how can I make them hard to break, etc? Really, any advice regarding the combo system would go appreciated.

Also, anyone should feel free to add me. Iā€™m down to play just about anyone, and I have zero problems losing 30 in a row if it comes to that. I play Wulf. I started Omen. Iā€™m hoping to get some experience with all of the characters eventually.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œQSpec02, post:272, topic:6472ā€]
So my question(s) is, how do you approach the combo situation? [/quote]

Well - the first thing I did was take my character into practice mode and then just combo the dummy over and over, using different variations after one variation started to feel automatic/second nature. Through practice, the differences in speed/animation between the differing strengths of doubles/linkers wonā€™t feel quite so alien, and then you can interchangeably use the strengths as you deem necessary.

In the very beginning, I would suggest ā€œchunkingā€ the combos at first - this is a method with extensive YouTube coverage so if I explanation doesnā€™t quite do it for you, definitely search it up - but basically itā€™s where you take the combo and break it down into sections, practicing each section individually, then tying the sections together bit by bit.

Also - thereā€™s no shame in using combo-assist. Donā€™t let anyone bully you into thinking otherwise.

For me, there are times where I know exactly what combo I am going to attempt, and other times where Iā€™m only worried about getting a combo started and I will use whatever is appropriate/convenient at the time. With experience, you will find yourself going for combos that contradict what your opponent has demonstrated they can break - so if your opponent is always breaking mediums, you can capitalize on that in two ways:

• Use heavies or lights at the point in the combo where they were customarily breaking mediumsā€¦ or
  • Donā€™t vary what youā€™re doing at all, then counter-break the medium double/linker you know theyā€™re going to break

Feel free to add me, Iā€™m definitely down for games/learning :slight_smile:

Especially with an attitude like this:

If you donā€™t mind my asking - what character are you playing most at the moment?

Iā€™ll be online periodically all weekend long - feel free to add me! Iā€™m no J-Wong but I donā€™t play like an idiot either :wink:

Iā€™m playing Wulf almost exclusively, and that will stay true until I get him to 50. I am grinding out the last two Omen levels via Shadow Modeā€¦ because I hate him, haha.

If you wanted some Omen practice though, I donā€™t mind playing him a bit, but youā€™d have to ask, or Iā€™ll just default to Wulf.

1 Like

Dude, I love your mentality. Keep at it man, and I promise, by the time we are done teaching you, you could be in the running for a Ranked Top 32 Star. :smile:

@QSpec02 - my training regimine awaits youā€¦ All you need do is step through the door. :video_game:

Hey guys! I need your help. I recently made it to killer and it seems as if Iā€™m hitting a brick wall now in ranked. Since then Iā€™ve only won 3 matches and 2 of those werenā€™t even killers. I desperately need some sets against good players to improve without having the frustration of losing ranked points.

Have no fear, the Geek is here! :upside_down:

If you can, posting one or two replays of your matches would probably be helpful. Even if we canā€™t link up for sets, a lot of the people here can probably point out some things for you to work on in neutral and within the combo system.

Congrats on making it to Killer.

1 Like

Thank you, I might do that. Although I think that for the most part I know what my problems are and why I lost. Itā€™s just that I canā€™t really improve under the pressure of Ranked and in FT2s with everchanging people.

Hm. Depends what youā€™re trying to work on. Consistent Ranked will at the very least teach you how to adapt quickly, and thatā€™s not a trivial skill to have.

But yeah, if you want longer sets with people, Iā€™m sure there are quite a few of us whoā€™d be willing to oblige. Iā€™m usually up for a quick FT10 :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve already obliged him with almost 50+ matches. It was fun too. :blush:

Canā€™t wait until our next set together.

*shrug * Iā€™m available now if you want to play. Dunno about 50 matches, but Iā€™d be game for a FT15 or so.

I donā€™t mind throwing down with you sometime - just add me and we can try and sort sets from there

I sent out a few friend requests. Honestly, Iā€™m easier to reach on steam if you have it (qspec), but if not, shoot me a message and weā€™ll get some matches going. Got my Omen up to 50 soā€¦ heā€™s dead to me. But my Wulf is just beginning!

One way to break my heart lol

Well I made killer! Took 100ish matches and got Wulf up to 48, but I did it! I feel a tiny bit fraudulent since Mira is so hard to do well with, the last week was basically free pointsā€¦ but Iā€™ll take it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Probably going to reset my rank again and try a new character up to 50. This is probably the first fighter Iā€™ve liked all of the characters enough to do that.

2 Likes

in my opinion, if you know how to use orchid well enough, yes.

1 Like