KI Returns to EVO

Sorry, I meant regulations on gambling and taxes. That’s what they said.

There are scenes located in Chile and maybe Brazil that could have ran this.

1 Like

Everybody needs to sign up for ki make it number 1. How do people sign up for this?

The Japanese KI scene has never been very large…it probably topped out at around 30ish people even in its heyday. The guys are all super awesome and like the game, but the title was never really mainstream for the larger Tokyo or Fu.kuoka (almost annoyed enough about site censoring this to go in and change some settings :joy:) FGC. I’ve never heard of any Korean KI players, though that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Them limiting the tournament region to just Japan and Korea definitely dropped about 15 potential players though. The Singapore scene was really bummed about not being able to compete…SG/US connections are too far to play competitively, but SG/Japan and SG/Korea are perfectly viable in KI :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, I think they could have managed that better. But I just find it interesting that for all three games the Japan/Korea signups are under 100 people. Clearly none of these games are popular in Japan despite their good online performance. I think it’s one illustration of why it’s hard to get Japanese developers to understand how important good netcode is.

2 Likes

I’m the LAST guy on these forums to suggest bad news, but… both Mortal Kombat 11 & Street Fighter V are being pulled from EVO by their respective developers: :scream:

This feels so weird to me- Imagine if the NFL cancelled the Super Bowl because one player beat his girlfriend in an elevator, caught driving drunk multiple times, or hosted a secret dog fighting ring? (All of those things happened, by the way) One fetid piece of trash should not paint the entire EVO event with the same vile colors, and this screws over the team who worked so hard to put together the world’s biggest celebration of fighting games, the competitors, and the fans themselves.

Keep your ear to the ground for more updates- it might just be me, but it feels like EVO’s foundation is getting wobblier every week… :expressionless:

-Zenek

EDIT 1 - Them’s Fightin’ Herds has backed out of EVO as well. :racehorse:

EDIT 2 - AAAaaand EVO’s dead. :skull:

Yeah it looks like EVO Online in general is cancelled.

3 Likes

KI community seems to be trying to organize a tourney. Maybe, region free, this could work and we could still have a mayor online KI tournament.

2020 has become such a weird year…

4 Likes

And there goes my lifetime chance of participate on EVO xD

We could try to organize a forum tournament, region free of course

4 Likes

Sigh. My son was excited to play in this. We were both going to go 0-2 bit for some reason he really got a kick out of the idea.

Yes there will be dozens of community tournaments. I’m not sure how to figure out which one we will do.

2 Likes

When I woke up today, I definitely didn’t expect this. It still seems as though a lot of people discovered KI because of EVO Online; so I hope the new wind in the sails continues.

Definitely disappointing across the board for all the reasons from all the angles: for the cancellation, for the behavior of so many in the FGC that harmed so many, and for how long it took to get here.

To me, this soils EVO further as a whole.

Yea I had signed up as well, was pretty excited to finally have the chance.
But yea, this definitely led to resurgence, so silver lining and all that. Really crappy situation in general though.

I am sad to see Evo go, I was looking forward to KI. It will be interesting to see what Evo will do next year. We will always have Combo Breaker.

I never did get a refund for the Smash.gg initial sign ups. I guess the TO really needed my $15 bucks.