Ki 4k?

Did anyone else notice the KI feature in the 4k Montage for Xbox One X?

Does this mean a graphical face lift version for the X or would just be stretching what’s available on PC over to console?

Hopefully it is a TRUE 4k retouch to be released for X…

Oh the possibilities… Oh the partial effects…

Yeah, dude, that was one of the official announcements out of Microsoft’s E3 press conference. KI, Gears 4, and a few others are getting official 4K updates. Minecraft oddly enough will too, in addition to a humongous graphics update for lighting and water effects, and will be cross play with almost every version except the Java and PS4 versions.

Pretty sure they’re just porting over the 4k from the pc versions and not doing anything else. Notice how they didn’t announce the 4k update for any games that don’t already run at 4k on pc?

2 Likes

Hopefully though, they’ll try to update the graphical fidelity of other games like Halo 5 and 3rd party titles like Tekken 7.

1 Like

DAT OP search bar level OVER9000

That’s what I initially suspect

Can you explain what it is that you mean by this? What possible difference could you expect between KI running on PC and on Xbox1X at 4k? The PC version is a “true” 4k…

True 4k, is native… PC port is not

Yes it is. It wouldn’t make sense for a PC game to support a resolution if it weren’t.

1 Like

@SithLordEDP is right. “Native” isn’t a property of the game itself. It refers to the resolution at which the hardware is rendering the game. So if I have a 1080p display and the hardware renders the game at 900p (as with KI on Xbox One) then it is still displayed at 1080 - because that’s the resolution of the monitor. But the games Native resolution is 900p. So if you hook your Xbox One to a 4K tv, thebtv will upscale the game to 4k but the resolution will still be at 900p.

For the PC version, you adjust the renderig resolution to 4k. It is not upscaled or otherwise adjusted to fit the resolution of the monitor.

So the PC Port is native 4k?

Yes, it is.

Thanks for the education

1 Like

As someone who plays both KI and Gears on PC. You guys playing on console are really going to like the resolution upgrade. I don’t know about gears but I’m pretty sure KI doesn’t even run at 1080p on console, so just getting to that will be a nice visual improvement.

KI is 900p on Xbox One… Vanilla and Xbox One S. I play on my PC as well, at 1080, and it’s nice but not astounding. Much more appealing to me are the load times. I like Gears 4 frame rate as well.

Okay, so here’s the thing about all this, and I’m curious to know.

In films, you are shooting the real life universe, whose “resolution” is on the atomic scale, but the sensor is on the pixel scale.

The human eye doesn’t even work on the atomic scale, and that’s the best camera on earth now.

So that means, no matter how detailed and refined the “real” world is, you will always be looking through a window that uses pixels, leaving out tons of information.

This is also true here, with one major, major difference.

The “world” in ki is created in the pixel scale as well as being shown through a “pixel window”.

If you match up the pixel window with the pixel world, you are seeing the native resolution.

So ki is native 900p instead of 1080p, and they do this as a clever little trick to be able to go up to 90fps, but only use those extra frames to keep the core game at 60frames. If frames are dropped from lag (or whatever) , they swap in an extra frame, and no one is the wiser… Well in season 2 anyways lol

Back to this 900p business.

Because the window is 1080p and the world is 900p, we’re not seeing the true resolution of the game world on our 1080hd tvs.

So xb1x comes along and does 4k, twice the size in either x or y axis from 1080p. That means it changes the window to 4k.

And here lies the big question.

Anyone watch a 360p YouTube video at a massive size? Looks okay on a cellphone, but looks like soup on a computer screen.

That’s because you’re looking at less information through a bigger window.

So is ig making, or made the game with 4k textures as back up (did they make the world 4k?) What is the resolution of the “world” in ki? You can’t simply upscale textures in the world, you have to repeal and replace lol

Let’s assume the textures live in a 1080 world in ki.

That means the xb1x would upscale everything to 4k, super sample, apply hdr and anti aliasing or whatever they said at the conference, then scale it back down to 1080p, while keeping it at 60fps.

What’s the real story here? What’s going on under the hood? Has ig been secretly retexturing the game (a behemoth task), or are we looking at something like a “good looking game filter” slapped on with the extra horsepower?

I’m thinking 4k is a MS buzzword that they’re pushing, and their first parties are obliged to play along… I don’t think Resolution is a big factor for ki, I think ig is approaching this way, and I don’t think the “wow” factor that Ms is pushing from it will be evident.

However,

Hdr is new (ish, and not a widely used thing) though, and I’m curious to see what this adds (not available in pc version, I don’t think), to ki’s visual fidelity (maybe that s03, relighting will be more apparent? That’d be cool). So there’s still visual reasons to be excited for ki in 4k on xb1x, just not really the reasons they’re pushing.

The textures don’t necessarily change as you change the resolution of the game, but it’s a little more complicated than that. Keeping in mind that I am not a programmer or graphic artist, and this is a layman’ explanation. Any texture rendered in 3D will have an optimum distance where the resolution of the texture matches the resolution of the display. No matter how good your textures are there’s usually a point where if you stick the camera up close to them theynstart to look pixelated. The magic is making sure the textures are high enough resolution that you won’t notice this under most gaming conditions and that they look sharp and clear. The resolution of rendering games is more about the geometry than the textures. The textures are less about processing power and more about memory. So you can theoretically have very high resolution games with lousy textures and low resolution games with very rich textures.

For KI the Xbox one renders the geometry for KI at 900p. Then the hardware “upscales” that to display at 1080p on monitors. This is somewhat blurrier than a native 1080p rendering. I can tell the difference on my PC - although it is not extreme or jarring. The PC version of KI can be rendered in 4K and the textures are appropriate for that display resolution - although I can’t tell you if they are higher resolution than the 1080p textures. As far as HDR, I’m not very familiar with the technology so I can’t really comment on it.

Hmm, this response makes me think I didn’t get my point across at all. Oh well.

I’ll try again:
IG made the 4K textures for the PC version last year. How much work this involved is unclear but it’s not a “good looking game filter.”

Yes, there is reason to expect the XboxOneX version will look even better with HDR.

1 Like

On January 4, 2016, the Ultra HD Alliance announced their certification requirements for a HDR display. The HDR display must have either a peak brightness of over 1000 cd/m2 and a black level less than 0.05 cd/m2 (a contrast ratio of at least 20,000:1) or a peak brightness of over 540 cd/m2 and a black level less than 0.0005 cd/m2 (a contrast ratio of at least 1,080,000:1). The two options allow for different types of HDR displays such as LCD and OLED.

High-dynamic-range imaging (HDRI) is a high dynamic range (HDR) technique used in imaging and photography to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity than is possible with standard digital imaging or photographic techniques. The aim is to present a similar range of luminance to that experienced through the human visual system. The human eye, through adaptation of the iris and other methods, adjusts constantly to adapt to a broad range of luminance present in the environment. The brain continuously interprets this information so that a viewer can see in a wide range of light conditions.

HDR images can represent a greater range of luminance levels than can be achieved using more ‘traditional’ methods, such as many real-world scenes containing very bright, direct sunlight to extreme shade, or very faint nebulae. This is often achieved by capturing and then combining several different, narrower range, exposures of the same subject matter.[1][2][3][4] Non-HDR cameras take photographs with a limited exposure range, referred to as LDR, resulting in the loss of detail in highlights or shadows.

The two primary types of HDR images are computer renderings and images resulting from merging multiple low-dynamic-range (LDR)[5] or standard-dynamic-range (SDR)[6] photographs. HDR images can also be acquired using special image sensors, such as an oversampled binary image sensor.

Due to the limitations of printing and display contrast, the extended luminosity range of an HDR image has to be compressed to be made visible. The method of rendering an HDR image to a standard monitor or printing device is called tone mapping. This method reduces the overall contrast of an HDR image to facilitate display on devices or printouts with lower dynamic range, and can be applied to produce images with preserved local contrast (or exaggerated for artistic effect).

HDR lenses are currently being developed by Ricoh-Imaging. Current applications include prototype lenses being trialed on the International Space Station. Further developments include consumer lenses for use in low-light conditions, such as night driving. These HDR lenses combine a laminate of borosilicate carbide and polarizing films to actively refine the intensity of various wavelengths of light, which results in a higher dynamic range image seen by the eye