Kan-Ra setups

I have a block string that no one else seems to be using. It gives a little over a shadow bar and is real easy.

After clutch, dash forward, M.scarab, L.scarab, (these will both hit 6 times, which is where most of the meter comes from), j.forward HP (for cross-up), standing HK, L.scarab.

I’ts not a true block string as there is a moment your opponent can jump or dp when you do your cross-up.

You can also change the standing HK, L.scarab into back HP, clutch and do it all over again.

Do you possibly have footage of this?

The first example is the block string if your opponent just decides to block.
After more testing I found that with better timing you will hit your opponent if they try to jump or dp when you cross-up, as shown on the second example.
The next two examples show what i try to do the most with this set-up which is to force something out of my opponent and punish them for it.

EDIT: After @JINXHAND pointed out gaps that especially Jago could capitalize on (God knows i hate that monk) i decided to go back to the lab and see if I could come up with anything that was a true block string and I came up with this.

4 Likes

There is potential in these setups. I do see some holes, especially ones a Jago could capitalize on. In the first setup, there is a gap right before that st.HK connects, so Jago could dp, and possibly combo if he has Instinct.

That second setup is nice! I would test to see if Jago can Shadow Wind Kick before the grab actually connects though, just to be sure.

Your setup inspired me to look a little more into the swarm move:
Swarm hits 3 times as a strike move and 5 times as a projectile.
Projectile swarm only comes out if strike swarm doesn’t hit.
Strike swarm pushes back, projectile swarm sucks in.
Strike swarm is -1 (H), -2 (M), or -3 (L), while projectile swarm is + a bazillion but with longer startup.

So how do you get out a projectile swarm that gets blocked?
You can do it meaty on wake up like in the @xKappaMan setup video OR you do a slightly out of range swarm.
Go into training mode and turn on the hitboxes. Do a swarm and you will see a green hitbox that makes a small jump forward into another hitbox. You gotta find that sweet spot between the edges of those 2 hitboxes. Now go next to your dummy and slightly wiff the swarm attack. The projectile swarm will hit. You can also cancel normals like cr.MK into swarm. If you do it from a certain distance the projectile swarm will come out. I know that this happens a lot in your fights but at least on my end I never did this on purpose.
As I said, projectile swarm is highly advantage on block, but you will never get a true block string because the startup is also huge. But I am pretty sure I will find some nice stuff in the lab with it.

Gonna make a video tomorrow.

1 Like

And people say Ra is low tier XD

ground projectile swarm is at least +36 on block and I am not even kidding.

I was able to do l.swarm, wiff st.LK (21frames total) and still hit st.HP (hits on frame 15) for a true block string.

ground projectile st.L swarm hits on frame 31 (18 frames startup + 5 frames strike hitbox + 7 frames pause)
(in detail: 18 frames startup, 1 active frame, 1 frame pause, 1 active frame, 1 frame pause, 1 active frame, 7 frames pause, xx projectile active frames)

I have made a video using the concept of the projectile swarm in a block string.
https://youtu.be/NVC89aTrd2E
you have to move forward slightly between the projectile swarm hits and the cr.MK xx L.swarm

You gotta be careful because crouching hitboxes are different to standing hitboxes. In case the blocking Kan-Ra stood up after cr.MK, the projectile swarm would wiff completely.

PS:
If you have trouble finding the right position, get as close to the standing dummy as possible (mid screen) and press st.MK 3 times on block. Now do a l.swarm and the dummy should block a projectile swarm.
You can also do st.MK, st.MK, cr.MK xx L.swarm

PSS:
I only just found out, that ground and air swarms have different frame data. I am stupid. Air swarms behave similiar to ground swarms. whenever you jump in with a swarm strike attack it depends on the hight whether you can follow up on the ground with your combo or not. It also depends on the button you are following up with. BUT if you hit with the projectile hitbox you can follow up with whatever move you like.

2 Likes

Building off of this, I was able to wiff st.LP (26frames total) and still st.HP. The timing is very tight and I sometimes don’t get the true block string but still snuff shadow wind kick.

1 Like

Are you sure it is a true block string after wiffing St.LP? So we are at least +41 on block.

Yes, though it is inconsistent. Sometime i get the true block string, sometimes I snuff shadow moves and sometimes I get hit. Though I’m pretty sure me getting hit or snuffing a shadow is me losing a frame or two hitting pause to turn on playback for the dummy.

2 Likes

So we’re looking at a 1-2 frame link between whiffed st.LP to st.HP? The sooner this is found, the more consistent the timing can be, increasing the likelihood of nailing this in an actual match.

Also, for the cr.MK ~ swarm blockstring, does this work against characters like Jago and Fulgore? The first thing that comes to my mind is DP, or Instinct to DP.

projectile L.swarm, st.LP, st.HP was only an example to show what is possible. There are way better things you can do when being at least +41.

While cr.MK xx strike L.swarm is a true block string, xx projectile L.swarm is not. So yes, Jago can DP you.
The questions are,
what happens when Jago presses a normal button?
Does this cancel frame trap?
Does his DP even hit, because it might be out of range?

I haven’t tested those things yet.
But you guys can help me.
Record the dummy to walk as close to you as possible. Than let him do st.MK, st.MK, cr.MK xx l.swarm.
See what you can sneak in between cr.MK and l.swarm. Also see what happens when you stand up after cr.MK.
I might find some time at the weekend to test this stuff.

I just realized my dummy setups are character specific sigh

Yep. You got to test it as much as possible.

I tested it vs crouching jago.
cr.MK xx projectile L swarm beats:

all normals except cr.MP and St.MP,
all special moves except medium and hard dragon punch
j.forward

Not sure about shadow moves, but it should lose to sh.dp and sh.wind kick

All this needs further testing. I am not 100% sure on my tests

I also tested vs Jago and got the exact same results, so i guess they’re pretty accurate.

1 Like

I think I may have found a possible bug regarding scarabs. If you use any scarab as close as possible to the dummy, you hit the breath portion and see the projectile portion behind the dummy.

I found that if while you are hitting the breath portion of the ability something else hits the dummy and moves him, the projectile scarab still comes out.

Here is the best I could do at displaying the bug.

2 Likes

I just found some new tech.

EDIT:
Look below. Had some mistakes in this post so I deleted it.

1 Like

I actually already knew about this and have been able to do this vs Mira, though it requires specific timing. Rarely ever use it though as I tend to miss to often.

Okay, so what’s the trick for doing it vs Mira?