Kan-Ra setups

wait… You can instinct cancel a SC? I play KI since day 1 and I didn’t know that…

EDIT:
Are you talking about instinct cancelling the parry pose or the shadow move after the SC?

I’m talking about SC-ing, then literally as soon as the first attack after the SC starts up, cancel with Instinct.

I’m not sure what the startup and cancel windows look like for each event, as I haven’t had the opportunity to test this out yet, so it’s all theory atm… I’ll test it out tonight and update this post…

okay, but why not just let the SC rock? What’s the point in instinct canceling it?

If this blockstring has potential gaps, there’s a possibility to capitalize on it to either escape, or to utilize a move with several frames of invincibility. That’s the direction I’m going with this theory.

Also, if there’s a chance that the SC will get interrupted with either cr.MK or the Shadow Sandtrap stinger, the opponent is going to want to have a means of avoiding both attacks, and not waste the use of meter.

How much chip damage does this blockstring do?

There are no gaps. I tested it. You can hold down forward and you won’t get hit because you are auto blocking everything due to infinite block stun. You can only “escape” it by standing up and getting hit by cr.MK or SC. You can mash DP as hard as you want, it won’t work.

EDIT:
Let me be clear,
In that setup above there is a gap between the Instinct cancel and the j.HP. That part is escapeable by a DP or something. As soon as the j.HP hits the block they are caught in the infinite.

EDIT: List updated, will finish later…

So, I’m going to list some theoretical options for dealing with this, mainly as a means of figuring out what else Kan can do when trying to apply this setup. Keep in mind, I’m only referring to this gap between the Instinct, and j.HP. I honestly think that most of the options are going to cost meter. Feel free to debunk anything mentioned here:

• Everyone

• Take the hit/combo, and guess correctly to CB
    • Block the first hit in j.HP, Shadow Counter (might trade)
  • Jago

• DP
    • Shadow Wind Kick (initial frames of invincibility could help)
  • Orchid

• DP
    • Firecat (?)
  • Sabrewulf

• Shadow Eclipse (might trade)
    • Shadow Feral Lunge (not sure of the move name, invincibility could work)
  • Spinal

• Teleport
    • b+LP (shield is probably the best in this situation)
  • Sadira

• ???
  • Glacius

• Puddle
    • Pop Instinct, and do whatever afterwards, maybe puddle punch
  • Fulgore

• DP
    • Teleport (initial frames might not make this work)
  • Aria

• DP
  • Aganos

• Have chunks already
    • Shadow Ruin
    • Shadow Natural Disaster
  • Cinder

• Flash Kick
    • Shadow Trailblazer
  • Hisako

• command grab?

• Maya

• Shadow DP? (might actually trade)
  • TJ Combo

• Roll
    • Shadow TK
    • Shadow Powerline
  • Thunder

• Shadow Triplax (there’s built in armor in this move iirc)

• DP

• Instinct into dash or DP

• Rash

• Shadow Boot
    • Shadow Ram attack (?)
  • Kim Wu

• Shadow Dragon Kick

I’ll continue to update this later…

1 Like

It seems like most characters with a good DP can get out of this… Still testing out.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that while doing Shadow Spike, even though on hit it combos, on block there’s still a gap between the last sand hit and the scorpion stinger hit. So in theory, there’s a chance for an opponent to do something to counter, but I haven’t looked at the frame data, nor have I tested any of this out.

I do know that some opponents have countered my rushdown while Shadow Spike was activated. So, if anything, trying to cover up the gap between those two hits maybe something to look at.

I would personally try this setup from a distance where cr.MP would safely hit, and I could cancel into Shadow Spike, then go into Instinct and sand dash while doing j.HP. That would be more optimal for this setup imo.

I think you’re right because I’ve noticed that when I use Shadow Spike up close they’re able to still jab at me in between the actual spike and the scorpion stinger when they block. So it feels like a waste of shadow because even with just a weak jab my Shadow Spike it completely gone.

I need to watch my replays to verify this. I have been playing more Thunder than Kan Ra recently.

I’ve been DP’d out of attacking before, I clearly remember some of those matches come to think of it…

I haven’t tested as to whether or not this happens only up close or if this happens regardless of range. Either way, I do plan to find out soon.

1 Like

Yes, shadow spike is unsafe on block. That’s why you need a setup. Or a hit.

I found that after a landed clutch, you can go for a juggle light clutch or a juggle medium clutch unless you scoot forward (in which case you can only do a light clutch). I still use flip out a ton with Kan Ra.

I would say that vs certain characters, it’s safe at a specific range. I would never try to use this up close anymore, unless I could cancel with Instinct. I’m sure against characters like Maya, Shadow Spike at the right distance would leave her with no options to retaliate. Characters like Jago, Shago, Cinder, or Kim Wu even can punish this move from almost max range.

I use alot of cr.LP flipouts after Spike ender. It helps me setup Shadow Spike + j.MK mixups.

clutch, m.spike, cr.LP xx clutch works, when you move forward during clutch.

Took a couple setups from Fubuki. Found these on CStyles Twitch and uploaded them to my channel. Hope CStyles don’t mind. Anyways, he’s got some interesting setups that I’m sure some of you guys could add to.

4 Likes

That aiden_pierce77 mixup though!!! lol j/k

I like how he used j.LP into air Scarab during the dash, and continued the mixup afterwards.

st.MK is +5 on hit and +2 on block
It links into st.LK (tight 1 frame link)

If you like some counter hits go for:

j.Attack, st.MK, st.LK xx whirl
This is a safe counter hit block string.

1 Like

We should probably compile a list of general setups either based on range and/or attack (i.e. - st.LP, j.HP, etc) for easy access… @lHagenl is there anyway you could copy/paste some to the first or second post?

I have new tech for you guys need to start uploading them to my youtube account

I will do that as soon as I can. Good idead

I am looking forward to this.