Just a thought and critic

It does make me want to revisit the Thunder discussion a bit. I was in vague agreement with you when the impression I took away was that not being required to spend meter on wakeup made Thunder’s neutral and pressure games too potent in a way that threatened game balance. I understand less well this idea that the spare meter makes Thunder’s meter-dependent strategies dominate other lines.

I mean, I can make a few guesses: (1) always having meter on board for shadow CotE means regular CotE rarely gets used, and shadow CotE encroaches on the territory of other non-grab neutral tools as well due to the sheer combination of speed and reach; (2) Thunder isn’t as worried about favoring mixup options which result in grounded combos because he can always cash out juggles for big damage as well, which makes the risk-reward on his mixup options more uniform and makes his mixups harder to defend against in some theoretical sense; (3) meter management decisions spanning different scenarios adds a layer of non-locality to a character’s decision making, so Thunder not having to worry about this as much in general makes him less thoughtful; (4) regulating good tools in multiple scenarios via meter management allows the character to be capable of excelling any of multiple areas whilst not excelling in all of those areas at the same time.

But if all this uniform power and thoughtless play provided by meterless DP comes together to make Thunder so strong that he’s on the verge of contending with Jago, then iuno… I guess it almost sounds like the character needs buffs. I mean, if you want to take away the meterless reversal, then you need to give him something else so that he can contend with Jago whilst making him a more thoughtful character across situations, unless you can convince me that due to some anomaly, balance across the entire roster calls for comparisons to Jago to be downplayed. Or alternatively, maybe it’s best to leave Thunder degenerate and thoughtless and, notably, competitively viable? :confused:

Sorry, some of this may seem a bit rash or poorly thought out.

That doesn’t sound outlandish. I’ve always believed in the wind kick and the plus frames and such too, I thought he was weirdly underrated in season 2.

I guess one part of my surprise is that I don’t think the dust has settled on the rebalance yet. Competitive players are far from tapping the full potential of most characters, and often express lopsided and…emotionally charged opinions on matchups. I didn’t really think a top 1 or 2 stood out amidst the fuss. (I’m still not sure of it now either.)

I think this is kinda necessary. Jago has all the plus frames, but he doesn’t put you into a 5-way mixup blender like many other characters routinely do, so patient defense usually does well against his pressure.

lol, this is part of it. I’ve been dragged into some dumb and, on an occasion or two, abusive arguments about this sort of thing, so it’s a bit of a shock to have a reasonable discussion on the subject. :stuck_out_tongue:

DPing out of overpower blockstun is very doable, I just think the amount of times a Wulf does meaty crLK into crLK after a soft knockdown and eats a DP on the second crLK is close to none.

I already remarked that this would push me away from KI. It’s a matter of punishable wind kick making KI a fundamentally different video game that I’d be less interested in playing. It’s the sort of reason why I sympathized with Wulf players losing unreactable jumping slash, except that I think punishable wind kick would be substantially more dramatic.

But also, I think it’s worth pointing out that the low crush property of the move is the wrong aspect to focus on. Low crush does give it secondary utility up close and allow it to tag out attempts to dash in with a low poke, but the primary function of wind kick is to create a big incentive for opponents at the midrange to make a habit of pre-emptively blocking, which means it exerts control over the space two-or-so character lengths in front of Jago.

The difference to me is that Fulgure really does have great tools for each situation. He can phase oppressive zoning into scary rushdown at a heartbeat, either via some very Jago-like tools (blade dash, axis smash) or with the projectile teleport setplay grinder, and the things he can do with meter (pip cancels, shadow teleport and lasers) allow him to clutch out all sorts of wacky situations with one-step-ahead checkmate thinking. You can be getting zoned at full screen (a thing Jago does not do seriously) and whilst it may clearly be your gameplan to get in, your reward for getting in is a fight against a competent rushdown character with access to a meterless DP, so coming out on top is rewarded with more adversity.

Hell I’m starting to think the laser frame data nerfs weren’t as big of a deal as I initially thought, because he can convert counterhits on reaction off plenty of his plus normals and he can pip-cancel his lasers and fireballs for frame traps.

By-the-by, none of this is to say that Fulgore is too strong. The character has meter management issues. But I think the comparison to Jago without damage undersells the character immensely.

On a related note but really because I want to vent, I sat through a stream of a top player (not Nicky) underselling Fulgore’s strengths as being a product of his own skill whilst complaining erratically about Jago’s stupid damage and un-whiff-punishable MP and a bunch of other inane nonsense. Bluh, it’s the sort of toxicity going on around this stuff that makes it so hard to have these conversations of late.

I’m actually surprised that you don’t name Thunder here.

I don’t like this as an argument. It allows people to say that a tool that’s too strong when used at its peak is okay because the people who are able to get the most out of it are really winning because of their immense skill, and that the tool isn’t out of line. Alternatively, it allows R- er, certain people, to assert that a character is strong relative to the one they’re using, because the strengths of said player’s character are really said player’s skill shining through, whereas shadow fireball, fireball xx shadow DP is dumb unbreakable damage that the player doesn’t have to work for.

I think a good thing about this situation as it stands, is that there really is a good incentive for Jago to just go for the damage here instead, and the decision requires good situational awareness.

2 Likes

Just want to be clear in some points:
-IMO Jago its ok, I’m not suggesting a damage nerf, I only state that I would never touch his frame data, I would go first to his damage (which IMO is OK)
-Of course Fulgore has more “every scenario” tools. What I mean is Jago is really good in many areas, and he has no major weakness (bad meter gainance, bad reversals, unsafe…)
-IMO Fulgore its fine as he is. My suggestions on him would be very specific(like reseting his shadow loading bar and not only a pip if Gargos steals meter from him)

thanks for the response , well i dont main any characters that easily deal with gargos minions, so from my point of view his minions need serious tweaking. i feel matchups that gargos wins he wins by alot . an example in my opinion is saberwulf,i think that matchup is atleast 7-3 at high level. i think like u said abt jago the matchups he might loose he looses very slightly but i also think that is the case in the matchups he wins. but fulgore on the other i feel looses no matchup and wins by a large margin alot of matchups. an example would be gargos who can be hard for jago to catch and deal with his minions… fulgore has no such problem catching gargos and keeping him locked down as well as dealing with his minions. so overall yeah i think jago very strong right now but in a matchup chart i dont see how he isnt clearly below fulgore

Gargos has to make low damage, annoyance-based decisions to desperately keep the opponent out until he has meter for minions. His defense both on wakeup and in midrange is poor. Even in matchups where he’s good at keeping the opponent out, getting knocked down is really, really bad for him. Basically gargos is like a C-tier character at best with two S-tier characters he can break out when he gets a knockdown. Compared to an extremely stable character like jago, I know which one I’d say is better.

I think fulgore and jago are just about on par with each other. Fulgore has more options, jago needs fewer good decisions to win because the damage difference between the two is massive.

Wulf’s shadow counter doesn’t recapture, unless there’s some way I’m not aware of to choose a different move to come out when you do a shadow counter.

Nerfing his instinct like that would be really lame. It would mean nobody would ever use instinct fireballs in neutral anymore because you’d be burning off potential health gain.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. Might as well use the extra plus frames on instinct if using fireballs reduce the time it’s active

~17 percent on counter hit DP is a bit much, that’s all I’ll say needs to be toned down.

Consider that a relatively breaker-safe punish will average around 25%. It doesn’t create the same risk/reward balance of DP’s in other games. It can be legitimately terrifying to press buttons against a Jago even when he’s -3

And it’s safe if he has a bar of meter and you don’t. This honestly wouldn’t be too crazy if he didn’t out-meter-build most of the cast. Even with the meter nerf to fireball.

The reward of getting out of pressure is already really good. Just make the damage sensible.

As for Sabrewulf. Jago still loses hard in the footsies match of this game. So it’s not a super bad MU honestly. Wulf’s b+s.HP outranged all of Jago’s pokes, and Wulf’s AA’s should make Jago terrified to jump.

If you find yourself blocking double roundhouse, starting poking more aggressively because not only does b+s.HP outrange it, but CR. HP high crushes it.

Eh, I kind of understand what you’re going for here, but it’s probably my fault for expressing my opinion incorrectly or with misleading words.

Basically, I think Thunder is very strong (easily in the top 5 right now), and can definitely do more than be “on the verge of contending with Jago”. My thought of Jago as the best character in the game is by a very thin margin… he’s just maybe slightly better at some of the things I personally value in a fighting game character (strong neutral game control, ability to win without taking huge risks); these are the things I constantly see the best players in all 2D fighting games make use of to win huge tournaments, so I feel like he is quite stable. Thunder on the other hand, in his current form, is also very strong but in a bit less stable way. He relies on overwhelming you with mixups that, in theory, can be avoided and punished, but in practice probably not. This is in contrast to Jago, whose main mixup tool is strong frame traps into throw, and a safe overhead. Without strong shadow counter reactions, Jago just kinda slowly opens you up, while Thunder sets the TnT under you and sometimes blows himself up too.

Both are strong, but because I think Jago is more stable, he is maybe slightly better? But I dunno, Thunder is way up there too, for me. I would fully support Thunder losing a bit of his wild TnT side (just the reversal, really), just because I think he actually is capable of pretty strong neutral game control and I’d like to see more of it. Sprinkle in a bit of that Thunder flair with flipouts and dash command grab (the risky stuff that has theoretical but impractical counters) but don’t give him the entire warehouse full of explosives.

I agree the community is emotional when it comes to characters in this game. There are lots of counters to stuff that we are either unwilling or too lazy to figure out. It’s easier to just meme it away while shouting at the person next to you. I still think, with careful analysis and a level head, it’s possible to make reasonable deductions about the strength of characters though.

Eh… correct, he doesn’t have super potent grab mixups and he can’t do cross under overhead/low stuff, but that overhead is no joke IMO. Fast, very far range, and basically safe with cancels of various types (wind kick from max distance, laser sword for plus frames from in between, and fireball release/fireball dash cancel for trickiness). It comes back to Jago just being very solid; he has one primary mixup tool but it serves him extremely well, and I think not getting hit by overhead long term is very difficult. It also helps that Jago’s control over the neutral (ie, ways you might try to escape being in range of overhead) is incredibly strong, so he will catch people just flinching, and jumping is very dangerous against his high damage DP.

It’s not so much that once he gets close to you he puts you in the blender, but rather he just makes it very hard to be anywhere half screen or closer without being at serious risk of eating damage.

Yeah, I should have. Slipped my mind at the time, but he is definitely way, way up there for defense. I might have to rethink my opinion on Jago having the best defense (though that high damage DP really is the ticket for Jago). Thunder’s unpredictability and “am I mixing him up or is he mixing me up?” feeling when you knock him down is incredibly strong, though.

2 Likes

Having been trying to get Kan-Ra’s ranked achievement and seemingly hitting the wall of Jagos, I can safely say that you might as well not fight any bad Jago player or any good one for that matter. This is partly a cry for help regarding the MU, but thought I’d throw it out here in case I’m missing options etc against him. Jago’s primary problem is that he has too good a jump Also, when I release a swarm with Kan-Ra, the projectile is blatently ignored by Jago’s windkick (Not the shadow version).

Any help on how to stop Jago’s from jumping from Jago players (as I have other achievements to get that won’t involve Kan-Ra) would be much appreciated as I agree with the op’s theory that Jago needs to be toned down.