Is Raam A Finished Character? Disappointing Launch....(Impressions)

The thing about RAAM is that he isn’t the kind of character that’s constantly trying to start a combo. You’re not going to try and play footsies and keeping the distance either. Your goal as a grappler is to get in and grab. His combos are really strong too so the payoff is that it’s a little easier to tell than others what to break.

His OTG allows for mixup potential with his grabs and combo breaking variety. Is he going to flipout or is he going to groundbounce and potentially flipout afterwards or go for more groundbounces? Not only that, is he going to do it at all?

Making it a hard knockdown just leaves more stomp potential than he already needs.

He’s fine. It’s only been a day. Let the character live a little.

5 Likes

Projectiles can still keep him out. I was fighting Gargos as RAAM and could hardly make it to them. Even if I Armour the protal punch, they would just jump before I could make it to them.

That is my main gripe with the Kryll Rush, if someone jumps back to dodge, he tries to grab where the character was instead of continuing to run forward.

Just get some meter and if he jumps,cancel into kryll shield.

Kryll shield doesn’t do anything if they are jumping away from me.
ie: Kryll rush towards Jago, at last second Jago jumps backward away, RAAM grabs at the air and Jago launches forward with a wind kick to his face.

But if he windkicks,do the shield,take it,and then do the counter hit.

Fair enough, it just feels odd that RAAM stops to grab at nothing when any logical reasoning would see him keep running forward.

2 Likes

His gameplan seems pretty well realized to me, actually. I guess you can debate about aesthetic things if you want (I can already see a “raam doesn’t drool enough” thread reaching 500 posts), but as a character he seems like he has a very effective gameplan.

When you guys see his 2f shadow command grab punishing all your approaches, ticks into super fast light command grab, smart uses of armor in footsies (see Tusk do st.HP or Glacius do shatter? Just FADC forward and get a free punish), instinct setups that will make you cry, etc… I dunno, I think people will think this character is too good in a month.

He will probably lose to some really hardcore zoning, though, as all pure grapplers tend to do. And pure grapplers are a very specific niche that doesn’t appeal to everyone, so it’s possible you won’t enjoy playing as Raam at all. Especially if you’ve never tried to learn a grappler in a SF game at a high level before.

But hey what do I know.

8 Likes

Never played a true grappler before and I love him. Once you get in, it’s just mix-up city. Most fun I’ve had with a character since Riptor.

I’ve had some problems versus Jago and Fulgore, but if they mess up, I’m in.

I was actually thinking something similar. After I was testing him out and saw the speed on command grabs, the armor and the Instinct, I couldn’t help but think “well that’ll be a nerf thread in just about a week”.

Edit: Not that I agree with hypothetical nerfs, I was just saying I could see certain people in this community not being able to handle it.

As I said, anyone who can zone with normal attacks. Unless the armor puts them in a state where he can catch them, he can’t close in fast enough.

I’m actually dissapointed that he’s a character in the game. Played all Gears of War games and I don’t even remember who this guy is.

Would’ve rather had a Marcus or any other COG.

How could you play them all and not remember him? Main villain of the first game? Mentioned several times in the second. Had his own playable campaign in the third. Not to mention he’s the most popular character on the locusts team so if you play multiplayer running into five raams is not uncommon.

5 Likes

Playable campaign in the third? Now that’s news for me … is it DLC? Whatever the case, I would’ve preferred a Carmine or something :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t been much into the Gears games & I honestly didn’t really remember him either. I only played the first game’s campaign when it first came out and haven’t really touched the series since.

1 Like

If you played Gears one and don’t remember this guy you were smoking a lot of weed…

I will echo the sentiment already more artfully expressed by others. The idea that any of you know ■■■■ all about Raam at this point, let alone enough to start complaining like this is nuts.

3 Likes

Remember Aganos? How bad we all thought he was at the start?

Hahahaha…ha…

sigh

8 Likes

I don’t know. I think IG nailed his look and “personality”. I can’t think of any other way to make him more legit.

3 Likes

Never touched the stuff…

But for me I only played through the campaign once like…what…10 years ago? And honestly I didn’t think much about it…I know a lot of people like the game, but honestly it’s not my cup of tea.

…and it’s not like I don’t have a good memory either. I still remember the membership no. to my old Nintendo Power subscription: 10838331-6…& I haven’t used that in years.

But honestly, he’s a drab gray monster in a drab gray world leading a bunch of other drab gray monsters with only a slight variance in drab gray armor styles. It’s not hard to see how someone that doesn’t keep up with Gears would forget him.

5 Likes

Lol reading that last paragraph all I could hear was this but in s deep dramatic voice.

“In a drab grey world full of drab grey monsters wearing drab grey armor is one drab grey monster that’s different from the rest and he will lead his drab grey troops to a drab grey victory”

4 Likes