Improvments to Kan-Ra

This shows that the hitbox for scarabs is pretty small, you can see that a good portion of the opponent’s body is in the scarabs and can stand pretty close without taking damage.

Hitboxes are your friend dude.

4 Likes

This one seems kind of off don’t ya think? you can be pretty close to these scarabs and characters can just easily swat/poke them away, I’m just suggesting maybe a bit of a bigger hitbox on them?

Dude. What I’m saying is that you can literally TURN THE HITBOXES ON and see for yourself :joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Characters are kinda deceptive, heh. Fulgore has a wide stance that betrays the actual box where you can hurt him. So his model can be right on the edge of the FX of the scarabs and look like he’s basically inside of it. To look at it a different way, say you walked right up onto a character to where you overlap actually? The point where you can’t walk anymore is where your two boxes are colliding. And they’re usually well within the frame of a character.

Far as the size of the scarab projectile, it certainly doesn’t need to be any bigger in my opinion. I think it’r probably comparable to most fireballs in the game as far as its hitbox size.

compared to other projectiles though these are ones you can easily swat away.

Well they linger in place, can be placed at various heights and can have more then 1 of them at a time.

True, but specials just eat through it and it takes time to set up.

1 Like

Is kan-ra not a setup character anyway?

2 Likes

Just saw that video for the first time. Don’t know why I missed it.

Great video. Shows a lot of stuff that needs to be addressed. I use some work around tech for dealing with many of his combo problems but a straight fix would be better of course.

Oh and don’t ever use back+MP to manual. It’s the worst manual in the game for many reasons.

1 Like

He is, I’m just trying to point out that if it’s even worth it sometimes to try if they get stuffed out a lot of the times as soon as they are set up.

Every time they are hitting a swarm to destroy it, they aren’t blocking. You gotta keep that in mind. Always

1 Like

hard if all they use is quick lights…idk maybe its harder because I use pad…also is anybody getting some weird moments where crouching opponents can dodge clutch or grab? Furthermore, I’ve been thinking since people wanted some fear back for Kan-Ra what if they gave him the crazy damage he had, in S2 I believe, for a normal outright shadow clutch but when doing a combo he can have the season 3 clutch? I mean Kim Wu follows that same line with her shadow dragon kick and maybe increase the damage on those well timed AA clutch reads? and I’d really like to see them do something to that curse of Kan-Ra’s where he gives a pretty good sized chunk of potential damage if he catches them with sacrifice while they are cursed

It’s not something that you can react to. You gotta make a read. You have to anticipate that they are going to punch the swarm. Ra is all about reads.

I like to do mid air swarms. Some players do a jumping attack to get rid of them. That’s when you catch them with cr.MP xx spike while they are landing.

You gotta put your opponent in situations that you can anticipate. That’s why you need a strategy for every single match up.

I’m not going to pretend to be a Kan Ra expert (or any kind of expert for that matter), so if anything I say here is pure garbage, and it very easily could be, then my apologies.

I really enjoyed using him in season 2, but haven’t used him as much in season 3 because it feels like I have to work so hard to do so little reward, and keeping the opponent out feels harder, which is totally fine and honestly expected, but there doesn’t seem to be as much to offset this. I get that this is how he’s supposed to be, but it still got kinda old after a while.

Still, I prefer to throw out suggestions rather than just complain, so again, if these are terrible, I totally understand and defer to the expertise of others in this thread:

I really enjoy his new shadow spike, but I’d love it if they could somehow also bring back the old one as well. Not sure how that would work though, as I don’t think I’m that in to the idea of a “tap or hold” scenario suggested earlier.

Maybe instead of pressing d/f KK to do the current shadow spike, you press down, down KK for it, and they put the old shadow spike back in as it was before; d/f KK?

Or perhaps they give him a new special move whereby pressing toward, toward LK, MK or HK does his regular heavy kick, but it creates one, two or three spikes in the pattern of the shadow version that travel at varying speeds toward the opponent, pushing them back by varying amounts on hit or block, at varying speeds with varying recovery depending on the button?

This way if he’s already put sand down, he has something that can use to both push the opponent out, but also maneuver them toward his trap. Perhaps if a trap is down, he can combo off of this move using antlion? Maybe the shadow version could be his old shadow spike that pushes them full screen and is also an ender.

I’m probably way off here, but on a different note, I think it’d also be cool if, in addition to his blue curse that seems to give opponents a higher, slower jump, he also had a red curse that drastically sped up the opponent’s jump speed and perhaps slightly lowered how high they can jump.

This could make his scarabs far more threatening for the duration of the curse, though maybe to compensate, it doesn’t last as long as the blue curse. Plus, if he doesn’t have sand on the ground or scarabs in the air or a lot of space between him and the opponent, they can get in on him super quickly, so it could be a double edged sword.

I’d also love it if he had a green curse that cut the opponents damage output drastically, so for a while, they’re on a lower level than he is, damage-wise.

I dunno, I always thought it’d be cool if he had different kinds of curses instead of just the one. Maybe cursing the opponent would give him one of these three randomly? That’s probably too much stuff for a character that already has a lot of stuff. But just throwing the idea out there.

I’d also love it if a few of his moves did a little more damage, not a lot, but a little. Stuff like whirl and shadow whirl that might encourage using the combo system a bit more and thus upping his combo damage slightly, even if it might have to scale a bit on recapture.

It’d also be nice if his scarabs did a bit more potential damage as was suggested above.

Anyways, that’s all just wishful thinking on my part, as I don’t have the difficult task of balancing this awesome, unique character.

He’s still one of my favorites and I think he’s also one of the coolest character designs in a fighting game that I’ve seen in the last decade. But I’d really like to see IG find a way to make him more of a threat that balances with the rest of the cast without being considered too obnoxious or off-putting (that probably means sticking with the one curse lol).

I still love using Kan Ra as it feels really good to win with him despite his hinderances now from S2 to S3. I’m not winning as much with him than I was in S2 but I still feel he is one of the more interesting characters in the game.

I think I have a decent number of set ups (especially off of swarm ender) that if I can just get the ball rolling and get enough momentum I’ll sometimes win a game or two against good players before they start to figure out my bs.

I agree that using mid air swarms is a good play especially where you get in in the spot just above where a standing hit won’t reach and they have to jump for it. Some players don’t really know how to react to it and get hit with the swarm a good percentage of the time.

2 Likes

We’ve mentioned the alternate inputs for Shadow Spike as well as getting S2 damage back for clutch. I do believe with Kan being under the radar, we should expect some great changes that make him fearful to fight again.

I wouldn’t mind him doing S2 damage in instinct. You DO have to work harder to get that meter more so than other characters and AFAIK the whole cast can out damage him, even Sadira, who is essentially a setup based character (just in a different sense).

I really hope so, Kan-Ra was a force to be reckoned with, now he’s basically the scarabs themselves, lots of hits, itty-bitty damage, and can sometimes easily be swatted away like nothing. I have hopes for Kan-Ra in the upcoming updates but won’t expect much.

I’ve noticed at some points where Kan-Ra’s c.MK into clutch doesn’t always work; mostly find it to be successful on block but not so much when hit confirmed…maybe something that should be fixed? also, anybody else pretty disappointed that Kan-Ra is most likely not getting an ultimate considering how many nerfs he’s got to him since S2? I also believe they should make the sand from sand punt after instinct appear because I’ve set up combos where I would sand punt, activate instinct, and try to recapture them with an antlion but can’t because the sand pile hasn’t fully formed, basically canceling the sand punt

Clutch is a command grab. It won’t connect if your opponent is in hitstun or blockstun.

c.MK’s hitstun is probably too long for clutch to connect if the normal hits. On the other hand its blockstun is short enough that it works as a tick grab. Doesn’t need to be fixed, I’d say it’s very much supposed to work like that.

What does need to get fixed, and almost certainly is getting fixed, is the amount of PD sandsplosion creates. It’s too much, since the recent changes to the PD system. Other than that, I’d say Kan is in a good place right now, IMO.

1 Like