Improvments to Kan-Ra

I can 100% agree with you on this @FREEKYJASON! This would make prefect sense actually…

Yea I do agree that Kan-Ra has to stick to all the decisions he makes we used to be able to cancel some stuff into shadow scarab but now thats not possible. I am not for a ton of canceling things to be safe in general but some characters definitely can take more advantage of this than others. Also sometimes the new shadow scarab when used up close hits one time and doesnt combo and the ball never comes out that might need looked into. May post some bugs this weekend.

2 Likes

Have we discussed his normals are cancelable on block and hit when in instinct, though I cant get a ton of effectiveness out of this. Also, what about the idea to cancel like in instinct when on sand? Might be op, dunno yet.

I agree also to the shadow scrab bug. Sometimes shadow scrab does not completely form, meaning it will hit the opponent 2 or maybe 3 times instead of 5 hits and kanra doesnt get his shadow move, the scrab will not form into a project.

Also I think shadow swarm should increase form 5% to 10%. 5% is not another damage for a cost of 1 meter imo, which doesn’t Function properly half the time in game.

Shadow swarm changed from a very good offensive move to a pure defensive one. It’s even emphazised due to the increased time it’s on the field. It’s there to give you room to breath.

Yea I was thinking the same it now allows you to go for more risky command grabs with some cover gonna take that to the lab and see what i can come up with. I would prefer it to not get a damage increase because they might want to lower the time its out and I dont want that at all. Man do I really miss scarabs hitting 6 hits instead of 5 the extra time to react was amazing. Over all I really like where Kan-Ra is overall just some bug fixes are needed. Really though I think he will still struggle at high level as @F3Sleep says.

2 Likes

All normals are cancel able on block or hit for all characters im pretty sure. But I do like the idea of canceling normals when on sand, always made sense to me and I wondered why it wasnt like that always. but yea maybe it was too good

1 Like

He has the big jump thingy. Like. Where he launches himself. Its only possible when in instinct.

people use it so rarely though. I found a cool set up where you can flip people out off of the bounce from the caommand granb. Only issue is, its super easy to break.

Its possible outside of Instinct if you have sand under you, right?

No but I wish that it was possible if you were standing on sand but might be too powerful

No, you don’t have to have sand under you at all while in instinct. The jump cancel is only possible when inside of instinct . Excuse me for my VERY poor explanation as to what i was referring to.

Kan Ra has a “super jump cancel” as i would call it. His “Sand Launch” it might be called? I’m just spitballing with names. When outside of instinct, you can only use this jump when standing on top of sand, but it is not cancelable. What some people dont know is his ability to cancel into this jump when in instinct. ONLY when in instinct can you cancel into this.
To calrify further, this jump ability can be used when you have sand underneath you, BUT is not cancelable. You Cannot Cancel into this move unless you are in instinct, and when in instinct, you DONT need a sand trap under you to use.
Does that clear things up? sorry for my bad explanation skills.
Feeling under the weather.

1 Like

Excuse me for misunderstanding what exactly you were referring to. I thought it was just about the jump, not the cancel part.

Nono, my bad, I didnt clarify. You’re in the right, not like you could read my mind lol.

Does anybody else believe Kan-Ra should maybe have a bigger hitbox on whirl to cover his head and or cover his feet? I think I would maybe help with recaptures on jump-ins and prevent starts of some combos with hard hitting characters like Jago that can manage to do a jumping neutral attack into a C.M. kick even on block. Also maybe to reiterate the idea of Ra being able to deal more damage if he actually manages to snipe somebody from the air with his clutch?

2 Likes

I would like his manuals to be fixed though more than half of his normals whiff after a heavy scarab linker because of the pushback. we all need to complain about this to get it fixed. Also some characters can manual after an opener but Kan doesn’t seem to be able to because of how negative his entire character is on hit was this really intended ?

3 Likes

Here are some of my other Kan-Ra questions to any of the devs that even read this thread. These are honest questions and do not require any change or action from the devs but a reply of the Dev teams thoughts are all that I would hope for. @CStyles45 @rukizzel @TheKeits @F3Sleep @lHagenl

1. Why are Kan-Ra air scarabs when close including the shadow version -20 something on hit? To my knowledge all air attacks are plus on hit. This makes it almost impossible to get manuals other than standing LK.

2. Does the fact that Kan-Ra linkers all give +3 advantage along with the fact that most of his normals have long start up times have anything to do with manual timing? Also some characters can manual after an opener but I dont think that Kan can is there a reason for this?

3. Kan-Ra anti air are among the slowest in the game 11 frame startup for air heavy clutch and down back HP, 10 frame for the crouching HK the hitboxes on these arent great but they arent the worst either but i find myself having to choose on the fly as to which is best for certain situations its like having to play an anti air mini game with myself when most characters have 9 or less for AA and even better a 2 frame invincible dp so that they dont have to worry at all. I am aware that after crouching HK you can recap with whirl in most situations, but because of the hitbox you often trade with the opponents air attack and cant do it anyway. But maybe its bad timing on my part.

4. Shadow command grab okay according to the tiles on the training room floor Kan can shadow clutch from 2 tiles out is that the only reason why you allow the opponent to react jump out of it and its only 12% and its only property is throw immunity? Thunders is 1.5 tiles and has throw immunity, hard knockdown and launcher for 20% , hisako’s is just inside 2 tiles and gives her full wrath side exchange and also cant be reacted to for 16 percent. Raam’s is 1 frame and does decent damage but you have to be point blank and he needs it for sure. I am aware that if you combo into it with a stagger you get hit for 19% but since you dont get anything from shadow clutch in this situation why would a player ever do this with no launcher or hard knock down? You get 17% for doing a regular clutch after a stagger and at least get a ground bounce that you can do something with it. Just give it some thought please.

5. Regular clutch is not throw immune? all other command grabs I believe are except hisako possession and Arbiter non shadow command grab maybe there is something to this that im missing but that is why im writing this for clarification.

6. I like where shadow scarab ball is right now but sometimes it hits 1 time on startup if opponent gets too close and the ball just doesnt happen you also cant combo with it and have just wasted shadow meter for no reason.

7. Shadow sand trap a lot of the time after players get hit with the first 4 hits the sting for the slow completely whiffs and there is also a sweet spot where it will sting and not hit players standing right in it. This needs a little help.

8. Standing MP is there a real reason that this has to whiff up close? I can kinda of understand the crouching mp due to the range and if you change that one I would just trip guard people free. the real issue is that sometimes when going for manuals I get these buttons and lose the match because DB and Down get tricky and sometime for the standing one the back doesnt happen for the spinny wheel. Same thing for when i have sand out and get a manual scorpion sting or ant lion that is all the way on the other side of the screen when i just wanted a crouching Kick button not sure if anything can be done about this.

9. Whirl and shadow whirl this move side changes in ways that are unpredictable to the user even when used as a shadow counter I cant count the number of matches lost because I was now on the other side and got an opener ender after a shadow counter instead of an ultra. Also it affects manuals with back and down back inputs cause now you are holding wrong side then the manual whiffs and you lose.

10. Scarabs they dont do damage, they dont do potential damage, it some how feels like the whole cast minus Raam can simply ignore them. They also seem to hinder my combos more than they help at times. Hitting only 5 times seems to not give much time to react if you actually catch some one with a scarab. I never would have thought 1 hit would make such a big difference.

11. It would be nice to be able to manual crouching HP after a jumping attack to do some cool juggle things but that is just wishful thinking.

12. You used to be able to push into the corner with Anti Air clutch was this intentionally removed from 3.5 ? just wondering cant seem to anymore. Also after a command grab you can no longer dash cancel into an air attach while in instinct was this also removed on purpose?

Thanks again for listening guys again I am just looking for clarity and understanding to these things not necessarily changes. I care about this character and invest time into him and these are things that I noticed. I will include some videos later if desired.

3 Likes

Maybe you caught the tail end of active frames. This has happened to me to.

Kan-Ra is the buggiest Character in the game and some stuff just doesn’t make any sense. The list you made is pretty good.

Some corrections:

You can manual after j.swarm. The in game frame data is wrong

You can do a manual after light and medium swarm. It’s funny because you can do cr.MK after light swarm opener but not after medium and hard versions.

You can link Cr.HP launcher after j.HK. Although I don’t know why you would do this because you gotta recap with whirl and that’s a horrible linker.

Everything else seems to be right more or less

I could write a book just about all his bugs. And I am not talking about his scarab.

Oh, at least it seems they fixed him being floaty after flip out. Thx IG… sigh

2 Likes