Improving Sadira

yeah i found out how tricky it is. it’s good for ~60%

Able to use Recluse in the air.

I feel Sadira is a strong enough character. I got used to her S2 changes and I still like playing her. I don’t feel she needs buffs or changes. The only thing I’d still like to see, is being able to choose which wall she clings to with Shadow Web Cling. But it may be too strong already since you won’t be able to corner her when she has meter. If it’s too strong, I’d love her recluse to be fully invincible on startup. But even that may prove to strong for the type of character she is.

So unless they buff the rest the of the cast, Sadira will be fine for me.

2 Likes

An air ender. Or a third ender in general, preferably a battery one, but if it she had an air battery ender, that would be cool. That would make the target combo better, because you can manual into the air and end the combo from there. I don’t think she needs anything for improvement, as I have her at 2 on my tier list.

1 Like

interesting idea about that. it would make her target combo, though easy to break, more viable

Oh, If there’s one thing I’d change, it would be to stop auto doubles coming out after a linker or opener when you just want to place a web.

An air-throw would also not be out of place. Throw into air-throw for a hard knockdown. Because I can’t land her sweep consistently on launched opponents. :smile:

i’d love to see some minor changes comes to Sadira.

• I almost wish they’d give her Instinct a little more power again. Not
    saying she needs infinite webs, but I almost wish outside of a
    counter breaker that she could at least put two webs out instead of
    just one. Kan-Ra is able to put out at least 2 sets of bugs, so it
    wouldn’t really break things and would at least give her a little
    more of an edge again.

• Another neat idea would be her Shadow Web cling. It’s one of the few
    shadow moves that does no damage, but since the introduction of
    Aganos, it got me thinking. What if when Sadira does a shadow web
    cling it actually left the web up as a wall trap? I think it’d be
    kind of a cool idea.

@Magiz
YES!!! The web trap idea for the shadow web cling sounds really good. It’s not quite a wake up dp, but it would work well for set ups, but it would need to fill up the KV meter really fast or automatically fill it to like 80% or something, just so it didn’t give you a 50% damage combo.

@TimelessVisions
Air throw? Yes, I’d very much like this to be added. It would give Sadira a nice level of annoyance by keeping the opponent pinned.

@Magiz

I like the idea of Shadow Web Cling having trap properties…

In terms of having more than one web trap. You only need one, if used correctly. Many newer Sadira mains will just randomly place webs on the arena with hopes that a character will get caught. To truly use them, you have to force the alt player to get caught. I generally use webs make my combos harder to break such as Opener > Manual > web > HK > web > HP > Ender or I will perform a hard knock down and then place a web on top of the opponent and then use double jump to create a cross up. This forces them to get caught.

Her webs don’t have start up or recovery and can be dropped mid combo. So, being able to place 2 of those would be a bit much.

I didn’t read the whole thread but if this is a suggestion as to how you would improve the character then I would add:

The ability to aim shadow web cling backwards or forwards. Particularly for wake up issues.

Just to alleviate that issue where you hit the wall too low , because of the corner, and are open ( I hope she doesn’t already do that I’d feel so silly). If not that then an invincible get off me move (once again for wake up). That’s it. Just some thing so you don have to just sit there and take all the blocks.

All I want is for Widow’s Drop (jumping Down MK) to be a recapture. I could understand making the timing really difficult for balance, but just knowing that a character so heavily focused on aerial shenanigans will have a method to make the most out of their juggles would be great.
Actually, maybe make a Shadow Widow’s Drop. That’d be an awesome recapture, and a great punish for failed anti-air attacks.

I know Sadira is still a phenomenal character (the second one I got to max level/color 9) but I think that these improvements could make her more viable like she used to be and help her stand out more… Even if it earns Sadira players even more salt than we already get :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Would you accept a damage nerf of 15%-20% for a recapture? That’s what would happen.

I accept the price of a minor damage scale deduction for a recapture.

However, Air Recluse…

I would accept a damage nerf. Fulgore got a damage nerf, and he just won evo
Plus, plenty of characters have recaptures in addition to good tool kits, and still deal awesome damage (TJ, Wulf, Riptor)
Besides, this is a thread for our ideal improvements. I can dream :wink:

Fulgore was a counter pick at evo though… He was picked because Rico’s Omen nor Spinal worked enough to win the match the first time he faced Gutter. So he pulled a pocket Fulgore after the Kan-Ra match. Fulgore still is lacking in a lot of tools when they originally compared him to Maya and Kan-Ra in the form of tools to justify his damage nerf. I’ll just run a check list quick.

Projectiles: All.
Zoning: All.
Teleport: Kan-Ra and Fulgore.
Normals: Kan-Ra and Maya.
Mixups/Pressure: All.
Recovery: Kan-Ra wins here because of his sacrifice. It will get you out if your sand is in a good spot.
Shadow access: Kan-Ra and Maya.
Projectile variety: Kan-Ra and Maya both can projectile from the air without meter.
Damage: Kan-Ra and Maya they both beat him in damage and have unblockable or unavoidable damage options.
Resources required for setups: Kan-Ra has no resource requirement since Sand is free.

I know what makes Fulgore awesome, there is still a reason why he is my main. However, the fact that with how easy it is for Maya to get dagger pips and Kan-Ra’s unbreakable combo’s dealing 40%+ while littering the field with traps that aside from a couple characters most can’t get around easily, they have significant advantages across the cast that Fulgore just doesn’t have. It takes roughly 10-15 normal/special hits to fill someone with a full stock of shadow on block. You will never give Fulgore a full stock of shadow on block unless he has instinct active or was beating on you prior to your pressure. Fulgore cannot DP jump ins in the corner unless it is timed specifically which can be manipulated easily when you jump. He cannot anti air you either. He unlike Maya and Kan-Ra has to spend his meter and spin speed to get a mixup which will not allow him a shadow ender or even shadow linkers to get more damage so that once again puts both Maya and Kan-Ra significantly higher in the damage-tool ratio. What if you miss a setup with Fulgore? You lost spin speed and 25% of a shadow stock. What happens when you miss a setup with Kan-Ra? You gained meter because it was blocked. What about Maya? Gained meter and possibly a dagger pip on block or lost a dagger so Kan-Ra wins here too. It’s really hard to explain and get it out there but you really have to just sit there and play Fulgore for a long time and just realize how little the meter he gets along with his damage output being really low. It’ll take an average of 4-5 combo’s per round to beat someone. Even with Shadow’s you’re still looking at 3-4 combo’s.

No, I personally would NOT take a damage nerf in order to have a recapture - and I sure as hell wouldn’t take that to make widow’s drop, of all things, into a recap. The thing’s trajectory and hitbox are waaay too particular to be very useful as such. Sadira has more than enough tools already to be way past “viable”, and she doesn’t need a recapture to augment that. I think a Sadira with a recapture and a 10% damage reduction is a worse character than what we have now. Besides, she already has ways to convert off air hits - not to the degree of a Cinder, obviously, but well enough to get solid damage off of them.

And Fulgore won EVO as a hard counter-pick to Gutter’s Thunder. I don’t think the comparison is all that valid.

1 Like

You seem to mention where fulgore lacks, and mention both maya and kan-ras strengths. These points you’ve made have already been accounted for and balanced appropriately.
Kan-ra does have set-ups that earn meter on block and also shadow free traps, but he is extremely limited if he isn’t given the room in the first place, whereas fulgore can escape said pressure pretty easily.
And yes maya has unbreakable combos and pips on block, but she also gets punished badly for making mistakes. She’s downright laughable without her daggers. Whereas fulgore has special cancel options to keep him safe in almost every scenario, and great reversals.
You’re main issue it seems is how he earns shadow, and that he spends it instead of earns it when he applies pressure. While that is true, he also is the only character in the cast who is truly rewarded for success in such pressure, for he gains crazy amounts of meter freely if he hits his opponent.

He only gains meter freely if he his hitting his opponent and does not use projectiles, lasers, or teleports. If you use his mixups, you spend more meter than you earn from the combo. I’ve played him long enough. If you don’t use laser linkers, and you apply pressure without projectiles or teleports, then yes you can build up crazy spin speed, but to play Fulgore to his potential and use all of his tools that everyone praises, you sacrifice more than you gain. That’s the problem. I know what his strengths are, I know his mixups are fantastic. I’ve tried to look into it as close as possible, but as far as what I can determine, 2 normal hits on block, or 1 normal and a blade dash on block = 1 laser or 1 teleport in terms of spin speed. If the ratio was 1-1, I would not have any problems but it’s not. For some of his best setups, it requires a projectile and a teleport, or a light laser from a normal which would require you go have hit with 5 normals or blade dashes before attempting this to have a net gain in spin speed which only leaves you using his damage ender, not setup enders to gain spin speed. The only pressure string that is neutral is his roundhouse into light laser. Everything else is negative on your spin speed unless you use blade dash in place of eye lasers but that means you have no lows. This is about the best I can explain it. His meter is his biggest problem, he is punished where everyone else is rewarded. If he is blocking, he gains nothing and loses spin speed, if he is shooting projectiles, he is losing meter where everyone else gains meter, if he wants to amass his mixup potential, he wastes meter where characters like Spinal have an additional resource to use or they just gain meter all while Fulgore has one of the lowest damage potential in the game without using resets to build white damage. The only place Fulgore cannot escape pressure is in the corner, or specifically to meaty and ambiguous jump ins. His DP has too much forward momentum even on his light which will make it miss a lot more than it connects. Jago’s light will counter hit in the corner but Fulgore’s will not. Unless the DP is delayed until the hit is like right about to hit you, Fulgore cannot DP in the corner. He has to block.

I know and have played several high profile Fulgore mains and in the right hands he is deadly. Much like Spinal w/ skulls, when Fulgore gains meter he’s a beast. I still feel that Fulgore is a bit too powerful, and I really preferred him in his S1 incarnation. He was high risk high reward. Being able to manually gain meter through combos (Auto Triples), as well as charging made you work for his power.

I really don’t like playing as him now, even less playing against him. I (my opinion) don’t see risk nor reward. He gets meter consistently (albeit slowly, no matter what he’s doing. This has encouraged the cheesy spam fireball and teleport gameplay that I see so much now a days.

I wish I could manually charge once again. A. I gained meter MUCH faster. B. This encouraged you to get into the action and attack versus warp all the time. C. You could create some uber crazy combos.