IG Please make stages: Rash, Mira, Gargos - DLC

That math doesn’t make any sense…first you say we would need more money to create one new stage than it took to create one new character, then you say the equivalent of five new stages is the same as 2 characters? could you please clarify?

1 Like

He means instead of getting the game funded with the whole season with new stages, they traded in the deal for Shadow Lords, a new multiplayer mode and more. This obviously includes the 3 current Season 3 stages, (possibly 4), the 8 characters etc.

They may need to do a second fundraiser in order to get stages for Rash, Mira, Gargos and the final two characters.

No that’s not what I was talking about.

1 Like

Otherwise, if you read properly on his post, he said one choice was the price of five new stages for Season 3 with two brand new characters without stages or what we really have for Season 3.

Well Shago already had elements made for him, I’d assume a totally new character would have lots of new assets.

Though its interesting that Adam used 2 character as the example.

To create one new stage would require a community fund multiple times larger than what we did with creating Shadow Jago
right here he insinuates that one stage would cost more than one character

For the price of five new stages, we could have 2 brand-new characters (without stages).
then right here he says that one stage would cost less that one character
you see what I mean? i’m not trying to be a ■■■■ I just want to get the facts

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good point but how expensive could making a character model be? They still had to make a bunch of new animations for new moves and add to his ultimate

Voice actor
Music theme
New Model
New animations for normals
New animations for specials
Hit and Hurt boxes…Ect box
Writing back story

A lot of the animation was already there, too. His DP and the taunt were the only new animations. The ultimate was modified from the boss version. Most of his moves already exist from the boss version with some extra VFX added.

I totally understand the comparison to the Shadow Jago community fund, but I think what people are still curious about is if a fund to do the 5 stages would still be possible regardless, even at a higher price or if it would be financially unviable do to because of that. My take-away is that people would get sticker-shock at the price needed for such a DLC offering (not even considering if you had the time). I can’t speak for most people, but I’d have no issue paying between $5-6 bucks for a stage.

On a similar note, I’ve always wondered if stages have become much more resource-intensive since the shift from 2D to 3D models. It does seem like in general in fighters now we get less stages in a given game than we used to. I’m assuming having to model the environments in 3D while keeping an eye on in-game resource usage is a much more labor-intensive relative to other game dev tasks than before. I think people very much underestimate the relative level of effort involved to make stage for a current game. Would you say this is accurate?

I would love to see a fighting game dev talk about this more, because the development process of characters and stages seems to be a mystery to a lot of people, and it would be very interesting to see.

1 Like
8 Likes

Fitting how hope is the last to “die” even though the dream is long been destroyed

Completely understand this explanation. That being said, I’m still waving my wallet around. ANY community fund for this incredible game will get my money without hesitation.

1 Like

Well the shadow jago community fund goal was $100,000 and we met that in a fraction of the week long fund so it clearly made more than the 100k goal in the time given.

I’m a little confused though, it was proposed by the devs that we might be able to fund another event such as an additional shadow character at some point down the road. Does that mean that a second community fund for said character would be more than $100,000 because a character’s worth is approximately that of 2.5 stages? Was shadow jago’s creation cheaper than the average character, or did the cost of character development go up from season 2-3? Shadow Jago’s assets for the most part were already in the game, is that why he was cheaper to create and if so, a new shadow character would have to be made from scratch so logically it would cost several times more money to repeat the process right?

I’m not going to get bogged down in the math but in season 2 we managed to get a fully featured story mode (rivals) and a brand new gameplay mode (Shadows) as well and neither of those took away from the character stages of that season.

Anyway I’m just taking in circles but I’m not going to give up hope that this game and the entire cast will be complete someday.

the question is, why was there a tradeoff in the first place? less resources? what changed from past seasons?

we made it in 24 hours

2 Likes

Nah, it was 72. Still, no matter what we do a fund for, I’m sure it’ll get knocked out in under a week, especially with all the new PC players.

Have you thought about adding nighttime and daytime versions of existing stages? Couldn’t that be a reasonable option going forward? Kinda similar to Shago and Jago’s stage…

3 Likes

I had at one point suggested something akin to Nintendo’s Wuhu Island…a single location/assett with several different areas that can be used for multiple stages…such as a huge castle. They could put a stage on the castle wall, one in front of the drawbridge, one in the courtyard, etc.

The day and night versions have been brought up since last year

there may yet be a nod to that in shadow lords???

Who knows