I reach promotion 3 consecutives times.... in one day but then

Don’t get upset, it happens with everybody. Consider yourself lucky if you only had to grind up these 150 points 3 times, i had to grind all the stair 3 times because i got salty for loosing and lost like 10 matches in a row being demoted to the bottom of the gold rank. There is no need to be in a rush to get Killer, remember that you will be basically only fighting killer ranked people after you get promoted and if you continue to get upset because you can’t be promoted you will, wanna die after a week without being able to get any points at all.

Just relax, you will make it.

I think he has a legitimate issue brought up within the ranking system. I’ve been Killer rank for some time, but I still think he has a point, especially since they changed some of the ranking system rules for season 3. He may not have the ideal connection for playing KI, and I would recommend that at his first possible chance to do so he upgrade his internet, but that’s reasonably beside the point for the original argument, which isn’t a discussion on connection speeds, but to how steep the punishment on a promotion match should be.

With people being able to move up and down the ranks, qualifying and resetting rank and requalifying, exactly how is it fair you can arbitrarily define one match to have as much weight as 5 other matches. Promotion to killer is you going against another gold or killer, which has the same best of 3 rules, the same time limit, etc. Just saying it’s a promotion match is NOT justification enough to say it should carry the heavy punishment of failure it does. Do I believe he should be promoted whether he wins or loses? No. Do I believe being set back by 5 or 6 matches is very big hit? Entirely. Do I believe that the number could be revisited and brought down a little, maybe a -100 penalty? Yes.

It’s unfortunate that sometimes those critical moments don’t turn out how we would like them, but in a system where rank doesn’t seem to matter all that much, since killers can now requalify and artificially decrease their rank, in what way is it fair that the standard for punishment to make what many of you believe is such a trivial title anyway?

With so many opinions believing that killer is a trivial title to achieve, WHY is the punishment as high as it is? Obviously it’s not trivial to the developers, and part of a system to be considered for advancement. But everyone here is trying to convince the OP there is no problem with how ranked works. I disagree and say this is one of the oversights to the ranking system, where it’s just too easy to get matched against people who the game deems is one skill level, when in truth they are another. So when he plays a tourney player who’s disguised themselves as a bronze for a promotion match (it can happen if the game can find no equal opponent in a timely manner), and is punished by 5 matches back, you can’t tell me honestly that there isn’t a problem with the system, and that maybe the penalty for punishment couldn’t be changed to count less on one bad match, and more on an aggregate performance?

1 Like

Wrong again my friend!!
In gold ladder i fight against killers and i win lots of fights.
In fact , any fight in gold against killer is necesary win TWO MATCHES , in other words win TWICE against a killer player… and the reward is 50 points but if you loose the match you loose 150? its fair?

If a killer player loose 100 consecutives matchs against gold players nothing happens, and a gold player wins against him many times , that killer deserve be a killer?
In fact, if i win 30 matches (including killers for a ridiculous 50 points ) and loose 3 i deserve the 150 points punishement?
rethink you point sir

WOW!
AMEN

It is

First of all, what I said about 1000 matches was an example, don’t take it literal

Second, it is fair. It’s called preassure. You surely can be nervous because of the punishment if you lose. If the penalty is a low one, then you are not under preassure. It’s like playing a tournament final. Maybe you would win 99/100 times that fight in normal circunstances. But the extra preassure makes you commit mistakes.

You only have to make into killer once since the reset. So it’s expectable to be a hard proccess

You can do it dude, don’t give up! If you have gotten to the promo that many times you will get it in no time.

I will say this: I think the ranking system is not very good. For completely different reasons from you of course, I think it’s way too easy to get killer rank, which devalues it greatly. The fact that the only measure of rank above that, top 32 stars, is based much more on the amount of time played per month than skill is also a problem.

I see the point penalty for losing a promotion match as an attempt to reduce randomness in the system. Maybe you happened to get a lucky streak of bad players on your way up to promotion…when you lose and it boots you back down, it’s telling you to prove that you can do it again. I’m sure you can, if you keep trying.

1 Like

when IG/ms upped the ping from 150 to 250 quality of matches took a big hit. I wish they’d have searched based on match quality. I’ve been disconnected a lot lately and laggy matches since they implement this.

didn’t the devs tell us reaching killer was going to be harder after the SE3 reset? I’m 100 percent sure they did.

It technically is, but not in a way that fixed the issues that actually make it easy to rank up. The promotion penalty, the best of 2 gold, and the higher point requirements all make it “harder”, but the issues of not being able to rank down from loses, lucky wins into rank up, and the constantly diminishing skill level per tier are all still there.

Best out of 3 is the most important feature to me. I mean, I have one chance to adapt. You are gold, you are pretty close, just keep going. No doubt you will get it.

1 Like

I understand it seems like a heavy punishment for 1 loss, but… its fairly easy to get to the promotion match. Its very difficult to win the promotion match at times so this balances it out.

You cant say its too easy to reach killer now becasue you lost 3 promotion matches… but you cant say it isnt easy to get to the actual promotion match itself.

Its fine… a tough pill to swallow but once you do win the promo match its over so just keep at it. You can only get better and more prepared for Killer this way.

Yeah, I completely agree with this. The promotional match, just as a concept is not fair. It’s taking a random online matchup and treating it like a programmed set of AI fights where you battle weak opponents and then have to defeat a “boss” to advance. But since some people will randomly match up against low rank Gold players and win to get into Killers and others will randomly get folks with two pro stars (happened to me), it’s not serving Amy kind of skill gateway. It’s just a random event that puts an incredible amount of weight in a single fight for no reason. On the other hand, there’s something wrong if you are advancing to your promotion match fighting silver level players. Ideally, there would be plenty of gold players around to give you more even matches, develop and “prove” your proficiency and then advance you when you are ready. But no system can make up for low player numbers and I’m afraid we just don’t have enough people playing to make a smooth curve for you.

Having said that, I understand completely the OP’s frustration. But the Deb’s have tried different ranking systems and they invariably make people upset for one reason or another. During season 1, when you could get demoted playing in ranked was incredibly stressful. Although it was probably a better indicator of your individual skill, there were hidden issues with that as well. For example a huge dearth of people in the 20-35 level ranks. Turns out the “pros” all made it to 40 and then just fought each other while the rest of us kind of got stuck in the 20ish area without better players to fight against.

TL;DR the OP is right, in my opinion but good ranking systems are tough to make. High player volume makes any system work and low player volume makes any system fail.

1 Like

Personally…I don’t know. I honestly feel like all the gates put in place, as well as the rank reset option all work together and do everything the way it’s intended. I can understand the frustration from the gate seeming unfair, but at the same time there is the idea that if you really belong on the other side of that gate, the gate won’t hold you back. I’ve reached Killer 3 times so far, once shortly after Shago came out, once after the S3 reset, and once when I started playing as Gargos. And while that first climb was difficult, on the other 2 the gate keeper didn’t even slow me down.

As far as getting to Killer being too easy…I don’t think so. First off it really just depends on what you think Killer should represent. Considering KI has over 7 million players and there are around what…3,000 Killers, maybe 4,000?..that would make them the top 1% of all KI players. If that’s not worth the title of Killer I don’t know what is. Does that mean there isn’t still a diversity of skills in the Killer rank? Of course there is. But that doesn’t mean the guy in 2,364th place would be properly placed if he were back down with the Golds.

I fully get this. So then don’t have a huge punishment for losing, but make the “gate” defeating a killer ranked player. It’s just so random that some people can skate by fighting a bottom tier Gold Rank to get into Killer but if you lose your match to ITAMaster you get dropped a level in gold.

Yeah, the punishment is a bit too steep in all fairness, but I think we’ve all been saying that since they first changed it.

1 Like

if it was long ago, you lost 200 pts on a promoting match. ouchies.

At the start of Season 3, which launched in March about 8 months ago and accompanied a total ranked reset. So yeah, it was definitely a while ago, over half a year. But promo matches take you back -150, which I kinda agree with the OP is a little much.

I get it’s tough, but honestly, Season 2 was too easy to get to Killer, so much so that I felt undeserving of being amongst them. If you are struggling to obtain a promotion against Killers, imagine how much tougher it will be once you are there.

The promotion is a test, it is not easy by any means, I agree - I struggled a bit as well before I managed to get there. But, like any test it is easy to fail. They are meant to test what you learned by pitting you against everything you faced, which is why it is a promotion.

The reward is grand and so is the punishment, you shouldn’t immediately go back to the promotion match after one or two matches because it wouldn’t help you learn what is needed in that span.

Keep at it, I know it seems annoying and tedious but once you make it there and I know you will, you will feel on top of the world for beating something that once seemed impossible.

1 Like

Except it’s not a system that’s always being played with utmost honesty (like Killers resetting their ranking) and a system with a player base that’s not always large enough to immediately place you against an opponent tailored to truly test you within your range, as you’ll sometimes play against bronze and silver players or pro star players, falling into the too high and too low categories. Within this system, the promo match system isn’t always exactly the most pure of trials to make or break the ceiling for rank advancement. So when the system doesn’t exactly play fair in a number of these circumstances, why is the penalty for failure considered the only thing that is fair?

Maybe you shouldn’t be able to reach promo match right away after one or two matches, but maybe at least 3 or 4 instead of what is currently 5, 6 or sometimes even 7 matches depending on what type of players you will encounter. I think it’s something that’s a valid point of debate.