I have to speak on Eyedol's new design

Let me first state that I’ve been begging for Eyedol since season one, I’ve had one on one talks with @TempusChaoti about him on the forums and via private messages and let me tell you something, this guy trolled me hard, all of us really. In our talks, he had told me that Eyedol’s design would be difficult because Aganos had just came out and he too used a club for a weapon, leading me to believe Eyedol would not have a club. He said on the forums that Eyedol was goofy and his design would be hard to make look “relevant” and often threw around the name Harryhausen like a four letter swear word, and even said once that they would have to do a Janus kinda thing with two faces on one head that flips around and often popped into my threads to crush my hopes and dreams for fun… dude pulled off the biggest developer troll of all time.

I’m extremely grateful that Eyedol is back, season 3 has been saved in my opinion. I’ve been strongly disappointed this season with the lack of stages, no ultimate combos, etc but this is the saving grace, Eyedol is back and no matter how much people said it wouldn’t happen, here we are regardless of if Ken Lobb hated the character.

That being said his new design is BEAUTIFUL, as a hardcore Eyedol fan it’s not quite what I wanted since technically he’s only got one head and he’s not a cyclops anymore… but still they did a great job of taking the old theme and making it new again. They clearly took a lot of inspiration from us on the forums, we had many suggestions about removing the satyr legs, adding armor, making him more of a medieval orge trope and it seems they stuck with them. The weird corpse-like appearance really works for him but we all are crossing our fingers that the retro will be the real Eyedol we love, don’t disappoint IG & MS.

His playstyle also seems to have been inspired by the fans, many of us requested him to be a lumbering giant with a mace (since we assumed a club was off the table) and they went with it. We wanted him to be a stance character and now he is, one head appears to control ranged magic and the other is an offensive rushdown/grappler looking playstyle.

Overall he looks amazing and after the initial shock of seeing his new look its starting to grow on me, unlike Gargos’ new design I am falling for modern Eyedol. I can’t wait to see more, its really been a rollercoster of emotions over the last couple of years being an Eyedol fan, coping with crushing disappointment from the devs to constant harassment from players that felt the need to be rude and hateful for no apparent reason but it feels great to finally have what we deserve, the big boss man of KI is back in business.

18 Likes

I love his design through and through, despite how ugly it truly is…

The split-head is ingenius, IMO and really adds to the character’s story. He also has a lot of contrasts, so-to-speak. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Each eye is a different color - red and purple
Each horn is different in shape and size - 1 is broken, the other is not.
Each mouth is different - 1 has a tusk and the other does not.
Each shoulder is different - 1 has armor and the other is adorned with magical runes.
Each hand is different - 1 has a mace and the ohter does not.
Each stance is different - 1 is brute force with fire and the other is magical with electricity.

He naturally has a troll look (great job on trolling us BTW, devs, especially @TheKeits with his powdered toast-man profile pic on Twitter, with its own split head), which is great because he fits so many profiles - troll, ogre, orc, zombie, Frankenstein’s monster, demon, djinn (seriously, he looks almost like the wishmaster with his face put together), etc.

His pot-belly helps add to how interesting he looks and moves too. I like the fact that there aren’t really any fat characters in KI and that he now seems to fill that role, rather than being truly large like many others (although he is still pretty sizable, mind you). The skulls on his belt and mace also allude to the idea that he’s no friend of the human race.

His design move-wise looks really cool too. He has a meteor swarm, a lightning attack, a slam-attack with his mace (I assume that’s his throw), a teleport, a charge, etc. This guy literally is beast!

His design story-wise is wonderfully done too. He was the only 1 to stand against Gargos, and he died for it. In his desperation, Kan-Ra resurrects him in attempt to gain a minion of his own, only to fail (yet again) at controlling the power that he awakens. The very idea that Eyedol may also be a shadow lord, like Gargos (unconfirmed as of this post in the current KI) and that he serves no one seems rather apt. The fact that he has 2 “toes” on each foot, much like Gargos, tends to lend credit to this idea.

As far as his retro, he will have 2 heads - the devs have confirmed this. Due to the split-head on his normal appearance though, I imagine the 2 heads on his retro will be rather “thin” much like what is seen on a lot of his old KI promotional art. Furthermore, I’m curious to see if he’ll maintain the pot-belly.

As far as accessories go, he could run the gamut - he could look like an Orc from Warhammer 40K, complete with chainsaw, like Shrek, like a djinn, and so on… There are so many good ideas. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s my favorite part about it!
It looks absolutely brutal and monstrous, a true abomination! And I wouldn’t have it any other way! He’s the first character I think that goes beyond being a specific beasty archetype. We’ve got a werewolf, a raptor, a vampire, a mummy, a few demons, a skeleton, an onryo…
What I like about Eyedol is I look at his new design and I just think: MONSTER
He’s huge, he’s hideous, you can see bits of his brain. Tusks and horns and a beer gut. He’s the antitheses of beauty…and that’s what makes it beautiful.

5 Likes

I love Eyedols new design I (can’t believe I haven’t) would never guessed the spilt head. Like that’s genius. I am so hyped for him and I pretty much knew he was coming lol.

2 Likes

I just came to the realization that his head was NOT cleaved in 2…

…his entire upper body was! If you look at the trailer or his hero art, you can clearly see that the cleave goes through his torso, and he’s only held together there by the ropes that also hold his armor in place. Again, awesome design! :smiley:

8 Likes

I think the slice stops just above his belly but yeah, he was nearly cut in half. Pretty epic design choice.

5 Likes

Im loving it too! His entire design tells a story… little details here and there… I cant wait to learn more about his story and move sets!!!

He blows Gargos away!!! Im not a fan of Gargos…I dont hate him…but he just isnt fun to use…Sleep did make him look pretty awesome tonight though!

2 Likes

The only nitpick I have about the trailer is how Eyedol says I instead of WE when referring to himself like he used to.

1 Like

Hell they even used our suggestion about having the inactive head go to sleep, its like they took all of our suggestions to heart.

1 Like

I am one the guys who didn’t want eyedol back, but what IG created is amazing. eyedol’s new design is very good. for me its much better than gargos’s design (to skinny), but eyedol is better than expected. Awesome job IG! you guys are very talented in creating characters/designs. congrats! :wink:

2 Likes

I wasn’t a fan of Eyedol but now I am!! I’m glad IG brought Eyedol back. Season 3 is officially complete!!

1 Like

I can get behind this though!

The default is atrocious

1 Like

Ok, there are so many threads about Eyedol I didn’t even know where to write this down, but I think this one is just as good.

HO-LY COW!!! I am just… beyond words! I am just so friggin’ hype I’m just shaking as I write!!
This guy is a friggin’ BEAST!!! I don’t even know where to begin!

I just woke up, went to the site, saw the news and was just like “NO WAY!”. It actually came true! Both my wishes and my dreams!
Then I saw his redesign, and something happened to me that didn’t happen since Glacius - it made me raise my brow at first, but just as quickly I fell in love with his new design. Love his “head-splitting” reimagining, it’s a cool way to get over that two-headed conundrum. But now I want to know more about him - how he got his head split in the first place!
Also love how more “trollish” and fat he has become - you can now scratch two of my requested character traits from my wishlist - the troll and the “fat guy” - Eyedol got both! :slight_smile:
Then I saw his trailer… twice. Oh dear Lord, he’s just an animal! I love it!! His gameplay, his quirks, his voice, his THEME SONG! (when does the S3 soundtrack come out, again?) :slight_smile:

All in all, I’m so happy that not only we FINALLY GOT EYEDOL BACK but he’s genuinely AWESOME AS HECK too, I can only say THANK YOU to Iron Galaxy and Microsoft (@TempusChaoti, you big tease, you!) for bringing in the last original character and in such a way it completely makes me forget about all other fighting games and consoles. I chose the Xbox for this game alone and man, am I glad I did it!

All that I hope is that KI will live on and not stop here. I really would like to see what new characters IG could bring into the fold in a future season. I hope that poll was really meant for that, despite the fact that Eyedol was probably there just to fool us around a bit more. This game NEEDS to be kept alive and I will do whatever I can to help in that regard.

Oh and thank you for the release date too! My birthday is 3 days later, so just in time for a proper celebration (because no birthday party is complete without Eyedol)!

5 Likes

In addition to previously mentioned tropes, it occured to me that he also fits the following:
primitive
tribal
brute warrior
shaman
witch doctor

…and this is already on top of:
troll
ogre
orc
djinn
demon
Jekyll/Hyde
Frankenmonster
zombie
satyr
cyclops
giant
barbarian
warlock

3 Likes

What makes Eyedol fit the djinn idea/trope?

Never!

I’d rather love female genies than him!

Thats the thing I don’t see how Eyedol represent that idea which is why I’m asking. Other than the use of fire magic but then again so is cinder and cinder is no djinn

1 Like

His face(s) look an awful lot like the WIshmaster. :wink:

This.
There’s nothing about Eyedol’s main appearance that I like. He’s so ■■■■■■■ ugly. And not even in the cool way. His retro is ugly too, but there’s something cool about it at least. His main is just disgusting.

The split head is a good idea, in theory, but in practise it looks really bad, imo.

I actually 100% disagree with you. His main appearance is ugly, yes, but it helps tell, and sell, the story of who he is and how he came to be, as well as why he does what he does. His retro, however does not - with it, he’s just another monster.

2 Likes