I have to speak on Eyedol's new design

They could’ve done that AND made him look cool. They didn’t though, imo.

“Cool” is a subjective opinion though; for example, unlike you, I think his design is cool, despite how ugly he is. What’d you expect him to look like anyways? Barbie-doll Ken? Fabio? He’s a monster!

1 Like

And I am expressing MY opinion, so obviously he does not look cool to ME! Hence why I wrote “imo” which means “in my opinion”. Don’t patronize me with those examples.

1 Like

In my original reply to you, I expressed why his ugliness works in his favor. So far, in that regard, you haven’t disagreed with me. You just said that they could’ve done that and made him look cool, which, as we have both agreed, is subjective.

So with your opinion in mind, how would YOU have made him look cool? Hmm?

Oh, no, I DO disagree with you. I don’t think it works in his favour. Like I said, they could have done this, but still make him look cool, as in, what I think is cool. The ugly cave troll look with the fat belly and stupid face… it doesn’t work for me.

And I already stated that his retro looks cool, the more muscular look, the more regal and demonic villain appearance and stature… that’s what made Eyedol cool to me in the original. He looked fearsome and awesome at the same time. He doesn’t in his main though, he looks absolutely silly and laughable.

Be that as it may, you still haven’t answered my question, so I’ll reiterate it for you:
How would you have made him look cool?

Yeah, sorry, I realized that and edited my post above. ^^

C’mon guys, everyone knows that even if we state something as fact over here, its still colored by perception and personal preference. Lets not try and get into discussions about it please.

That said, I personally didnt have any strong feeling towards Eyedol before the reveal, and was ambivilant to his inclusion (did I say that right?), but his new look to me is just so incredibly amazing, might be the coolest looking fighting game character I have ever seen (Hisako and Aganos being strong contenders too). If he plays awesome too he will definitely be someone I might start to main.
Its just such beautiful gruesome design, which such detail and story in it. He also looks like a true monster!

I can however understand someone not liking him, simply for not liking the type of creature he turned out to be. And the style used. And just like I’m using big words to show my appreciation, they will use big words to say they dont like him. I hope people will take that into consideration when they dont like someones opinion, even if worded strongly or clumsily, since we are all entitled to our opinion.

3 Likes

This is full out just MY opinion. Never stated it any of it as a fact.

Exactly, wasnt argueing you, or anyone really, like I said, just difference in opinion, you would like the more regal monster, I personally would like the gruesome horrible monster and thats ok.
I just sometimes feel that people here try too hard to convince people of their opinion, while its just different and people wont change your mind about something like that. People like what they like.

1 Like

Again, I disagree. IMO (of course), I think his retro isn’t realistically proportioned - his chest is too wide and his waist too thin, and with far too many muscles. Furthermore, I don’t think he looks regal or like a demon - the former is nothing when compared to, say the regalness of Gargos; and with the latter, I’d say his main appearance, as well as Gargos, fit the bill better than his retro. With his retro, he’s just a mish-mash monster of Greek myths - giant, cyclops, satyr, ettin, etc., which to me, at any rate, is lazy design - and by and large many people didn’t like his original look in the previous KI games, hence a lot of the naysayers prior to his re-release.

As @Draigh has pointed out though, since we are arguing our opinions, this could go in circles forever until the poor horse is dead, so I’ll just leave it here.

I personally think a fat troll is more of a lazy design. The chimera that is his retro look is more to my taste, and I don’t think a character needs to be realistically proportioned to look cool. The retro is indeed not perfect though. I do prefer his original look over any of his new looks.

I like to see the big belly as being bloated from being dead for a while, maybe some maggots in there, thus being extra gruesome :sunglasses:

That said, could you tell me why you call it a ‘lazy’ design?
I think every character that doesnt look simply human has about the same amount of work/time put into it, and the head thing, seems to me to be a pretty creative find, so it doesnt look like he was rushed or anything.
Maybe I’m misubderstanding the language here, so hence the question.

One question how does retro eyedol or Eyedol himself seem regal that’s something I have trouble seeing since Eyedol is mostly naked. ( is it his earings?)

“Lazy” might not be the right word. But to me it just seems like a “gimmick” then devs try and make a character different simply by making him fat. The only two characters I’ve seen it work well with is Bo’Rai Cho from MK and Bob from Tekken. Otherwise, it just feels like a quick and easy (aka lazy) way to make a character appear “ugly” or “disgusting”.

The reason I think it works for Bo and Bob is because they aren’t fat to look ugly. Yes, Bo has some pretty disgusting moves, but he also moves like a graceful and master martial artist.

It has more to do with how he is carrying himself, the way he stands and moves, his stature and composure. It doesn’t work that well in his retro, as he is sharing the same composure as with his main, but he appeared such in KI1, imo.

Well to be fair, I think the whole point was to make Eyedol look ugly disgusting, its the same if they want someone to look badass and they give him a scar on his face, nothing bad about using things like that.

Now I know I am pretty easy going with things, and eventhough there are things I dont like in this game (for example I really find Cinder uninteresting, while I loved him in the original), I shrug my shoulders and move on. But for every me, there are people with a lot more passion, especially here in the forums, and I can imagine for those people if things dont turn out like they would like to see it, it blows big time.

And I do find it a shame you didnt get out of it what you would have liked, especially since you were already disappointed in season 3 if I recall correctly. I do hope you continue to play the game with the characters you do like and are comforted in the knowledge you have a wider selections of punch bags now :wink:

I actually like both his regular and his retro looks. His accesories will suck though, mark my words :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the game really rated M now? Maybe split-head Eyedol is the reason.

The M rating comes from the 2 classic games included.

Hm I thought it was either the stance/posture or the earring. I can see why you would think that. Hopefully there are accessories that can bring back that look like armor although I doubt it since the theme for Eyedol seemed to have changed from showing off Eyedol in his prime decked out in war King armor and etc. and instead something that was dead, killed in battle and revived incompletely, bloated scarred and etc.

Yes! KI finally got it’s “fat fighter”!

4 Likes