Growing the Community: Combo Assist Mode Discussion

dude…of course it isn’t hard to you… you play it constantly and have a 2 page post about your stats! I dont play Smash… at all… Ive tried it maybe 12 matches with my son when gave it to him for Christmas.

Just because I think its hard from only playing it a few times doesnt mean is isn’t because you play it on your 3ds all day.

So why be jerk about it? So take your meme kick rocks boy

If you think about it,

That is pretty much the same for those who have played KI for a long time thinking that the combo system isn’t hard and they can do quarter circle motions no problem. Which really speaks for the reason to have CAM. More competitive game play can only help.

Girlfriend is picking up KI now because of Combo Assist. Proof it brings in new players.

3 Likes

i think many of the naysayers dont ask the right questions or dont show any advantages of using cam over not using cam.

The question - that i seemed to overread - is about the argument “cam helps new players - cam brings new players”. Are players new players when they reached killer rank? At which point do they lose the status new player? And is it fair that even after they lost the new status they get help in form of the game?

I dont answer this - i just throw it in here regardless of the current issues (os, left right). And even if you disagree and say shutup cam is the best - you cant deny that there are enough players out there that hate cam (watch the game hub) helping players when they do it all themself - btw negativity sadly has more power and voice than positivity. If they say friends the game is … after the latest patch cause you only have to press one button than maybe the friends dont bother try ki. It doesnt matter if they are right or wrong and if you guys say qc motions are easy mode anyone can do that (than why cam? Something i dont understand in the arguing of some). The risk that because of cam people stop playing ki is there (regardless if they are wrong or right). And isnt cam meant to get new players without losing players that already play ki? You can only grow if you keep players and adding new ones or the other side add more new than losing old players - which only works if your product is well known and accepted.

With all your positivity about cam and smashing down everyone against it - you should think about it.

Ps: I myself sorted the issue out - the only problem i have is opener assist in its current form. The rest of cam i dont care.

1 Like

I dunno about others, but I think it’s very clear that the mode has advantages for beginners (that is, they can’t do QCs well). That’s why the mode exists, after all.

The reason we say “anyone can do it” is because the level of play where it doesn’t matter is quite low. That is, if you stick with KI for a little bit, it eventually becomes totally trivial. The trick, then, is getting people who really suck at QCs to stick with KI long enough at the start, and that’s the point of CAM; to get players past the initial phase of not being able to do QCs in combos and still being able to find enjoyment in the game. If they can do this without impacting high level play, then it’s a good thing.

This is ideal, yeah, but I don’t think it’s actually all that realistic. S3, even if it’s really good, is likely to cause some people to quit KI for whatever reason. Maybe their character got nerfed and they don’t like it, or maybe they don’t like the system changes or the new characters, or whatever. So I think any time you make a change, even if it’s a good change, you risk losing a small amount of players. The real question is whether the net gain (players who join minus players who leave) is high, isn’t it? If you’re looking to grow your game, this is what matters.

Of course you’d like to keep 100% of all existing players around, but it’s probably not possible or realistic. S2 caused some people to drop KI, even though I feel they were largely positive changes. On the other hand, suppose S2 came first, and the game was changed to be S1 afterwards… even if you feel S1 was better overall, this would cause a different group of people to quit.

So yeah, I think the team just has to do what they think is best for the game and welcome new players as best they can. They should listen to constructive criticism (as they seem to be doing with CAM) but 100% retention rate isn’t going to happen.

Of course S3 can make people drop the game regardless of cam. But my point was about cam not S3. Regardless of s3 changes cam can drive people away from the game. Since we dont know how many new ones get into ki because of cam - it adds a risk.

This could be avoided to some extent if you could add a filter for cam on/off/all to exhibition and lobby mode with default to all. Keeping a few is better than keeping none. And it would not divide the community since its optional in lobby and exhibition like the rank filter.

Just saying.

CAM will drive 0 people away who were worth keeping in the first place.

There were people who left because they couldn’t abuse the broken season 1 manual system.

It’s not worth it to stop the development of the game for some curmudgeons.

1 Like

I understand completely what you are saying here, but I don’t think this is a serious issue. If you can reach killer rank without learning to do special moves in neutral then that just proves that the level of competition in the game was low to begin with. CAM doesn’t help you throw out fireballs or DPs in neutral or get special move openers without manuals first. These are a huge part of the game. So if you make it into Killer Rank using CAM you probably deserve to be there (and probably don’t need CAM anymore).

Things like the cross up and OS that give players advantages are like any other unintended advantages because of game changes. They will be fixed or modified by the devs as time goes by.

[quote=“LycanNaryko, post:855, topic:3441”]
The risk that because of cam people stop playing ki is there (regardless if they are wrong or right). And isnt cam meant to get new players without losing players that already play ki?
[/quote]This is true. But, sadly, if the existing player base was enough to maintain KI we wouldn’t really be having these conversations. You are right - it’s a well known communication challenge that negative messages predominate. So if 9 people say “this is great” and one person says “this is garbage” people tend to remember that “people hate this.”

I think it’s a losing battle to sort of “count up” the people who have tried and left, or outright dismissed KI without trying it, and then ask “what could we do to keep them?” Just on this forum alone you can dig up “they nerfed TJ’s auto-doubles so I’m leaving” threads and “They didn’t nerf TJ’s yolo play style enough so I’m leaving” threads. People threaten to quit over everything.

I had an interesting experience on YouTube in the comments section of Max’s video explaining CAM. If you read them you can see that very obviously MOST of the people complaining are not people who actually play KI. I pointed this out to one guy and he admitted 'yeah, I haven’t played since KI Gold." The original arcade games have much more challenging execution and require you to learn which linkers work for which buttons etc. So people are comparing apples and oranges. Also, as you say, negative messages predominate in our minds. So the ACTUAL number of people complaining about CAM is pretty small. It just seems like more.

i dont mean to be mean but congratulations your now adequate at smash. your playtime is 5 hours right? this is january which means the ONLY people playing their smash bro on a 3ds in January of all months are kids who got their christmas gift or new players of various ages that are definitely not skilled veterans that picked up smash over the holidays on the 3ds because why not. Anyone who is serious about smash and knows what they are doing have already gotten a Wii U, already has smash for the wii U and play for glory on the console. Because why would they, most skilled people are 18 and older are still on winter break, thus have no reason to use their 3ds when there is a working wii U right there.

there are more mechanics needed to learn than simly what you call A landing

I think you got me wrong. I just asked these questions to show why some players maybe concerned without arguing about cam.

They dont know about cam oses they just feel that its unfair and to some point i can understand them.

Actually i have no real opinion about cam outside of opener assist. And we will see if there will be more assists in the future - someone already asked for one button wakeup moves. So maybe there will be more assists - who knows.

If there’s one-button special moves in neutral, I’m probably done with the game. :slightly_smiling:

I’d like to think the combat design team knows better than that. I really hope so, anyway.

1 Like

We’re happy with the assists we have now. You will be seeing balance and tweaks (to remove unfair OSes, etc.) but not more types of them.

You aint kidding about KI2! That sucker is SUPER Complex! I bet you most ppl on the new KI wouldn’t last 5 mins playing KI2… you have to follow the pattern or you drop your combo. And to throw a shadow linker in a really hard.

**All combos must follow the “Around the World” trait.
Hvy open, med AD, light linker and so on.

DO you play KI2 much? We should play some day!

I don’t play a lot, but I’d be happy to give it a whirl sometime.

untill she gets rekt by new players

Just an idea as Killer, Gold, etc. ranks don’t reveal actual experience…

To know if we are dealing with a new player then just add codes for our hours played to the gamertag. 1 is less than 100 hours, 2 is less than 200 hours but more than 100, etc. This should make it clear what type of Bronze player or Killer you are dealing with.

Not fully necessary, but if you combine this with CAM info, then it helps to recognize the beginners and intermediates, who are still learning or are in the beginning stages. As opposed to those who disable CAM and indicate that they are ready to learn the hard way (admittedly, a slightly more positive take on revealing CAM info…).

But adding hours of experience only (no CAM info) should make it more clear if you are dealing with a Bronze who has put 300+ hours into the game or 30 minutes, a Killer with 500+ hours or 50 hours…

You can somewhat tell by there player level (1-50)

I seen some Gold and Killer ranks with only 15 player level!

That is true as well.

I know I did!

#And I played on a 3ds! LET’S GO

At a local tourney, I made 3rd, untill they messed up my bracket and disqualified me because the TO told me the wrong time to come back…then rejoined, only to get bodied by a Pikachu…Then lost my 3rd place due to me “Restarting”… SMH :frowning:

I play on 3ds bro. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even this really doesn’t tell you how good a player is… since the ranked level only applies to the player as a whole and not to a character, there is really no telling how good a player is from that. Just how often they played. Also even the level of the character still doesn’t prove how good the person is at playing. Just means that they’ve used that person a lot and gained XP to rank up. This doesn’t really tell you any bonus they received on double XP days for example either.

Also time played doesn’t equate to skill either…not always. Example is that Max does not play KI very often. In fact, there are probably many that put in way more hours and game time into KI than he does. But skill wise, Max is so good fundamentally because of all his experience with just playing fighting games in general, that he is light years more advanced than most of his competitors.