Glacius S3 Changes

Also, hail cancel set ups are no longer possible (on the current S3 build) and I double checked my timing and inputs. I asked Sickle if he tried them too and he said the same thing.

What do you mean by stick only?

You mean like kara cancels on block, or in combo hail->shadow shoulder, or what?

In order to really unlock his potential, youā€™re going to have to play on a fightstick rather than something like a regular Xbox controller. You need to be able to hold 2-3 separate punch buttons and release them with different timings, while simultaneously pressing kick buttons for Cold Shoulder/Puddle Punch. Itā€™s possible on a controller, but you would need to contort your hands a lotā€¦ or remap your buttons in a really weird way that might not be intuitive for combo breakers, etc.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I agree.

As soon as the announcement for Multi-hail came out, I pulled out my controller and started imagining how Id make that workā€¦ Cant really. Maybe you can hold a light and heavy hail, and launch the medium hail straight away so you can still hit other buttons butā€¦ its gonna be quite hard on a Gamepad.

As regular controller user and recent arm break accident, managing to use properly his new Hail itā€™s gonna be reaaaaaally hard for me

Iā€™ll deal with using a gamepad for multi-hail. With the kind of people I fight, Iā€™ll barely be able to safely get even two off anyway.

@TexAceNS OK, serious question: Is the dash truly useless?

I feel like Glacius got a ton of Instinct-only things that are gonna
make him really strong and really fun. However, his shatter got nerfed
pretty hard. It wasnt a projectile, it had 10 less recovery frames and
it had less indicator before it went. Now, it suffers from being avoidable through projectile invuln, super punishable on whiff and easier
to react to. I would imagine these changes would make him very binary:
annoying/limited options outside of instinct and god-like during it.

This is exactly what I am worried about, currently. I donā€™t want to seem ungrateful given that I have been hoping for buffs for awhile and the devs finally gave them to usā€“and quite a number of them at thatā€“I am just worried about the hits that his neutral game took, because he already sort of struggles without resources. But I dunno. Like I said I donā€™t play this game at a professional level, and I know things are subject to changeā€¦ and itā€™s important to keep in mind that a number of other characters got nerfs to their neutral games as wellā€¦ so I guess for now I will wait to see how he feels when S3 actually releases.

The good thing about playing a season while itā€™s in development means that everything is subject to change, as IG said, so hopefully if our worries do become true and his neutral feels weak compared to the rest of the cast, they can make tweaks where needed. But right now Iā€™m trying to remain optimistic. I think the best info we can get right now are from the people who actually played the current S3 Build at the World Cup, so hopefully more of them will chime in!

1 Like

Glacius was pretty hard to get close to his cinder, now he may be almost impossible to get close to at all with all thatā€™s been going on I fear.

But against other match-ups he should still be ok.

Still I guess I can use a bit of a change against Glacius as an opponent.

Cinder has new tools too, including ā€œfootsies infernoā€ that can be pointed up to (probably) destroy hail, and low to force Glacius to block. Getting around Shatter using trailblazer will be easier.

1 Like

itā€™s not shatter I had an issue with, generally hail is your biggest obstacle aside from Glacius air-HK generally that is the hardest thing about getting to Glacius as Cinder.

During combo. Canā€™t cancel the recovery frames with shadow moves anymore.

Sucks, but nothing terrible. Especially considering hails are much weaker now.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for sharing. What is your impresiĆ³nĀæ

Hm, what little progress Iā€™ve made towards learning Glacius includes a lot of Filthie Rich-style pseudo-rushdown grapply stuff with hail assists for cover, which I suppose is a little worse now. I guess the changes also have me worried that Glaciusā€™s overall combat design, this zoner/trap grappler thing which Iā€™ve always felt came together very elegantly, might be a little diluted by the push into pure zoning territory and the attempt to separate him from Kan-Ra. Lastly, crossup puddle punch in instinct looks kinda goofy, but that may just be an aesthetic thing, and I have that complaint about a lot of the changes, which maybe makes it admirable that theyā€™re willing to go to goofy places with some of the changes.

But overall it seems like Glacius players are getting a pretty sweet deal, and I hope it works out for them. Also hoping that I can still trap-grapple with him, despite the push towards pure zoning, if/when I do get that practice in.

The Spinal player might just have terrible reactions, but shatter still looks pretty effective. Guess my above concerns are somewhat dissuaded.

Shatter is no slower on startup, so itā€™s still pretty effective. Itā€™s just got a bit longer recovery to match the command grab that it is. Jumping shatter on reaction and getting anti-aired for the trouble was a little crazy before, to be fair. And now you can set up multiple hails to cover your shatter.

Heā€™s definitely a bit more zoney now but shatter will still definitely have its uses.

I translated ā€œthe tell comes out 4 frames soonerā€ as ā€œpeople will notice it 4 frames soonerā€, which might not be the practical truth of the matter. And Iā€™d probably have more luck covering shatter with multiple hails than anti-airing those reaction jumps (which Iā€™ve been terrible at thus far), so these seem like positive changes for me personally.