Gargos Impression Poll 📈

Let’s not let one idiot trolling (again) about the nose derail the whole thread.

I’m impressed by Gargos in several ways. First, I think his aesthetic is pretty impressive. I also think the way they incorporated his wings into his gameplay is pretty impressive.

I’m also really impressed by his move set. Lots of interesting things going on there.

Basically they have taken the worst character in the entire KI universe - boring, generic, and with a three move fighting style - and made him into a real character. Unexpectedly, I am really looking forward to trying him out.

3 Likes

Don’t let it spoil the day : >

When you have topics about opinion you’ll always find that one dude who talks down to people with differing opinions.

I see great things for an Eyedol
except for his retro. I feel with Gargos being how he is we’re not going to see a 2-headed Harryhousen-esque design but rather something equally goofy

and I wouldn’t be surprised if he either has Blanka-themed or Double Dragon-themed accessories in reference to his long lost son Billy ending.

1 Like

The guy has PSYCHO CRUSHER
(new main for me)

1 Like

Infilly you haven’t told us what you’ve voted yet :smile:

How am I claiming to be the grand king of character design, simply by scratching my head and wondering, where the Rare models are?

Anyways
 okay yes, I have some issues.
It bugs me that they changed Gargos’s face for the new model, AND for the Retro model too.

But this self-conflicting stuff
 I mean, how could the new face, and the retro face, both be different from the original face? Something died in translation there, for me.

I wouldn’t even complain if the new characters looked nothing like the originals, because the developers can take the game anywhere they want to
 but if you say you’re gonna bring back the classic things, be classy about it
 A remix is a remix.

What has some of you guys taken aback, is how I put across the the cold hard fact, that new fans really shouldn’t be weighing in on designs specifically meant to appease the classic fans.

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with most of you.

Hundreds, of thousand,s of the classic K.I. and K.I. 2 fans never even came back.

It took WAY too long for the game to be revived, most don’t even know that it is back.
Most don’t even play games anymore.

That means that I am in the minority here, I understand that, and I accept it.

LIVE UPDATE, I was WRONG

I had to go and look up what the word ‘Retro’ actually means again.
Because this can’t be co-incidence, it would have to be tri-incidence or quad-incidence, these back to back nasty surprises, when a ‘Retro Model’ is revealed.
Nasty surprises are things I go out of my way to avoid.

Definition Of Retro: Looking like or relating to styles or fashions from the past.

And now it makes sense. That’s a cruel wake-up call for me.
They don’t have to make it look like the classic model, they can simply call it ‘related’ and label it Retro.

I was clueless too. These things barely have to look like the originals, to be labeled as ‘Retro.’
My bad. Sorry for catching on so late. Signing off with a bit of fun

Retro Characters
A.K.A.
The Simply Related:
Retro Tusk? Original Tusk’s relation. The slightly challenged, slower brother. (Can’t really nitpick here, most of the faces in this game look terrible.)
Retro Gargos? Original Gargos’s relation. The estranged, super-creepy, ugly uncle. (Face again
sigh.)
Retro Jago? Jago’s foregettable relation. Beach Bikini Jago.
Retro SabreWulf? SabreWulf’s relation. A flea-bitten mangy cousin from down town.
Retro Thunder? Chief Thunder’s all american bad a$$ brother from Harley Country, South Carolina.

Signing out of these ‘Retro’ discussions permanently

Instead, I will soon be asking if the Rare models will be making their way into the game. I paid my money in anticipation of this, but no one is in any position to make any demands.

Oh, good luck with that ‘Retro’ Eyedol you guys are waiting for. :joy: :sob:

1 Like

I get all of what you mean and in some parts I agree.

The Rare models were amazing they just needed updating with texture animation etc.

But in terms of gargos I belive the original was terrible anyway (compared to the other characters imo).

For me he was way too stocky and short the textures were bad and the purple colour was terrible.

HOWEVER his face looked better than the slightly odd new retro. Ive made peace with I kinda like it but I still can’t see why the retros don’t pull more from Rares designs.

Personally I think not asking Kevin back for season 3 was a mistake.

#To everyone else:

Agree with vegan. He’s right. The nose is too big the chin is too small
 it’s not great proportions. If you drew it you would have rubbed it out lol.

Weather it matter to you is irrelivant, it’s pretty factual.

We MUST all ask ourselves why are the rare models are being over looked? Because in this cause they are better Imo

4 Likes

His appearance(s) is good, his voice is neat, his theme is GODLIKE, but his crazy moveset is what’s got me sold. Everything he does just feels frighteningly powerful just to look at, even if he’s not doing that much more damage than anyone else. Between that and his excellent customization options, I can’t wait to get my hands on him!

2 Likes

Also, his forehead is gigantic; too tall and too wide. His face is mashed down (eyes are pressed down too far onto his cheeks. Check out the proportions between the bottom of his nose / top of his upper lip on the old one vs the “new” old one. It makes him look like an old man. Ears are too big and spread out on the new iteration, making him look comedic. Old iteration ears are tucked in, giving him the look of a streamlined character.

New iteration eyes are angled down on the outward part, making him look less threatening. Original version, eyes and brows are furroughed down to nose.

I could go on, but I really don’t want to be that guy.

2 Likes

All true.

No one should be lynched for saying what they think.

I don’t hate the retro but I can see why people would find it odd.

2 Likes

I can see the differences but I stopped worrying about with the appreance of retros 2 years ago.

Also, I’m not sure if the nurb meshes could hold up that much. Also in the old Gargos models defense it was limited by technology back then. That’s why a lot of characters looked the way they did.

I also think he old models came in as digitized sprites. We don’t even know if they still have the models anymore.

2 Likes

NURBS oh my god man I am dying over here LMAO
dem non-unified-rational-basis-splines son :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yes something like that. That’s what they used to make the original models. It was the tech back then when they made it. 3D was still fairly new for games back then. and while I can see some of the flaws in the original games, I do think they deserve credit for making the most of what technology was available at the time.

1 Like

Oh I know what they are, it’s just funny to think that those were the industry standard at one time. :wink:

Now we have software that game development companies can get away with.
3Dsmax, Maya, (these are the the kind of software that does modeling and animation)
Zbrush (a modeling program a lot of big boys int he film and game industry use it for that extra detail)

and even game engines like the Unreal Engine and Unity.

Anyway back to Gargos. I do love the new design very well. The retro’s okay, but it isn’'t the worst. (that goes to Thunder)

This is how you do so:

That very quote makes it safe to assume you think you know what a good character design is when really you only state your taste.

On another note You seem to forget that you’re not the only person in here that happens to have been a fan of the oldschool KI games. And while not many of us are in here spitting the same opinion as you are or possibly even may disagree with you. That doesn’t make us any less of a fan of the series than you are.

I think you should be a bit more detailed owever. Just because not everyone dislikes everything about the retros doesn’t mean they don’t get an opinion on it.

If anything there’s things about the retros I don’t like, but if you ask me, aside from maybe a bigger nose andbeing a bit too skinny retro gargos is pretty dead on.

And while my brother has also said this a million times already: some of the retros look the way they do because of te bone rig.

Best example I can give is Riptor’s tail. her modern has the tail extensions which makes her extend her tail to, from a design standpoint; actually be useable. Since they were aiming for a somewhat more raptor like anatomy and raptors are not know to use tails as a weapon I can assume this is why she also the tail extentions.

That being said this does have a serious drawback and that goes out with her retro. The head size and tail happen simply because of the character’s rig and often times to stream line things you have to get the alternate model as close in proportions as the rest of the model. Obviously for a lot of folks that takes some getting use to. If they had made retro Riptor’s tail with no tail extensions it would obvioulsy stretch the polygons and textures which would certainly look a hell of a lot worse otherwise.

Aside from that I think the Retro Riptor look great. The only reason I am not using it however isn’t because of the look. It’s because the accessories and the color choices don’t really appeal to me that much. If they have a legitimate red color and an accessory set I was kinda hoping for I’d play that version of her more often. Thankfully I love the modern version enough to play that.

In a bunch of other cases like classic looks in MK it’s simply a matter of clothing choice and you don’t exactly have to remodel Scorpions body from the ground to get away with it.

That being said I think the retro that looks the absolute bet is Cinder. The only thing that apparently some folks made WORLDS OF BUTT HURT over that I didn’t was an extra finger but it’s barely noticeable when I’m actually playing the game and in my personal opinion it’s one of the closest to the original jut as Glacius’ retro is pretty close to KI2 Glacius save for the neck thing.

Now I’m not super fond of all the retros. Wulfs obviously doesn’t look that good and I’ll agree. And I admit Retro Fulgore could of been done better as well. But obviously those are all reasons and opinions every other critic is spitting out so need for me to put that in.

1 Like

I like the new and retro Cinder the best as well, he looks phenomenal.

I know then I saw peacock Gargos :tired_face: I wish Friday was tomorrow.

To me, Retro Glacius is fine
I mean I feel the neck thing is fairly forgivable because hey, maybe the old one would have had the same neck thing going on if they could have done better detail.

that
that doesn’t apply to Gargos. There’s no way they intended the final boss of KI2 to look like creepy uncle Loveakidtoomuch.

Well just telling you based on observations. Model is done to fit the rigging system of the character. Old Gargos had big head even though he had smaller eyes. The rig for modern Gargos doesn’t have the exact same proportions so a smaller head is a result on modern Gargos.

Either it’s one possibility you can look into. If you’re trying to rationalize why they can’t just take old Gargos and slap him in there.