Gargos Impression Poll šŸ“ˆ

Jagoā€™s retro itā€™s a good example of how being loyal to his original design can look weird.

There is nothing wrong with Jagoā€™s retro in terms of loyality to his Original KI outfit. But he looks weird becauseā€¦ the original one WAS weird. I donā€™t have a single complaint against how it was made. I simply donā€™t like his original design, so I never use it.

Given that, I was a Gargos fan since forever. I do love his new design, and I like the retro. IMO his head itā€™s fine, and other proportions could look weird. I donā€™t use retros usually, Iā€™m more fond of the new designs, but this doesnā€™t mean I dislike retros. Some characters have really nice Retros I like to use time to time. Tusk, Kim, Riptor, Aganos, TJ, and more. And Gargos is going to be one of them. And that means something to me, because I reaaaaally like his new design.

3 Likes

Nostalgia goggles are a hell of a drug.

New Gargos is amazing.

7 Likes

thats saved for ultimates if they ever returnā€¦

Nor sure thatā€™s the whole truth marbel the fact that this and the new one are comparable is MASSIVE credit to Rare this games 18 plus years old lol

3 Likes

Thatā€™s our issue - even though I do agree that the old models were ahead of their time (but nowhere near as good as the new ones, which is where we divide); itā€™s not a fact, itā€™s an opinion.

BTW that bottom comparison is blurry in the 2016 photo, so thatā€™s pretty much right out in terms of trying to pin anything as ā€œfactā€.

1 Like

Reminds me of the creature that sleeps on the womanā€™s stomach in the famous painting

1 Like

Lol of course itā€™s blury thatā€™s all I could find lol hes not out yet.

For me new gargos retro has:
A big nose
A massive forehead
Sunken in cheeks
Sticking out ears
And a very very small jaw.

I donā€™t hate these things but for me I prefer the stronger look of the original.

And I never said it was a FACT that is was better did I? Lol I said the fact that they ware even comparable was a huge complement to rare

Those models are over 18 years old if anything there should be absolutely no doubt what looks better.

No one looked at Jill in game resident evil 1 model and said ooo Iā€™m not sure itā€™d as good as resident evil 6 lol.

Itā€™s obviously down to ppls opinion and I never questioned that mr :smile:

1 Like

Yes yes I understood - I was in a round-about way asserting that they arenā€™t really comparable. Not that this is a slight against what Rare managed to do, not at all - the technological limitations they had makes their work absolutely great for its time, even ahead of it - but in my opinion itā€™s silly to compare the two because in my eyes they are not comparable.

So you saying itā€™s a fact that they are comparable was what I had called into question. Sorry for not making that clear.

In my opinion, looking terrifying and intimidading is what it spells to me. Which works out fine.

Lol ok marbels!

Iā€™m not sure what your looking at though :wink:

See this for me is the same time frame PS1 vs This Gen.

These two are not comparable but Imo these too are:

In other news itā€™s funny that DH seemed to have a more classic look for Gargos than what IG created

1 Like

Well everyone has an opinion about that. I personally prefer his retro version by far, and indeed itā€™s so far the best retro they made (so close to the original).

As for retro Gargos, I agree with 90% of people. His body and general skin is perfect, but his face is awful. Looks like a gobelin or an imp. Forehead is to big, as is his nose and ears, and jaws is too thin.

i know people that ONLY use this retro modelā€¦

my only problem with Jago original is that there isnā€™t enough texture work.

original costumes should IMO boast new shading textures etc. some of them lke orchids can just look a bit primary coloured and flat.

All of these comparison shots are between Gargos artwork from 1996 and Gargosā€™s in game model from the current game. So before we get too nuts talking about the brilliant achievement of Rare in making the models letā€™s acknowledge that anyone can draw a great picture - regardless of the time and technology.

Yes, the Rare folks made 3D models and animated them, but not in real time. So itā€™s an apples to oranges comparison. It would be like taking a digitized Sprite from MK 2 and saying it looks more like a real person than a model from MK X. Of course it does, itā€™s a photograph of a real person. The Lara Croft comparison would be more appropriate if you took the CG box art and did the same thing.

As always, Gargosā€™s retro contains many feature by feature translations. People are complaining about his big forehead, but the forehead is nearly identical. Itā€™s the rest of his face that is smaller and it gives him an obviously more round head than the oval from the original. His jaw is less prominent and his nose may be bigger, but if it is itā€™s only bigger in comparison to his smaller face. The other element that people are leaving out is his much more prominent cheekbones, which further de-emphasize the horsey chin from the original.

So yes, he looks different. Not nearly as different as, for example, orchids face in KI 1 versus KI 2. Or Glacius between KI1 and KI 2.

Regardless, here we have "facegate " 4 or 5. Cinders mask, Kim Wu, Tusk, Gargos. We can all look at close up high res artwork that you arenā€™t going to see except between rounds and criticize their faces. Or we could just get over it and move on.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s OG Gargos in-Game:

Looks like Bat-Boy ate some roids.

4 Likes

Yall can say what u want. lol

its not about graphics its about preparations. (specially of the face)

Rares work was AWSOME!!! Kevin bayliss should have won an Grammy or something lol

its the difference between apocalypse in the cartoon Vs apocalypse in the new movieā€¦ its not bad! but they ARE comparable and there IS a difference.

Original Gargos was all about the eyes, ears and solid jaw. The new one not so much!

NOW

image is from in game

Supreme victory (less compressed more animated) But still the same model

1 Like

Sorry, Wanda. Images from cutscenes and FMV from the game are not the same as ā€œin the gameā€ images. The actual, during the fight Gargos that @Marbledecker posted is ā€œin game.ā€ It is certainly closer to the modern retro than most of the FMV shots. You can see how prominent his ears are and his face is not nearly so long looking.

The point of all this is not to ā€œdefendā€ the retro. People are free to not like it. But these discussions always seem to be based on the assumption that the original was godly and that there is no reasonable way to deviate from that without ruining it. So if we donā€™t like the retro it isnā€™t because of taste itā€™s because ā€œIG did it wrong!ā€ I donā€™t think you can make that argument.

4 Likes

Moreover, the original wasnā€™t ā€œgodlyā€. The only personality he had was farting on you when you didnā€™t end his first lifebar. He was grossly disproportionate, like they designed the model, realized the character was too small, and just scaled him out by a factor of 1.6. Look at his head in-game, for Chrissakes; itā€™s like Barry Bonds. This new one actually looks eight feet tall and has a distinct playstyle other than ā€œhigh priorityā€. If I wanted original Gargos, Iā€™d play it and watch Gary Goodridgeā€™s highlight reel in the background on loop.

Before Charles Atlasā€¦

Afterā€¦

1 Like

Design and Visuals- Perfect
Moves- Perfect
Shadow moves- Perfect
Outro and Intro- Perfect
Voice and sound effects- Perfect
Music- Average ( just not feeling it)
Accessories- Perfect
Retro design and Accessories- Perfect
Ultra Combo- Perfect
Overpowered- I donā€™t judge yet
Could you see him in your top 3- oh yeah!

Watching others play him via early access-Aweful

1 Like

Aww cā€™mon - the streams and early tech videos were awesome. Usually we only get a reveal stream - this time we got a whole weekend full of streams.

Yeah I know but Iā€™m going to be one of those ā€œI want him nowā€ people this time. Seriously never been so hype for a character. Dreams about my CISSP exam and Gargosā€¦I want them to stop. Lol!

2 Likes