Exhibition is infested with jerks!

Don’t go outside, there’s people out there!

I had a horrible time last night - I felt like I got setup and walked into a trap. :’(

A friend of mine said he had someone he wanted me to fight so he could show them how good my Aganos was. As it turns out, his so-called “friend” was a top 32 player named Emperor Prime who knew how to effectively use block. The guy was so good at blocking everything so quickly I couldn’t touch him. For well over 60 minutes, I lost every single fight. Even worse? It was in a lobby and I was lagging like crazy. I lost to his Maya, his Shago, his Cinder, his Orchid, his Omen, his ARIA, and his Jago. At best, I could keep him from getting a supreme victory in some cases. He knew the Aganos matchup so well, he coulld counter everything. He knew to neutral jump or tech when I tried to grab; he knew how to block high except for when I tried to stomp the ground or had the peacekeeper. He knew how to punish certain moves. He knew how to mixup his combos to lock me out. He knew how and when to counter-break. And on and on and on… He read me like an open book. He had a solution for everything I did, bar none - and believe me, after 60 minutes, I tried everything.

I knew something was up when I received 10+ messages before I even accepted the so-called invitation and hated it when they continued sending me 10+ more messages after I gave up out of sheer frustration. My opponent was saying things like “where’d you go” or “I’m not that good” (yeah, right - if you’ve got a top 32 star and can stop everything I do in my tracks, you’re not not good). My friend even berrated me after the fact for making him look like a liar too. Some friend, huh?

Have you guys ever had fights like this that simply seemed impossible? I swear it felt like the guy was a Kyle-level AI with auto-block everything turned on - I have NEVER seen anyone who could be so defensive and predict my every move before. I swear some people have scary, inhuman reflexes… :frowning:

To my opponent’s credit, he did mute his mic for me so I didn’t have to hear all of the horrifying static and feedback when he 1st joined the lobby, so at least there was that (hey, I’ll take my victoiries wherever I can). :slight_smile:

I still blocked him though - the whole ordeal was just way too much. Nobody can take a beating like that and have fun.

I hate being set up because people think I’m really good (well, I am, but I’m not top 32-level good). Don’t ever do that to me.

Sometimes what you have to do when someone has godlike defense that you can’t crack is, instead of trying to open them up, go on the defensive and wait for them to leave themselves open. Granted this requires you to have half decent defense yourself so that they don’t open you up and a decent understanding of where the gaps in character’s pressure are, but as long as you practice a defensive playstyle you should be fine, heck Aganos probably has it easier with this tactic since he doesn’t have to worry about frame traps when he’s chunked.

1 Like

I tried that; ironically enough, he would immediately go on the offensive and open me up anyways because he knew my defense wasn’t as good as his - and he NEVER allowed me time to rechunk once I lost them if he could stop it… :’(

That’s how i felt vs you gg

Sometimes you just fight guys who are better than you. I’m not sure I really follow all the business with your friend etc. but it doesn’t seem like he’s much of a friend. Not sure why anyone would take great pains to set you up with someone else to fight or why there would be all the drama with the pro star player claiming to not be that good. But once you are there you do your best and you win or lose. If you aren’t having fun, then say “ggs, see you around.”

1 Like

GG, how often do you watch tournament footage for KI (offline majors, online events like the 8 bit beatdown, etc)? If you don’t watch it too often, why not? If you do watch it, do you ever play against people who do well in those events and how do you fare?

If I’m not mistaken, you also have a Top 32 pro star, correct GG? At base, I don’t actually think your friend did anything super bad or tried to set you up. He met an Aganos who was pretty good and better than him, and then set up a fight between another Top 32 player who he knew. In KI ranked, that star is absolutely a badge of skill - pretty much the only one after the Killer tag itself. I tend to roughly assume that anyone and everyone with a star is an absolute killer, and always go into such fights ready to pull out all the stops. Over time I’ve beaten quite a few Top 32 players and have realized that they really aren’t all created equal, but if I’d just lost to all of them they probably would have stayed in that vague, untouchable “better than me” category. I think your friend put you there, and then put you up against someone who he also has in that space, thinking you two would be a good match for one another. I really doubt there was any ill intent behind it.

That top 32 star that I had was from a glitch - it wasn’t earned. They fixed said glitch too, so that star is no longer there. The best I’ve ever done is the #95 spot on the leaderboards…

:joy: stop it lol we need to have some sets again, want to see how much you and I learned since our last sets.

Sure. We can soon. You’d probably beat me, I haven’t Played a lot due to finals.

Still? Dang, I finished mine - good luck. Anyway just let me know when you are free and prepared. Don’t want to play unless you are at your best!

Sure. I’ll let you know. And I’ll work on some tech I’m trying to develop! :slight_smile:

You were avenged earlier tonight. He seemed to have a problem blocking overhead a few times, but mostly I just used the divekick to dodge and whiff punish his attacks.

2 Likes

Watching that brought a smile to my face. Thanks! :kissing_heart:

i mute all my opponents. the one time i didnt, he was shouting and screaming at me because of my hard knockdown set ups with fulgore. my eyes were like this O_O makes me wonder how many people ive gotten to react that way. alot of poor sportsmanship has been present as of late, specifically in ranked. i think every other match i was getting teabagged or taunt spammed mid fight. think alot of high school little johnny’s are picking up the game

Beat the living snot outta them. Makes them rage 10x worse lol.
I just mute as soon as it finds a match. So they can shout their little hearts out

I got all of those including the Star Trek one. :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting that the music takes a while to recover from the shadow move :smiley: and interesting match by the way.