Eh Tu Brute?

I’m calling BS on MS/IG claiming they have to keep KI tamer than they really have to in order to keep the teen rating.

Why would they do that? It makes no sense - especially since they had ALREADY programmed the stabbing into the game, why would they then remove it and blame the ESRB. This makes no sense whatsoever. If they didn’t want the impale in the game they could have just not programmed it in. They programmed a creepy, undead ghost girl, dressed in rags and moving at unnatural angles in a truly disturbing fashion and gave her a naginata to slice and stab you with. They could have just introduced a J-pop princess with fuzzy cat paws and bunny ears if they wanted to keep the game more family friendly. A much simpler and far more likely explanation is the ESRB told them to take it out.

This is the kind of random, illogical and pointless conspiracy finding complaint that makes me sometimes wish the internet didn’t exist. Pretty fuzzy thinking…

1 Like

It’s not illogical or pointless conspiracy mongering. This type of thing actually happens a lot. Take the film industry for example. Quite often you see directors complaining that the theatrical version of the movie they made was not the same movie that they original shot. Execs from the studio force them to make changes and/or cut stuff out.

Why is it so hard to believe this type of thing doesn’t happen in the video game industry? Higher ups at Microsoft could certainly be telling the devs to keep it tame and remove things they feel may be too violent.

2 Likes

Ok, where is people getting the idea that people wants massive gore??? I believe Ki should be rated M, because it lets the developers free of many restrictions, like batman arkham knight. for the people who actually want gore, think about ki’s identity, of course it separates itself from Mk because of combos, but if there was gore and newcomers arrive, they will blatantly say that Ki is a mk rip off. My point is not making the game ULTRA-VIOLENT, but satisfying and make it work with some imagination

I don’t think there are many folks actually calling for mass quantities of blood and gore in KI.

There’s actually already blood everywhere. People just don’t notice it because we are desensitized and it is just a decoration.

Considering KI is in absolutely no way similar to a Nintendo game, you have no ground to stand on at all.

Show me the impalement, or don’t, I don’t really care, and it’s really not important. We’re talking about a second or so of animation in a fighting game. I love plenty of blood and gore in my shooters and cut-em-up games, but I play fighters to FIGHT, and KI brings fluid animation, fun characters, solid mechanics and good online play, those are the important qualities for a fighting game. When I really want to watch my character messily saw somebody in half, I’ll reach for Gears, not KI.

1 Like

whatever. I guess Iron Galaxy are wise enough to know that if they “nerf” the violence of the game, its going to suck so hard… But i know its not the case for Killer Instinct.

I don’t care about blood and gore. Either have it or don’t - it makes no difference to me. What I do care about, however, is consistency. The simple fact that you can see Fulgore’s blades, but not Hisako’s makes the game inconsistent. Either have the blades of both characters showing through or neither. With the way it is now, it looks like (to me at least) like someone made a mistake somewhere (even if it was purposefully done). IMO, it’s just poor form.

As has been said, the ESRB made them change or because they deemed the impalement with the Naginata too much. Adam apparently asked them about how Fulgores throw was Ok and this wasn’t and they replied that with Fulgores throw, they see it as the blades are actually behind the opponent, and he’s lifting them with his hand, not actually impaling them.

In that case, the ESRB is filled with idiots, as they have always been…

I think it’s sillier to have giant death dealing weapons in MK and watch an opponent get his face shot up with a gun at close range and brush it off and get back up. Keep the rating at teen, you can beat an opponent in creative ways at T without excessive gore. KI always walked that fine line.

We’ve known this for a long-■■■ time XD

Usually it’s because to them “M” means no holds barred. I remember a few extremists from the very past forums during season wanted KI to be “unapologetic”, “Gritty” and well you get the idea. It just sounded like wanted MK tone wise. Though KI was never like such in the first place.

Now I love my blood and gore, but MK’s got me for that kind of fix. If I want diverse characters, uniqe character designs and mechanics, good and fun as hell combos and butt clinching situations of challenge: KI’s got me covered. Oh also music, and hopefully Ultimates to make my options in how to defeat my foe more satisfying.

Yeah, I’m kinda wondering where the thread title came from. Who was betrayed here?

As for the inconsistency, I think it’s been explained. Is it the best explanation? It’s debateable, but it was good enough for the ESRB, I suppose. So why does it really matter?

As for the gore stuff… I can live without it. People that feel MK is a better game because of the gore, you’re entitled to your opinion, but I personally disagree. It may help sell more copies, and that’s great for NRS, but in terms of the quality of the game? Doesn’t improve things for me in the least and it never did.

If anything, it gave MK haters a launching point to argue the sole reason for MK’s success; saying it wasn’t actually a good game, it was a gimmick, a one trick pony etc.

From the beginning, I enjoyed the characters, the gameplay, the story, the secrets, the unlockables, the many modes, the way it reinvents itself, the fresh ideas it brings… Somewhere outside of the top 20 was the jaw-dropping violence and gore. Always been that way for me, though I might be in the minority there.

2 Likes

I’m not a pro-gore person either - MKX actually makes me a bit queezy at times. My reasons for making this thread are in my last post, above. As for the thread title, it had more to do with stabbing rather than betrayal.

Ah cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don’t get queezy, but by now, it’s kinda like “really? Why…” MK had shocking gore back in the day, but I don’t think that it really went in this sort of Eli Roth direction of gross out gore. Guesing that’s what they feel they need to do to surprise people in 2015, but I can’t really say I’m a fan of that, though I’d personally be fine if they did away with fatalities all together, but I’m probably in the minority there.

Anyways, sorry for derailing your thread, man!

The ESRB makes calls on ratings based on factors that are blurry and borderline arbitrary. Unfortunately, MS/IG have to work within their parameters if they wish to keep the rating they choose is right for the game.

In order for you to understand why it’s OK for Fulgore and not Hisako, you’d have to work with or be able to read the minds of the ESRB Committee on All Things Naughty™. I don’t imagine it’s very fun.

Next,i want to talk about one more thing, has the esrb from the past 20 yrs changed ??? Employment issue is a more logical sense, like for example , ki1arcade=M due to cinematics, but ki1 snes=T, why i bringt his up? Well addressing to the current stabbing controversey in this game, ki snes has Stabbing and its t rated, this new ki has “stabbing” but toned downed alot. Makes me think ift he esrb was the ones to really stop this?? My theory is that esrb might of passed this as T…But just barely, so MS made te call to tone it down so it keeps it in the mid between the line of T…^to^…M thoughts?

I mean they had killer finishers, just not over killing it