Eagle: An Actual In-Depth Gameplay Discussion

Great post, you sure took him to school! haha wooooo

I’m telling you guys, eagle is kelvin aka rushdown glacius. That’s what I’m guessing at least lol.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m thinking, if not, I still want rushdown glacious lol

1 Like

Wasn’t trying to take anyone to school, just an attempt to backup my previous post. I don’t want anyone thinking I’m okay with negative stereotypes because I’m not, I appreciate when things are sensitive to different groups of people whether they be races, genders, religions, what have you but I start to get concerned when situations arise that cause people to be overly cautious so they don’t offend anyone.

I’m not saying that’s whats going on with KI at all but I honestly can’t see the racially insensitive factors in Thunder’s classic outfit. Again, some of his voice lines were mildly offensive in the old game but that wouldn’t carry over into this game. The only things remotely Native American about his original look was some ornamental feathers on his head and his weapons of choice. The rest was a quasi-Borderlands Bandit looking guy with camo pants, a huge belt buckle and a little paint on his eyes. I totally love Thunder’s modern look and I’m glad that they went the extra mile to make sure he was authentic as possible, it really shows as one of the best designs of season one.

Anywho, I don’t really want to derail the thread any further with talk of what’s morally right and wrong with the world and everything, I just know that Thunder’s retro could have been a lot better.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right and I agree with you too.

I think if Eagle does become playable (which is likely) we can expect him to be a mix of both Thunder and Fulgore I can totally see that happening in a way.

2 Likes

I’ll only respond with this, as I don’t want to derail the thread and you’re more than entitled to your opinion, but I just wanted to point a few things out.

His old costume was a Native American stereotype by simple virtue of the fact that it wasn’t historically accurate. They took a dude, slapped some paint and feathers on him and gave him some gibberish war cries. That’s stereotyping.

Yes, and that’s fine, but that’s an awfully small sample size to draw a conclusion from, and is it at least possible that there might be some confirmation bias in there? Either way, some not being offended by something doesn’t automatically make that something not offensive to others or simply not offensive in general.

You’re talking a historically accurate depiction, as consulted by actual historians, versus what your niece and nephew, who are children, have to say on the subject? We’re talking facts versus emotion. Sorry, but facts win every time. At least they should.

Not really, and this is important, because I don’t really get the premise here that the only reason why they did this was to not offend people. Couldn’t they just prefer to do something accurately without having the PC police force them in to doing it that way? Why is that not an option for them? Why do you immediately jump to PC police made them do it or they only did this to avoid offending people?

I’m pretty sure Adam’s said on multiple occasions that they simply didn’t like how the old Thunder looked and sounded and they wanted to do something more accurate this time around and that should be their choice as developers.

I’m not trying to jump on you here, man. I enjoy reading your posts. I just think you might be making assumptions on how all of this played out and maybe, possibly relying on a small sample size to reinforce your own, pre-existing opinion.

I mean
 Do you think the Washington NFL football team’s name is offensive? A lot of Native Americans don’t. Does that mean it’s not offensive? Well, the team’s been sued several times by tribes going all the way back to the 1950s and the fact of the matter is that the word is a historical racial pejorative. The only argument Dan Snyder, the team’s owner seems to have against it is history, as in “it’s been that way decades, we have a rich history and shouldn’t change it.”

Thunder looked that way before, so even if it might or might not offend others, even if it is a collection of stereotypes, are you saying MS/IG should just ignore that just because of history?

[quote=“Iago407, post:27, topic:12863, full:true”]His old costume was a Native American stereotype by simple virtue of the fact that it wasn’t historically accurate. They took a dude, slapped some paint and feathers on him and gave him some gibberish war cries. That’s stereotyping. [/quote]Stereotype or not, was it offensive? Is Mcree in Overwatch a negative stereotype because he’s a gun-slinging cowboy with a metallic cyborg arm? I mean he’s not historically accurate, so that should mean they’re perpetuating a stereotype right?

[quote=“Iago407, post:27, topic:12863, full:true”]
You’re talking a historically accurate depiction, as consulted by actual historians, versus what your niece and nephew, who are children, have to say on the subject? We’re talking facts versus emotion. Sorry, but facts win every time. At least they should.[/quote]My sister’s half of the family is steeped in tradition, their house is filled with Native American artifacts, they are active with their tribe and there’s even a homemade totem poll next door at Grandma’s house that the family carved together. They’ve even got a set of headdresses that they take to ceremonies on occasion. These kids know what’s up, as far as my family’s reaction to Thunder some of them seemed to think that Thunder’s modern look was more of a stereotype than the mad-max original design. A guy with tomahawks and a bear on his head is a more stereotypical native american than a surgically implanted feather mohawk. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just looking at things from my own perspective like you said and yeah it seems like the new KI has gone a little out of its way to make sure its not offensive. (not that its a bad thing) The game is rated T instead of M, the “sex appeal” has been completely whitewashed what with the refusal of things like Orchid’s costume as well as Kim’s. The Thunder issue we’ve been discussing. At times I look at the game and I wonder why its been toned back, the originals weren’t super gory but they had some graphic finishes, they had instances of Orchid flashing her top to kill someone, the female characters were “sexy” for what they were. They had people being shot, impaled (now due to ratings we couldn’t even have Hisako’s blade pass through a torso), burned alive, it was a somewhat brutal experience on top of the lighthearted comedy act. The game has been toned down significantly in some regards.

I think get why they’ve done what they’ve done and I really don’t want to sound like some proponent of sleaze and stereotyping, because I’m not I just don’t really like censoring for the sake of it. I love Killer Instinct, I love Chief Thunder, I love Orchid, I love everything about the game. I just want it to be all it can be and I don’t want anyone to have to give second thoughts to design choices to uphold and maintain the non-offensive package. In this day and age people are offended by everything, I guess I just kinda get tired of hearing about it. :sweat:

1 Like

To get back on topic, I really do think that Eagle would make a good “shago” style character though. Like the reworked characters they put in the character poll. Some things like Fulgore’s lasers would obviously have to go as would the teleport but I think his projectile could stay, turn it into an Eagle of some sort. I think the lunging dash could stay too, I mean Jago flies across the screen to kick you I’m sure Eagle could float/fly using the power of wind or something to connect with those moves. He could keep the uppercut too, really he could play more like classic Fulgore if you think about it.

1 Like

LOL, I should never say that I’ll only comment on things once. :slight_smile: I’ll leave this here, but how about if we want to continue the conversation, we take it to PM? If not, no problem, we can just let it go here.

You don’t think there’s a difference between an ethnic stereotype and a historical stereotype? Really?[quote=“xCrimsonLegendx, post:28, topic:12863”]
My sister’s half of the family is steeped in tradition, their house is filled with Native American artifacts, they are active with their tribe and there’s even a homemade totem poll next door at Grandma’s house that the family carved together. They’ve even got a set of headdresses that they take to ceremonies on occasion. These kids know what’s up, as far as my family’s reaction to Thunder some of them seemed to think that Thunder’s modern look was more of a stereotype than the mad-max original design. A guy with tomahawks and a bear on his head is a more stereotypical native american than a surgically implanted feather mohawk.
[/quote]

Again though
 That’s still an incredibly small sample size. I’m sure your family’s awesome, no doubt, but they’re not the end-all / be-all on deciding what’s offensive and what’s not to entire race of people, regardless of how steeped in their own culture they happen to be. That’s why I brought up the Washington NFL team. Some native americans aren’t the least bit offended by the name, while others are.

Gone out of it’s way or just made some conscious choices? I don’t think they have to do backflips to make characters not be stereotypes ore sex objects. If it’s between this and the ludicrous floatation devices and objectification in Street Fighter V, then I think MS / IG made the right decision. But really, that’s just me.

I still think Orchid looks attractive. Same goes for Sadira and Kim Wu for that matter. They’re still showing some skin, just as the guys are, but they also look stylish and you can tell that was the priority. They don’t have to have giant breasts popping out of their shirts, bouncing all over the screen to be “sexy.” Man, it’s 2016, can’t we stretch the definition of that word a little bit?

Honestly, I don’t think Orchid, Kim Wu or Maya for that matter were dressed overly provocative back in the day, except for maybe Orchid’s butt floss, so I’m not sure where you’re getting that the sex appeal was white-washed. They opted to not go with the butt floss and honestly, is that a big deal?

I don’t get why this is censorship though if they’re making the conscious effort to go in a different direction. They’re not being forced. If they want Thunder to look more traditional in terms of a real life tribe that they actually consulted with, why is that censorship? If they decide that they want the women in the game to not look like the blow-up dolls that DOA or SFV have, why is that censorship?

Now if Adam came in here and said “sorry guys, we really wanted to make the chicks in this game super sexy, but the ESRB and the higher ups shut us down,” okay, then that would be censorship. But if the people making the design decisions are, themselves, deciding to go in a different direction creatively? I’m sorry, but that’s not censorship. That’s creative freedom.

Just as I’d never assume to tell Capcom that they need to tone the women down, I don’t get why people presume to impose on MS / IG’s creative choices by telling them that they need to have more T&A.

1 Like

@Iago407 @xCrimsonLegendx
I know you two have already been considering this, but please take it to PM’s. I made this thread to discuss gameplay, and specifically stated in the OP that I want to avoid any other sorts of discussion that don’t directly effect it.
If you’re going to talk about ideas for the gameplay Eagle might have, please do. If you want to discuss anything else, take it somewhere else.

Now, back to gameplay.
We’ve had ideas thrown around for a Shago style character that uses the gameplay of a base character and jumps off.
We’ve had people express that they’d want the character to have a completely unique move-set without any derivatives, which is also a valid request.
Then Adam came in and introduced the possibility that Eagle is no longer what they may seem, and the entity Glacius retrieved may be vastly different, with Vlad implying he’s “rushdown Glacius” from the poll.

Let’s jump off from here and keep going.

Don’t worry, I’m not going to discuss it any more here, sorry. Adam’s reply just kinda fanned the flames a little and got me going. :sweat_smile:

I really do prefer the offshoot of Fulgore idea the most though.

2 Likes

Sorry man! Won’t happen again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is exactly why I don’t like this new KI as much as the original. KI3 is just missing a few things that made the original great and memorable.

Edit: Did I say something offensive?

1 Like

I’ve been doing some thinking about potential gameplans for Eagle and suddenly it hit me:
When @TempusChaoti posed the question “what did they find?” I began thinking of ways this could apply outside the box of what we’re thinking for characters.

Eagle being locked up in an Ultratech facility can’t have been a pleasant existence. Fed through tubes and kept in stasis as his brain is warped and replicated as the AI for a killing machine, seemingly doomed to suffer at the hands of these people for the rest of my life.
His spirit would grow restless, as his body craves freedom, his tongue seeks for real food, and his faith in his fellow man degrades. Eventually, he breaks down, and goes forth with inhuman determination, seeking to fulfill his wander lust, the satisfy his hunger, to attain vengeance against those who had brought him such unbearable suffering

Kinda like a wendigo

This could open up a ton of interesting avenues in story telling, and it would add depth to what we consider the game plan. For example, rushdown-Glacius may share a similar combat style, but not necessarily appearance (much like Sharkman TJ).

Let’s think of how “Kelvin” could fit this Wendigo’d Eagle
 A charge akin to cold shoulder, long lanky limbs to imitate ice lance and the jump kicks, and a tool kit that befits Glacius style up-close pressure to an enhanced degree.

That sort of game plan could work well with a lanky creature amalgamated from hate and the stench of death, or a lost spirit engulfed in rage to the Nth degree.

1 Like

I made a post time ago about how could be his gameplay:

Gonna copy paste it here to mantain the discuss here

Bionic-Spiritual brawler

Arquetype: Aerial Grappler-Ground brawler

Eagle was an exceptional warrior prior being held captive by Ultratech. He excells both in wrestling and boxing. Since he was captured and Ultratech experimented with him in order to learn how to create “Arianna”, a human vessel for Aria, they implanted mechanical augmentations and experimented with Glacius DNA on him. As a “perfect human specimen”, unlike Cinder or Arianna’s project clones, his body doesn’t rejects Glacius’ DNA, so he doesn’t mutate into abominations. Using his warrior skills, his spirital connection to his weyekin(the Eagle), bionic augmentations, and DNA modification, Eagle is the definitive warrior.

Appareance: Eagle has bionic augmentations for some parts of his body, like his feets and hands. These are not fully replaced limbs, he has metallic parts in his knuckles for example. His stance it’s similar to Nash, from SFV. His long hair covers part of his face, similar to Hisako. He has holes in his skin, and sometimes they pour steam smoke from them. A pair of wires are hanging from his back.

Ground movement: Average-low walkspeed, good backdash(not as good, but similar to Cinder’s), long reaching but somewat slow forward dash(good for getting close against knocked down opponents, but unsafe against an already standing character), can be cancelled into jump(similar to Maya).

Jumping: He has a jumping arc similar to Jago.

Normals to watch:
Eagle punch normals have great range and are pretty safe, being his forward HP a “grab”. It works as a normal hit, it’s blockable, but if it connects, Eagle deals a second hit, staggering the opponent. Only does this against grounded characters. His kicks are better suited for anti airing, being HK a very angled up kick which launches, potentially leading to an air combo. His low attacks doesn’t have much range.

His jumping attacks have all great hitbox and have a lot active frames, but have better hitbox for air to air situations than air to ground. Mk its his cross up attack of choice.

Regular throw: Eagle performs a spinebuster
Back throw: Performs a lariat similar to Hugo’s, then he does an elbow drop over the knocked opponent

Specials:

Imperial Drop: Command grab. Differents effects with different buttons.
-LP is his normal command grab. Similar to Thunder’ M call of the earth in terms of range and speed. Performs a power drop.
-M version its a ground to air grab, similar to Mira’s. Jumps a bit, grabs the opponent, and performs a piledriver.
-H version its also a ground to air grab, but Eagle stays grounded, grabs the opponent, slams him in the ground, and launches him again to the air. Eagle can jump for an air combo, similar to Sadira after her regular throw. Deals minor damage.
-Shadow version: enhanced L version. More range and damage, causes hard knockdown, 3 frame throw, can work as reversal, invulnerable until recovery, similar to Omen’s Demonic despair in terms of invulnerability. It’s his better wake up option, but loses to airborne or throw invulnerable opponents, and needs meter.

Air imperial drop: Air version of the previous grab. Varies depending of the button pressed:
L-Performs a piledriver and causes knockdown. If performed following a breakable hit, cashes potential damage.
M-Recapture. Gets the opponent to the ground and can be continued with a combo.
H-Grabs the opponent and takes it to the ground. Eagle then sits over him. He can then use all his punch buttons to hit the opponent, similar to Gargos devil divide. Doesn’t cash out potential damage, but each aditional hit deals good damage. If 3 are landed, causes hard knockdown, otherwise soft knockdown.
-shadow: enhanced L version. Omega ender: its his most damaging attack. Has really good range and its very hard to hit him out of it. Deals a lot of damage in a combo, but its damage its insane out of it. Similar to Kim’s dragon kick second hit without the first.

Eagle’s talon: long range special, wind kick style. Combo starter and carry linker. Wall splat ender. Hits overhead. M and H are unsafe. Jumps a long but low jump hitting with his arms.

Air Eagle’s talon: air only. L angles down-forward, m travells straight forward, H up-forward. Can be canceled into Spiritual Flight on hit or block.

Thousand needles: Eagle unleash a flurry of fast punches, similar to Dudley’s machinegun blow. Eagle doesn’t move from where he is. Very similar to Omen’s flurry kicks, but with his fists. Shadow version hits 10 times, but if one button it’s held, Eagle will delay the hit, similar to Hisako’s combo trait. Useful to fish lockouts. Damage linker, launcher ender.

Call of the ancestors(3P): Similar to Thunder’s CoTS, Eagle infuses hiself with the power of his weyekin. This allows him to do a single 8 direction dash in the air called “Spiritual flight”. The dash can be done after an air attack(on hit or block), and after the dash, he can do another attack/special. This allows him to do “air combos”. He can store 2 of these, represented as wind around his body. With 2, the wind it’s bigger.
Example of a combo with 2 charges against an airborne opponent:
J.HK->Spiritual flight->J.Mp xx H Eagle’s talon->Spiritual flight->J.Mk xx Imperial Drop

Instinct: Eagle has two instincts instead of one! But he only can use one at time, depending of when he uses it.
-If he activates instinct while airborne, he is infused by his weyekin. He can perform up to 3 Spiritual flights in a row, recovering all of them once he lands. This can lead to scary and long air combos, and great mobility. This instinct it’s clearly suited for offensive approach
-If he activates instinct while grounded, his bionic augmentations gets an overcharge, and his DNA modifications with Glacius DNA appears. Glacius could control ice and water, Cinder fire, and Eagle electricity. He speeds up his walkspeed, and he gets a new attack:
Overcharge(3k): Eagle begins to generate electric waves from his body, similar to Blanka from SF series. It works as reversal, antiair, and wins against almost any normal attack. Safe on block, can be held to generate a bigger electric pulse, otherwise has poor range.

If he activates instinct while airborne, he has better offensive tools, and if he activates it grounded, he get’s better defensive tools.

Gameplan:

Eagle has great control of the air in front of him, with two command grabs leading to damage or a combo oportunity, and great air to air tools. He can deal great amounts of damage easily in these situations, and has great preassure in close quarters thanks to a fast multi hitting special, a command grab, and an overhead. In his optimal spot, staying grounded it’s a fast way to get grabbed, and jumping it’s very risky. A good use of Call of the ancestors can lead to hard to break air combos, and having two different instincts gives him more tools to face each situation.

Still, Eagle has weakness. Albeit he can control very well the space in front of him, he struggles when the rival it’s over his head. His anti airs doesn’t cover that position, and his wake up options are not great. He needs meter or grounded instinct to defend himself properly, and he is somewat weak to zoning. Characters like Glacius or Kan-Ra are really hard to get in

2 Likes

Just at least give Eagle a “phoenix” projectile with 3 different variants that either works like S1 Fulgore’s laser or Fulgore’s regular projectile. Give him a unique meter that could work something like Fulgore’s pip meter, but to a lesser degree
 Lastly, give him classic Thunder’s dp move, so that it totally doesn’t function as a dp, but does still have a purpose as-- a combo ender or a whiff punish move

Those are my requests
 I can’t wait to see this guy in action

Why was this flagged? I’m not saying this new KI is bad, I love it. It’s probably better than the original. I like both games to be honest.