Dragon Ball FighterZ

I’ve gotten in several lobbies, but not one match. Trial is the only action I’ve gotten all day.

I guess I was lucky enough to have gotten frequent matches on both Xbox and Ps4.

I got 6 matches in the last 15min of the beta.

I managed to get about 5 matches online in east coast lobby 1. Got beat all 5 times sadly so went to hop on KI after the beta ended annnnnd I’ve got one match in 30 mins…

1 Like

Beta just went fully offline for me. No more trial matches. I don’t see how they could possibly have collected much metric data given how poorly this seemed to have been executed.

I will say though, the four matches I got yesterday were pretty smooth, but that lobby system seems kind of…pointless.

I woke up at 4am to play the beta one last time, checked here and saw the words “Xbox” and “problems”, and promptly turned back over and went to sleep. :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah the struggle is real to get a lobby and when I do get a battle it often kicks me out. However when I actually have a fight, it’s fun…

well once you finally get used to the controls.
Yeah not gonna lie. My first few games was bad overall. I was getting trounced left and right because I didn’t know what to do. I barely had chances to practice a character let alone all three on my team while my opponents seemed to know them like the back of their hand.
(though part of this is blamed on the fact I have very little experience with Arksys games and team battles in general cuz I’m primarily a 1v1 guy. So this was stepping on very unfamiliar ground to me).

Then came trial mode during maintenance. Thank Kami for this! With this I was finally able to get some sort of practice in for all characters. And because of that my luck really turned around. I was preforming much better than previously.

All in all, aside from server issues, I had a rather fun and interesting time. Can’t wait for the full game.

2 Likes

Managed to get a lot of games in. Probably played 20ish matches. Not too fond of auto combos. Makes the game feel kinda weird, but maybe I’ll adjust during the next beta.

Only a few matches were pretty close, but majority were full of homing dash/full screen supers/full screen ki charging. It’s early still, so most new people probably don’t realize these moves are really bad to constantly abuse.

Atm I don’t like the game as much as I hoped I would (as someone who stopped caring about DBZ when I was a teen), but I hope it gets better. The auto combo stuff scared me when I saw it early on, but it’s not as bad as I expected it to be. Hopefully combos look meh because people don’t know how to play and not because the combo system is dull.

Android 16 was the only character I really enjoyed, and having armor and grabs made him feel different. So far, he’s the only one that feels different from the rest of the cast, but maybe new additions will spice things up.

I believe this confirms your thought
https://twitter.com/Pen7Ninja/status/909534156773744640
https://twitter.com/mansa1228/status/909147023592394753

1 Like

I beat one person, and lost against one.

So much fun. :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I wish the characters were more varied. That was my biggest concern throughout all of the announcements for this game

more varied? Care to explain plz for clarification

I wish the game had more to the characters that differentiated them from the rest of the cast. More moves, less similar moves like beams, etc. I get that they still all have something that makes them different but the overall gameplan for them still seems to be the same IMO with a few exceptions. I can see why they did it this way though. On the casual side, it’s easier to pick your favorite characters without having to worry so much about learning. Because this game was designed to be easier for the casuals anyway, I don’t think they’re gonna change anything so I’ll just see how the new characters hold up.

It seems to me like the main focus is seeing how well certain characters work with each other rather than character v. character matchups. All the higher level combos I’ve been seeing seem to use some type of assist somewhere and every counter to this game seems to be in the system mechanics which every character has anyway. So it matters less about how different characters are and matters more about similar characters work together which is easier to practice.

1 Like

I think he is pointing that a lot of characters feels “the same” since the have similar tools

Gohan, Vegeta, Cell, Trunks, Buu and Goku all have forward advancing moves to finish their strings.

Most of the characters share either a multi hit projectile barrage, or a beam projectile

18, 16, Frieza, Piccolo and Krilin are the outliners, and I feel they are pretty unique in their ways

16 is the most unique, since it’s the only one who relies in a command grab(18 has one too, but is more secondary)

18 has an assist to make her strings longer

Piccolo has a homing projectile, a parry, and seems to be more suited to control the mid range

Krilin has feints and a good set of projectiles, making him hard to block

Frieza is also pretty unique since all his moveset are projectiles

Edit: Arg, @swordman09 beat me to it!

1 Like

ahhh ok I see where you’re coming from
but again all characters are not out yet so we’ll have to see

All in all I enjoyed the game, but I am really hoping the online experience is much better than what I played. I know it’s a beta, but SFV makes me wary b/c that final game runs about as well as the betas did, even though they did like 7 of them. My experience online with DBFZ this weekend felt very sluggish for almost all of my matches.

If the online isn’t good, then I’m just not going to play it and will stick to locals. Delay netcode feels like crap to play when it’s not running well…its beyond frustrating to just feel like your inputs are wading through molasses.

2 Likes

As far as the netcode goes I decided to go into a japanese lobby (which is really far) and check how it would play out. I got a couple of games with 6 to 9 frames of delay and another couple with 15 to 19. Considering my connection isn’t all that good the netcode held up pretty well.

Yeah, except that I live in Singapore (which has godlike internet) and was playing in Japanese lobbies (who also have godlike internet), and wound up with the same delays you had. Which also matched the delays I had when I got matches against players on the West Coast lobbies. That’s not a great look IMO.

1 Like

That’s pretty strange. I’ve also had reports of people in Chile playing with people in the US with 2-4 frames of delay. Guess the quality of the netcode is still very much up in the air

I’d say the netcode for me is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I get 2-3 frames of delay which is amazing. Other times, I get 6-10 which isn’t too bad but it’s noticeable. A few times though, I get 17-20 frames which is really hard to play. It’s only a beta though so I will wait until the open beta to make a decision.