Do you use a Fight Stick, Fight Pad, or controller?

Fightstick for KI. I never had a SNES growing up but we did have a really nice arcade very close by. Any time I wanted to play KI i had to skateboard down to the arcade and start feeding that bad boy some quarters. It is for this reason that I’ve only ever played KI on stick and it only feels right to me that way.

P.S. Sega Genesis was the superior fighting game console of that era assuming you had 6 buttons controllers. YEAH I SAID IT!

This happens eventually with all of my controllers. The D pad fails to register diagonals about 30% of the time.

Yeah, but the SNES came with 6-button controllers, and anyone that didn’t have a 6-button genesis controller…well, I feel sorry for them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Controller.

I am curious though, for people that also use the controller do you guys use the analog or the dpad? I have been using the analog this whole time but I am starting to wonder if dpad would be better?

I used to use the dpad before I bought my fightstick. Don’t like trying to dash on the analog stick.

1 Like

I can do ok with dashes I just have a lot of trouble with DP’s and sometimes blocking. Sometimes it feels like you have to be super precise when blocking on analog or it will register as simply crouching instead of crouch block :confused:

Do you think dpad would help with that?

I use analog and I do feel the same problem. The thing is fireballs and stuff don’t feel natural on the Dpad to me.

1 Like

Yes. The problem becomes, (after about 2 years), the diagonal inputs for the dpad seem to degrade. This can be fixed by buying a new dpad and replacing it for $10, as someone said above.

1 Like

Honestly don’t know. I grew up playing on NES and SNES, so dpad directional inputs feel a lot more natural to me than the analog stick. A lot of this really just depends on your own preference and what you’re used to.

2 Likes

You play Fulgore, right? Do you ever have any problems with DP on analog? I seem to be able to do it fine from P2 side, but from P1 side seems to want to do a forward jumping punch attack a lot of the time lol

@Ziarist: Yeah I could see that happening. I wouldn’t mind doing that if I had to, I just need to figure out what I should be playing on. I usually and mostly only played MK growing up on Dpad so that is what I was used to, but I thought I needed to do analog for quarter motions and stuff so I learned KI and SF on analog, but I am constantly noticing my defense seems to be worse than it I think it should be due to my crouch blocks sometimes being registered as just crouching, and I know that problem can be resolved on pad.

@STORM179: Same here man, I grew up with Sega Genesis so I am normally used to dpad. I guess I should just try playing with the dpad for a couple of days and just see what feels better to me like you said.

1 Like

With the exception of Glacius, I generally use the regular set up, but with the trigger buttons set to not press as deep.

For Glacius I assigned light punch and middle punch to the paddles under the controller, so that I could comfortably hold several hail all at once. :slight_smile:

I use the red rock candy controller when i play.

Not really. I used too when I did quarter circle twice for a dp but bow that I forced myself to do the normla input,it is fine.

1 Like

custom fighstick, but since I got too used to fight with Wulf my inputs on stardard dps and qcf/qcb are getting worst. I have a lot of failed inputs, but I play kind of hard since arcades so I don’t like using joysticks since today controllers are so…fragile. I’m a woman with small hands, and the sanwa buttons and position on the fs can be a problem sometimes, I’m also used to play with the original “hard buttons” (don’t know the name), and sanwa buttons are really responsive, making a false touch/movement will mess the input. But I guess is a lot of practice or not feeling the game. It’s weird that when I play the original KIs my muscle memory works a little better and my inputs too, so I guess I’m messing the commands somehow.

1 Like

Controler all the way. Though I am working on an idea (with some help) that slightly modifies that concept.

As for analogue VS Dpad, Dpad all the way. I’ve trained people in how to work with KI with no sight, to varying degrees of success. However, one of, if not the very first, rules I tell people is don’t use the analogue stick. You don’t need it, you’ll mess up your inputs and it causes more frustration than it’s worth. Dpad gives you quicker reactions especially for things like blocking, dashing out of a block, jumps etc and you don’t accidentally jump out of a qcf or qcb like you can on stick (I’ve tried it, so I know that happens)

1 Like

Keyboard.

2 Likes

Awesome dude! Yesterday (and probably today too) I have been practicing SFV on DPad and I do think it might be better for me. I can now do DP every single time with no issue and I noticed that I am not messing up while blocking half as much.

It might take a little more getting used to for me on KI though, I am so used to using the analog for the combos it might be tough, plus the placement of the one’s dpad is kind of in a weird spot for me but I am definitely going to try pad for a few days with Ki and see if it helps.

I use a fightstick.

-Quarter circles are harder.
-Staying on the ground is harder.
-DPs are easier.
-Button presses are more accurate.

I’d be happy to train with you if you like and try and help where I can.

1 Like