Do you guys think Season 3 will be more Mature and less limited by its kid friendly rating?

As far as Cinder goes, I’d say it makes him seem more like a broken, absolutely insane example of what was once a human being.
I mean, he’s laughing and wish cracking and having a grand old time, all while SETTING PEOPLE ON FIRE.
His greatest joy in life is burning people alive to further the goals of a eugenicist robot mastermind bent on enslaving humanity “for their own good”. I wouldn’t really call that childish.
For further examples quip happy characters having a grand old time in a horrific situation, I’d recommend checking out Duke Nukem, They Live, King Fury, Superjail, Army of Darkness, and anything involving The Joker. Should help provide further context.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind at all if the game got a little darker at all. As we’ve heard many times though from Adam Isgreen that they have no intention of changing the games rating from T to M. They feel they can do everything they want going froward without having to change it.

Even though Rash is a guest character I feel as if they have their hearts set on keeping it kind of mild. I mean it’s really hard to take the game anymore serious than it is now going froward with a giant cartoon frog that just makes puns and rides toy motorcycles lol.

If anything was to get any darker it would have to be through Ultimates (if they make it in) and through the story or have more stages like Kan-Ras which are more dark and gritty.

3 Likes

Cinder really reminds me of the Marvel character Deadpool. Specifically before the Joe Kelly run where he became something of a Looney Toon – a Looney Toon who kidnapped a blind old woman, and murdered people, but still – and was a mercenary who just never shut-up, and kept making pop culture references and cracking jokes as he killed dudes. I really liked that version of Deadpool. Granted, I was also 13 when I first read DEADPOOL: THE CIRCLE CHASE, so I was hardly a qualified judge of what is or is not mature.

This page still cracks me up, though.

2 Likes

F*CK I FORGOT DEADPOOL
How could I forget to add the Merc with a Mouth to my list of quip spewing murderers? That’s a perfect example.
He’s been represented across various mediums of various ratings, and he’s almost never compromised as a character.
No matter the variation, he’s always the guy who’s quick on the trigger and quicker on the tongue.
Seriously, you’d think I’d have enough of his merchandise around the house that I’d remember to put him on a lost of silver tongued devils once in a while. Good call, dude.

He is to childish and cheesy for a mercinary. He is to self aware he is in a game rather than in the actual KI universe. Hearing it over and over doesn’t help either.

I heard him say this half way through a fight or at the end something like

“good warm up round”

something like that, did they just add that?

You missed the Deadpool post, I take it.
I believe the actual quote was, “Practice round, right?”, though “Warm up round” sounds even better! Because, you know, fire.
And again, childish isn’t really the right adjective for “dude who sets people on fire and laughs at them as he watches them burn to death.” Most would call that sociopathic rather than childish. Any kid that gets enjoyment from setting living beings ablaze needs help. Badly.

Cinder’s a dude who obviously enjoys his work. Considering the grim faced stoicism of the majority of other characters, it’s nice to have a bit of diversity so far as their personalities go.

3 Likes

He is childish…no matter how you try and spin it.

What about him would you consider childish?
If it’s the quips, we’ve given examples of adult oriented characters that do plenty of that.
If it’s the fact that he’s enjoying himself, I weep for a world where adults are I capable of having fun.
And yet again, children usually aren’t well known for sadistic, sociopathic behavior.
What about him would be considered childish, taking the counter arguments into consideration?

Well when you make a statement like “kid friendly rating” in the title, it sounds like it could go the same way again with that topic that got closed down. However, considering we have Gargos to be dealing with…things could get darker.

2 Likes

I might argue that constantly moaning that there isn’t enough gore or revealing costumes in a video game is far more childish than a character who’s able to crāck the occasional joke, but I suppose it’s all a matter of perspective.

Cinder’s personality might be considered to be immature – or at least it seems as though he wears a mask of immaturity – but that’s hardly the same thing as being childish, and a far cry from the character being “kid friendly.”

EDIT: Oh c’mon, forum! I get that the profanity filter here is aggressive, but censoring “crāck” is a bridge too far. It’s like the filter was configured by getting a group of eight year olds in a room, and blocking out anything that made them giggle.

3 Likes

Yes he is but i wouldnt consider it bad and it doesnt mean that its meant for children, in the same way that a gay character wouldnt mean that he is meant to be played by gay people. the game has 19 characters with all kinds of personalities, some are serious, others are childish.

EDIT: Gay = G a y

1 Like

I guess it son the idea that if it’s like GTAV or MK in terms of tone they think it will sell. But that’s besides the point.
As for begin kid friendly, this is the same guy who has killed several people.
I also guess that Hisako isn’t scary enough either.

Or maybe he THINKS everything is a game to him. He’s pretty much overcompetetant. Just cause he’s not a depressed criminal who whines about his condition doesn’t make him childish. Hell the KI1 Cinder wasn’t any different with that whole “I’m just TOO HOT!”

this for sure.

going by that logic it’s safe

to say that Johnny Cage is childish to then, and he beat Shinnok in MKX (granted that was kinda bs). : p

KI has quite a mix of character personalities, from the tragic, to the crazy to the monstrous. Cinder making the occasional joke only just furthers the amount of personality of characters in the game.

2 Likes

Making KI mature wouldn’t help it in the least bit, save those who just like really gory games. In many ways it would probably hurt sales, if anything.

KI as is, has been VERY successful. (We’re getting Season 3). And now that it will be available on PC, a whole ocean of other people will now be able to experience its greatness.

If anything hurt its sales, it was its Xbox One only console exclusivity, but that is it.

Making the game M rated would actually hurt its sales, if anything.

Most game developers want their games experienced by as many people as they can. Just like movies.
99.9% of the highest grossing films in history were rated only PG-13.

No one would argue that Star Wars was for kids or Raiders of the Lost Ark, yet they are all PG films at that. :smiley:

1 Like

Not that I don’t agree with your overall point, ‘Star Wars’ isn’t really the best example; I’m pretty certain George Lucas would argue that it’s absolutely for kids.

Which, of course, doesn’t mean that it can’t or should not be enjoyed by adults as well.

1 Like

Star Wars was never intended to be a kids movie, but a serial space saga. Star Wars is an everybody can enjoy movie. :smiley:

1 Like

Actually, Star Wars is a great example of exactly the same phenomenon that is making people ask for a more “mature” KI. We all saw it as kids, and loved it. Then continued loving all through our teen years and adulthood. Then, when Lucas made the prequels there were a whole bunch of people saying “hey, this movie is too kiddie!” Well yeah… We all saw the first one when we were kids. What did you think? The original was PG. It wasn’t Taxi Driver or Reservoir Dogs.

1 Like

By the same token, Jurassic Park and Lord of the Rings are both quite popular with children (especially Jurassic Park), and they generally aren’t considered to be “kid friendly” in a lot of cases. People being torn in half by dinosaurs, entire armies dying en masse at the hands of a seemingly unconquerable evil, and yet my parents probably got my brother and I twice our weight in toys merchandise for these series.
And even if they’re popular with minors, there are still plenty of adults that enjoy them, because their appeal is not simply about how “mature” the content is. These films are not judged based on their based not on their target audience, but by their QUALITY.
Why is Jurassic Park popular? Because it’s a good film that broke a lot of ground for cinema effects. Why is Lord of the Rings still around even though the source material is almost a century old? Because it’s the story that literally wrote the book on all modern fantasy fiction, and the film series portrayed it in a really appealing way.

Perhaps we shouldn’t be asking “Is this mature?” or “Is this too kid friendly?”, but rather we should be asking…
“Is it good?”

2 Likes

He needs better voice over work.